Morgan, Kiah out against Oakland | The Boneyard

Morgan, Kiah out against Oakland

Status
Not open for further replies.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
per Jim , both are still a little dinged up.

Morgan - bone bruise to the knee
Kiah - stress reaction in shin

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
Wow, that would be a game to rest the starters and get those two some quality minutes. Oh well.

Justavisitor

Unpopular Opinions
Reaction Score
per Jim , both are still a little dinged up.

Morgan - bone bruise to the knee
Kiah - stress reaction in shin

Wishing both ladies a speedy recovery. That bone bruise can be nasty. Taber's never healed last year and she sustained the injury early in the season against Virginia. From my understanding, it's not a minor thing. And what's with the shin injuries? How do those happen? Griner is dealing with the same thing.

Reaction Score
Wishing both ladies a speedy recovery. That bone bruise can be nasty. Taber's never healed last year and she sustained the injury early in the season against Virginia. From my understanding, it's not a minor thing. And what's with the shin injuries? How do those happen? Griner is dealing with the same thing.

How is Isabelle Harrison doing...?

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
That bone bruise can be nasty. Taber's never healed last year and she sustained the injury early in the season against Virginia.

The worst thing to do with a bone bruise is to continue to play. That's what Spani did, playing substantial minutes in Tenn's next 7 games after the Virginia game. Only after the Stanford game did she sit out and she never really healed completely for the remainder of the season. It sounds like UConn has held Tuck out of practice for more than a week and she likely won't until after Christmas.

Reaction Score
So, our front line takes a hit. More time for Faris & KML at the 4, and for Buck to get some playing time.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
And what's with the shin injuries? How do those happen? Griner is dealing with the same thing.
I imagine they are basically "shin splints". Or possibly could be a small stress fracture. Shin splints happen quite often to lots of athletes. Especially with a lot of running, or pounding on hard floors (i.e. basketball courts).

Reaction Score
I imagine they are basically "shin splints". Or possibly could be a small stress fracture. Shin splints happen quite often to lots of athletes. Especially with a lot of running, or pounding on hard floors (i.e. basketball courts).

I was plagued with shin splints in high school...from running on asphalt tracks indoors in Chicago. They were painful, but didn't seem to affect my performance...

Justavisitor

Unpopular Opinions
Reaction Score
The worst thing to do with a bone bruise is to continue to play. That's what Spani did, playing substantial minutes in Tenn's next 7 games after the Virginia game. Only after the Stanford game did she sit out and she never really healed completely for the remainder of the season. It sounds like UConn has held Tuck out of practice for more than a week and she likely won't until after Christmas.

Depending on how bad it is, a bone bruise can take months to heal. With Spani, it was known that she would not heal during the season last year. She could either try to play through the pain or sit out, knowing it wasn't going to get much better and continuing to play was not going to make it worse. Sitting out a few games was more for pain management, but completely healing wasn't going to happen.

Justavisitor

Unpopular Opinions
Reaction Score

Thanks. Hopefully it's minor.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I was plagued with shin splints in high school...from running on asphalt tracks indoors in Chicago. They were painful, but didn't seem to affect my performance...
Requires a play through the pain attitude. Can be tough.

Reaction Score
Requires a play through the pain attitude. Can be tough.

As I recall our track coach...Paul Yanke...he could play through any amount of my pain! ;) Actually he was a great guy who went on to coach at York High School, a regional track powerhouse back in the day. We won the Class B Illinois Indoor State Championship (unofficial) at the Naperville Relays when I was a junior...some of the best fun I ever had growing up!

Reaction Score
- And for Stewie to rack up some substantial minutes

I'm certainly interested to see how she plays in the next few games. Those "banger" games against Penn State and Maryland certainly knocked her down a peg, as she really struggled at times against that kind of aggressive defense. She turned the ball over way too much and looked to be tentative. That said, she's just a freshman only a few games into her first season. She's definitely a keeper and will hopefully take those as a learning experience and come out strong (especially against Stanford).

Reaction Score
I'm certainly interested to see how she plays in the next few games. Those "banger" games against Penn State and Maryland certainly knocked her down a peg, as she really struggled at times against that kind of aggressive defense. She turned the ball over way too much and looked to be tentative. That said, she's just a freshman only a few games into her first season. She's definitely a keeper and will hopefully take those as a learning experience and come out strong (especially against Stanford).

It's an interesting psychology for someone like Breanna...I don't sense that she was being physically intimidated. She seems to let most of the game's emotion flow right over her. I do think she became tentative after she got roughed up in a couple of double-teams and coughed up the ball...more out of concern that she was hurting the team than fear of contact. One thing the coaches need to work on with her is picking up her dribble when the double team comes...she's giving up most of her advantage when she tries to dribble through smaller help defenders as she did several times in the Penn State and Maryland games. These are the kinds of things CD can work out with her over the next few weeks and months. I'll be surprised if she isn't much better by the Stanford game...

Reaction Score
It's an interesting psychology for someone like Breanna...I don't sense that she was being physically intimidated. She seems to let most of the game's emotion flow right over her. I do think she became tentative after she got roughed up in a couple of double-teams and coughed up the ball...more out of concern that she was hurting the team than fear of contact. One thing the coaches need to work on with her is picking up her dribble when the double team comes...she's giving up most of her advantage when she tries to dribble through smaller help defenders as she did several times in the Penn State and Maryland games. These are the kinds of things CD can work out with her over the next few weeks and months. I'll be surprised if she isn't much better by the Stanford game...

I agree, I didn't get the feeling that she was physically intimidated either. It seemed to be more of a tentative feeling from the game not going her way more than anything. She started to commit those turnovers and backed off to let her teammates take over. That's certainly a different mindset than say, a DT, but understandable, especially from a freshman. And it's always a bit frightening to know that you're raised Geno's ire.

Reaction Score
I agree, I didn't get the feeling that she was physically intimidated either. It seemed to be more of a tentative feeling from the game not going her way more than anything. She started to commit those turnovers and backed off to let her teammates take over. That's certainly a different mindset than say, a DT, but understandable, especially from a freshman. And it's always a bit frightening to know that you're raised Geno's ire.

Geno's ire was his usual subtle way of saying the team wants you to be aggressive regardless... ;)

Olde Coach

Rip, Olde Coach
Reaction Score
The loss of Kiah and Morgan is a very big loss for the Huskies.

It seriously limits the minutes that UConn can run their full and half court pressure defenses -- which lead to turn-overs and easy points. It also means that Stef and Stewie and KML have to play more minutes. UConn's "depth" has just become "shallower."

This should be no problem when playing Oakland or Hartford; But it will be a big problem if one or both of Kiah and Morgan are still on the sideline for the Stanford game.

Both girl's injuries are often depressingly slow to heal.

Keep your fingers crossed, Husky fans.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32