Morgan's Bone Bruise | The Boneyard

Morgan's Bone Bruise

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I have limited, but very unpleasant experience.

I had a very bad one on my shin. The prognosis was "weeks or months."

No improvement for two or three weeks, then a very rapid recovery.

Let's hope.

Tough call for Geno (and Morgan). At what point does he recommend trying for an extra year for Morgan?

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
It is a tough call, but as far as the team, if she can get healthy they really need her this year. And I think most players would prefer to complete eligibility with the ones they came in with.

Uconnrick

Twisted, but still lovable.
Reaction Score
I thought the bone bruise was last year.

Geno said there's no pain, just swelling so I doubt it's a bruise. Must be something structural, most likely some cartilage if it's just swelling. Could she play, probably. Would it cause long term damage, perhaps.

I'm quite sure that the right decision will be reached and I for one, won't be surprised if she redshirts this season.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
I for one, won't be surprised if she redshirts this season.

I believe that the season is too far advanced for her to be able to redshirt this season and retain eligibility to play for three more.

If she is shut down for the rest of this season, we can hope she has two more good (i.e., healthy and injury-free) ones still in her system.

Sad to say, it doesn't look promising.

Reaction Score
I believe that the season is too far advanced for her to be able to redshirt this season and retain eligibility to play for three more.

If she is shut down for the rest of this season, we can hope she has two more good (i.e., healthy and injury-free) ones still in her system.

I agree. Getting her right is the important thing. Shutting her down now should not depend on how many years remain in her career. If its 2 its 2, if its 3 that's great.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
I agree. Getting her right is the important thing. Shutting her down now should not depend on how many years remain in her career. If its 2 its 2, if its 3 that's great.
It's three.

Reaction Score

My understanding is that it doesn't matter how far advanced the season is when the redshirt is declared; it matter when (and how much) she last played.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
My understanding is that it doesn't matter how far advanced the season is when the redshirt is declared; it matter when (and how much) she last played.

Ursus appears to be correct and I was mistaken. I thought eligibility for a redshirt was related to total games played, but John A states (in The Courant, linked by Nan in today's news) that she still qualfies because she has (as of now) played in fewer than 30% of UConn's schedule of 31 regular season games. I believe he is right. I regret my error.

Nobody's perfect. In the same blog he makes reference to the upcoming game on Saturday vs. USF.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
The news today that she has a "small crater" in her kneecap is rife with open questions. Was the bone bruise in the kneecap and lead to a certain amount of bone death? Or did the bruise develop into a mineral cyst which was surgically removed and left to fill in naturally? Or? Or? Her health and what that means for her future contribution at UConn and beyond are paramount. Sounds like red shirt time, particularly if the best solution involves surgical graft/repair.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
The news today that she has a "small crater" in her kneecap is rife with open questions. Was the bone bruise in the kneecap and lead to a certain amount of bone death? Or did the bruise develop into a mineral cyst which was surgically removed and left to fill in naturally? Or? Or? Her health and what that means for her future contribution at UConn and beyond are paramount. Sounds like red shirt time, particularly if the best solution involves surgical graft/repair.
What's the source of this "news"?

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score

Perhaps her physicians need to get in contact with you, and then you can also dial in with meetings on the red shirt question.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
What's the source of this "news"?

It's from Geno in his post-game presser. He compared it to the dents you see in a car hood after a hailstorm.

From my recollection of the presser, RockyMT's characterization of it as a 'small crater' is not meaningfully different than what Geno said. YMMV

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score

Do you have some medical knowledge/background re: these kinds of things? Just trying to put your comments in context.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
It's from Geno in his post-game presser. He compared it to the dents you see in a car hood after a hailstorm.

From my recollection of the presser, RockyMT's characterization of it as a 'small crater' is not meaningfully different than what Geno said. YMMV
Except he said "the news today.."

Reaction Score

That's correct. Two small issues with his blog article:

- He mentions UConn's 31 games as being relevant to the formula, but it is not. The only relevant number of games is 31 + 1 = 32, since the NCAA formula has an automatic allowance for one tournament game. That extra game can make a difference in some scenarios - and it does make a difference in determining whether she played at all in the second half - which would automatically preclude her from redshirting.

- He incorrectly says that Heather Buck took a medical redshirt. Since she never played a game that year, she automatically was eligible to play her fifth year. UConn did not have to apply for a hardship waiver and did not have to submit medical evidence. If she had sat out because she wanted to improve her play or work on her academics, her situation would have been exactly the same.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Do you have some medical knowledge/background re: these kinds of things? Just trying to put your comments in context.

Well, unfortunately yes experience in the form of having a family full of knee and ankle injuries and I represented 3 knee partial and total knee replacement device companies for 20 years. But I would not take a Geno comment as a medical diagnosis. If she has a significant irregularity on the back side of a knee cap that will be a major irritant. The body tries to deal with that and more often than not it becomes worse, not better.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
If there isn't a drop dead date, then why not see how things go and make the decision once she's healthy enough to play? There is nothing to be gained by forcing it. As long as she doesn't have game time the redshirt is preserved.

Reaction Score
hey, what an opportunity for her to Red shirt and get a jump on her Masters for free on us taxpayers.......Wait a minute?..........Second thought?...LOL

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
hey, what an opportunity for her to Red shirt and get a jump on her Masters for free on us taxpayers..Wait a minute?.....Second thought?...LOL

This is why I think we need an Unlike button.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
This is why I think we need an Unlike button.
Feel free to use mine....

3681424-930455-unlike-button.jpg

Reaction Score
If there isn't a drop dead date, then why not see how things go and make the decision once she's healthy enough to play? There is nothing to be gained by forcing it. As long as she doesn't have game time the redshirt is preserved.

Correct on all counts. No need to make a decision until at least late February. Not even then if she suddenly feels a lot better and doesn't really want to redshirt.

Reaction Score
Maybe she won't red shirt? I mean these are STUDENT-athletes after all, and perhaps her #1 priority isn't basketball, but her education (hopefully this is true of all 11 young women on the team)? If she's ready to move on and start her career after four years of college, who knows, perhaps that's best for her? Just offering an alternative idea. Most NCAA athletes go pro in something other than sports.

Last edited:

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
Maybe she won't red shirt? I mean these are STUDENT-athletes after all, and perhaps her #1 priority isn't basketball, but her education (hopefully this is true of all 11 young women on the team)? If she's ready to move on and start her career after four years of college, who knows, perhaps that's best for her? Just offering an alternative idea. Most NCAA athletes go pro in something other than sports.

Not only most, but indeed, almost all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom