Most comparable program to UCONN | The Boneyard

Most comparable program to UCONN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
We've seen a lot of evolution in college hoops, especially in recent years as we've seen Duke adopt Cal's recruiting strategy. I started to ask myself which other program is most similar to UConn.
I might be way off, but my thought is Michigan State. It's not a perfect match - it can't be. But, which other program does more with less? And they've been consistent under Izzo, while JC's era has had a few more all or nothing seasons.

Reaction Score
We've seen a lot of evolution in college hoops, especially in recent years as we've seen Duke adopt Cal's recruiting strategy. I started to ask myself which other program is most similar to UConn.
I might be way off, but my thought is Michigan State. It's not a perfect match - it can't be. But, which other program does more with less? And they've been consistent under Izzo, while JC's era has had a few more all or nothing seasons.
Over the last 25 years (and especially the last 15) the best comp for us is probably UNC. Multiple titles, multiple barren years, a bunch of good pros put into the league but not quite the same number as UK, Duke, Kansas or Michigan State.

In the grand scheme of things -- going from a regional school to something genuinely special on a national level -- the only comp is Arizona. Obviously they lack our titles, while we lack the luster of their conference affiliation.

Reaction Score
There's no other program that commands an entire state's fandom. Arizona has ASU, Mich. St. has Michigan. There really is no viable comparison to any other program.

Reaction Score
There's no other program that commands an entire state's fandom. Arizona has ASU, Mich. St. has Michigan. There really is no viable comparison to any other program.

Reaction Score

Reaction Score

Msu was my first thought. But I think matrims thinking makes more sense. Hard to compare our post season (lack of) consistency with msu

Reaction Score
Arkansas, Louisiana, Illinois, Maryland, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Nebraska

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Over the last 25 years (and especially the last 15) the best comp for us is probably UNC. Multiple titles, multiple barren years, a bunch of good pros put into the league but not quite the same number as UK, Duke, Kansas or Michigan State.

In the grand scheme of things -- going from a regional school to something genuinely special on a national level -- the only comp is Arizona. Obviously they lack our titles, while we lack the luster of their conference affiliation.

And, quite frankly, they beat us on coeds and pool parties. AZ vying for the top spot in the nation there.

Reaction Score
When I read the title my first thought was Michigan State.

Especially lately, we haven't been a great regular season program, but still carry a (deserved) reputation for getting it done in March. MSU is the same way -- a lot more Final Fours than they should have based on seeding -- and neither of us get the regular national recognition we deserve.

A decade ago I would have said UNC, with their regular cycles of development to dominance. With our next few recruiting classes we could get back to this level of consistency.

Reaction Score
Arkansas, Louisiana, Illinois, Maryland, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Nebraska

Arkansas maybe, but Louisiana has Tech and Tulane, Illinois has DePaul and ND (yes, I know ND is in Indiana, but they're definitely #1 in Chicago), Maryland has Georgetown, etc. There isn't even a non-football school of any note in CT to compare with UConn.

4in16

uses the force
Reaction Score
Arkansas maybe, but Louisiana has Tech and Tulane, Illinois has DePaul and ND (yes, I know ND is in Indiana, but they're definitely #1 in Chicago), Maryland has Georgetown, etc. There isn't even a non-football school of any note in CT to compare with UConn.
Wisconsin has Marquette, just adding to your list here.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
As far as basketball is concerned - UFla (during Donovan's years) is probably the closest
Fandom - maybe Cuse - Arkansas is a stretch (all 150 people who live there?) Cuse has the state of NY but there are pockets of other schools, just like in CT

Reaction Score
Louisiana Tech and Tulane are to LSU as CCSU is to UConn. Same with Depaul to Illinois.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
This has zip to do with programs, but thought I'd share it.

On the baseball forum I participate in, things were getting spicy between Cubs and Bucs fans tonight. Bucs were getting killed, so some posters brought up Steelers 6 v Bears 1. Which escalated into all the championships across all sports until they determined the championship tally was Chicago 18, Pittsburgh 14.

At which point I chimed in with, "So UConn has more championships in just basketball than Pittsburgh has in all sports?"

I got recs from Chicago.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS