Moriah making her case for WBCA AA | The Boneyard

Moriah making her case for WBCA AA

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Is it time to revive the Mo'-holic thread? Well, all I know is she's been on a tear since her eminently forgettable game at Notre Dame. From the DePaul game on, she's averaged over the course of six games:

15.8 points
2 rebounds
4.7 assists
3.2 steals
and a 2.55:1 ATO ratio

Moreover, it's not just what numbers Moriah tallies, but how she does it. Catching a ball behind her back for a steal (like in the Duke game), splitting defenders as if she 's treating them like bowling pins, attacking the basket like a bolt of lightning, and generally taking our breath away...THAT's how she does it.

I really hope the WBCA is noticing because I want her to be awarded All-American. And if she is, all five starters from the 2013-14 team will have their names on the Huskies of Honor wall. No team in UConn history can say that. Even the legendary 2001-02 squad is missing two of its starters. However, having all five starters honored thusly will be a fitting testament to that magnificent 2013-14 season. It will make the 40-0 team unforgettable.

What's more, Moriah Jefferson won't be forgettable either. And speaking of fitting, I can't imagine a more fitting legacy for the home-schooled whisp of smoke from Glenn Heights, Texas.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Moriah is really, really fast! Yet, she remains under control. That is very difficult to accomplish.

Reaction Score
If she keeps going the way she is, I have no doubt she'll be an All-American. Like the announcers in today's game said "if there's a hotter player right now, I'd like to know who that is."

Reaction Score
Wait till see how she fares against SC, if she can put up some convincing number in that game, then it will be a shoo-in. Otherwise, people will always compare her with players from other teams.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
OK - so since Christmas Moriah has shot 29 - 40 (72.5%) and scored 74 points or 18.5 ppg for the four games. That 72.5% shooting percentage looks pretty good except when compared to her three point shooting - she is 9-12 over that stretch for 75%. (She also has gone 7-9 on FTs for 77.8%)

In addition to the scoring numbers she has amassed 16 steals, 18 assists, 7 rebounds while committing only 9 TOs and 6 PFs - while playing killer defense.

She has raised her shooting percentages for the year to .536/.447/.708.

And some of our greatest PGs never put up big scoring numbers - Sue was at 11.7 ppg and Jen was at 11.4 for her career. Didn't stop either of them being NPOY recipients. (Jens highest scoring year was 12.5 as a junior, Sue's was 14.4 as a Senior) If Moriah continues to play well and Uconn continues to win, even if her scoring drops off somewhat, I think she should be in the running for the Lieberman and definitely for first team on the 10 member team at least.

Interesting fact ... 7 of the 8 players who are getting more than 14 minutes per game for Uconn are shooting .500 or better from the field - the laggard is Chong at a not dreadful .431. Uconn also has 3 players shooting better than .415 from three (plus Kiah who is at .500 but on only two shots. :))

And just an FYI - this is the same time in the season as last year when Moriah really turned on her game - through most of Dec 2013 she was close to the mendoza line on FGs and 3s - she went on an incredible tear in Jan and Feb shooting 65+% as well as dishing assists at a high rate and padding her resume with some monster blocks!!! :rolleyes:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I'm not sure what it is, but I had been thinking the same thing as Miami--Moriah upped her game in January 2014. As a result, I wasn't worried about her slow start this season. Her shooting is phenomenal, as is her defense.

Reaction Score
Yes!!! Yes!! YES!! YES!!!!

I am so happy for her!!! She is playing like a beast!! Beyond a beast!!!! I love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I'm not sure what it is, but I had been thinking the same thing as Miami--Moriah upped her game in January 2014. As a result, I wasn't worried about her slow start this season. Her shooting is phenomenal, as is her defense.
Agree.
We all see the returning players and think they should just carry on at the start of the new season exactly where they left off, but each season the make up of the team changes, sometimes in only minor ways because the primary players are all back, and sometimes quite dramatically. But in either case it is a new season and it takes time to define roles and gel as a team. Last year it was Kelly out and Moriah in and it took a few months for Moriah to really grasp her role. This year the changes were much greater with both Stef and Bria gone and it again has taken a while for the team as a whole and Moriah specifically to figure it all out. I have high hopes that the current roll that Moriah is on will continue the way it did last year and that Jan and Feb will be great.

HGN

Reaction Score
When I think about the improved and AA play of MoJeff it comes down to her new and improved AGGRESSIVENESS. When Mo goes into the game looking to drive to the rim at every opportunity she is either going to get 2 pts or get fouled. Very few players can stay with her when she makes up her mind. (May as well get a ticket for speeding as opposed to slowing down and holding up team traffic). And if she is hitting that jumper its lights out... And it opens up the paint for Morgan and Stewie to operate. Her shooting percentage and scoring hinges on her ability to hit her jumper....And if she continues to hit her jumper at say , a 45% clip and she stays aggressive , UConn is going to the FF.

She has AA talent , they just waiting on her to continue to showcase it.

LET'S GO MO !!

Reaction Score
All American my foot- she looks like a potential Player of the Year! Or one of the "Three to See"!!!
I don't know. She had a few real stinkers and I'm not sure how that would play into Player of the Year. I do think she's playing brilliantly and I'm hopeful that she continues it, right through the NCAA tournament. When she's on, it just makes everyone else's job so much easier.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Buzzboy - your implying I guess that every other POY hasn't had bad games during their year? Seems I remember a few stinkers from Stewart just last year, for example.

Reaction Score
I don't see it as her being more aggressive. It seemed when she was having trouble she was making poor choices - getting out of control on drives, trying passes to covered players, generally pushing and rushing. I find she is better at calculating and picking her spots while not loosing that aggressive edge. She just seems more in control of herself and the game recently.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
I don't see it as her being more aggressive. It seemed when she was having trouble she was making poor choices - getting out of control on drives, trying passes to covered players, generally pushing and rushing. I find she is better at calculating and picking her spots while not loosing that aggressive edge. She just seems more in control of herself and the game recently.

Indeed that aggressive edge is much tighter now...

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
There are four legitimate AAs on this team but unfortunately that cannot happen.

I agree. Personally, I believe Jefferson is having a much better season than KML. (up until now.) Jefferson is much more well-rounded, and a more complete basketball player. Of course, KML does have the capacity to change that.

Reaction Score
SPITFIRE is doing great !!! it's not about this or that award but playing one game at a time and doing the best at what God gave her in Talents

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom