Morgan Cheli is Naismith Semi-Finalist | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Morgan Cheli is Naismith Semi-Finalist

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I don't think putting her in the post makes much sense. Her handles are too good, and she's quite a bit quicker and higher energy than Caroline. Saylor has decent handles, but she's not really comparable to Morgan in this area. She has legit point guard skills. A better comparison is a slightly taller Haley Jones with quicker feet and better handles. Or maybe a taller Ashley Owusu. Having a big PG barreling down the floor can be quite intimidating, especially on the break.

Geno could actually play her at point and it wouldn't be a downgrade from KK or Paige. Tara tried this with Jones and it was disappointing. With Morgan, it wouldn't be.

She'd also make a great wing who can crash the boards. But I also think of her playing D at the top of the key and it would be like having Aubrey up there causing problems for smaller PGs. I suspect it will be hard to keep Morgan and Allie on the bench.
With KK, Ashlynn, Azzi, Allie, and probably Paige on next year's team, I don't think Morgan will play in the back court (unless there is a lot of foul trouble). More likely she will be a 3 or a 4, depending on how players like Ayanna and Ice develop (and on what decision a certain beefy player who shall not be named eventually makes). And if Caroline is able to play and be effective next year (of which I am dubious), that adds some additional complexity to the starting front court decision.

Reaction Score
With KK, Ashlynn, Azzi, Allie, and probably Paige on next year's team, I don't think Morgan will play in the back court (unless there is a lot of foul trouble). More likely she will be a 3 or a 4, depending on how players like Ayanna and Ice develop (and on what decision a certain beefy player who shall not be named eventually makes). And if Caroline is able to play and be effective next year (of which I am dubious), that adds some additional complexity to the starting front court decision.
I think Morgan will end up being used like Evina was, playing 1-3 and occasionally the 4 if necessary. But the 4 will not be her normal role. Think of her as a bigger Evina who also occasionally played the 4 but whose natural position was as a guard. If anyone thinks Caroline belongs in the backcourt as a wing or an sg, Morgan with her greater quickness most assuredly does. We’ll be able to switch 1-5 on defense with her in the lineup.

Reaction Score
I don't think putting her in the post makes much sense. Her handles are too good, and she's quite a bit quicker and higher energy than Caroline. Saylor has decent handles, but she's not really comparable to Morgan in this area. She has legit point guard skills. A better comparison is a slightly taller Haley Jones with quicker feet and better handles. Or maybe a taller Ashley Owusu. Having a big PG barreling down the floor can be quite intimidating, especially on the break.

Geno could actually play her at point and it wouldn't be a downgrade from KK or Paige. Tara tried this with Jones and it was disappointing. With Morgan, it wouldn't be.

She'd also make a great wing who can crash the boards. But I also think of her playing D at the top of the key and it would be like having Aubrey up there causing problems for smaller PGs. I suspect it will be hard to keep Morgan and Allie on the bench.
I think that Morgan will adapt to college game quicker than Allie.

Reaction Score
I think that Morgan will adapt to college game quicker than Allie.
When Geno discussed the two recruits when
They signed he noted thatt Morgan was a two way player and mentioned her ability to rebound
Described Allie as a great “scorer” but defense was
Not her strong suit(I’m paraphrasing)

After watching the game against Long Island Lutheran, with a team that consisted of many
Highly recruited players, I would be surprised if Morgan isn’t ready to contribute right away

Re Allie the hs video does not tell much
But her making and contributing on the usa
National team earning a spot competing against
Players 1-2 classes ahead of her tells me she
Is a “player”

Look foward to seeing them play

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Regarding Allie, she apparently has a complete game. Allegedly, she can drive to the basket effectively. But her strongest point seems to be as an elite shooter, not much different from Azzi. She should be a 50/40/85 shooter.

I’ve seen a couple of Morgan’s games on video. Her HS coach compares her to Haley Jones, from the same school. Her AAU coach compares her to a former player, Sabrina Ionescu. I see elements of both. She reminds me of HaJo with a better shot. I haven’t seen the whole class, but she truly seems like a top-5 player. We’ll see how her team does in the Calif. tourney, but she is the primary reason that Mitty is #1 in the nation.

Reaction Score

Yea, that is what I meant - at the wing/SF spot. I agree, she strikes me as having a lot of talent, capability, and general basketball savvy and awareness.

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
It is interesting to see the names people are comparing her to. Evina, Haley Jones, Sabrina, Aubrey, Owusu, Amy Duran, Saylor - who appears to be thriving at Arkansas, I am very happy for her - Caroline, and in a previous thread, Katie Lou.

Heady company.

From what limited clips of her that I have seen, she doesn`t really fit any of them precisely but I do see elements of all of them in her play.

I do know that I am thrilled she is coming to UConn and I have no doubt that she will find a role as an impact player. She seems to fit perfectly into the UConn style of play at both ends of the floor. UConn is at its best when it gets out in transition and that style of play seems to agree with her!

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score

My intent was to wonder how Morgan might compare to recent highly regarded UConn recruits of similar size with some overlapping skills. I don't think in terms of her playing in the post.

Reaction Score
My intent was to wonder how Morgan might compare to recent highly regarded UConn recruits of similar size with some overlapping skills. I don't think in terms of her playing in the post.
IMO Cheli’s combination of ball skills, quickness, defense, and floor vision at her size are better than anyone UConn has signed in my recent memory. Collier was the same size but a much different skill set. Cheli could be ideal for the 3 spot while being capable of backing up the PG. But they share two things, they’re both relentless and tremendous teammates.

Reaction Score
IMO Cheli’s combination of ball skills, quickness, defense, and floor vision at her size are better than anyone UConn has signed in my recent memory. Collier was the same size but a much different skill set. Cheli could be ideal for the 3 spot while being capable of backing up the PG. But they share two things, they’re both relentless and tremendous teammates.
If we play a more natural 3, meaning Morgan, Caroline or Q, I think she might be the favorite to start. Because of the potential guard talent, however, we could easily use another guard there.

Paige could certainly be outstanding as the 3, or any of positions 1-4 as she has shown this year. If KK started at the point that might be the most likely position for Paige with Azzi at the 2. That would have Ashlynn, Allie, Morgan, Q and Caroline presumably off the bench, with Morgan and Caroline possibly getting some time at the 4.

If Paige starts at the point instead, with Azzi at the 2, then Morgan could start at the 3, but Geno could consider Ashlynn as well. Basically if Paige and Azzi return, then I don't see Morgan starting unless both of our freshmen starters this year don't start next year. Unless she started at the 4.

More likely might be her competing for the backup 3 with Q and Caroline, and some at the 4, although her Evina like versatility could have her at many positions if our bad injury luck continues.

Reaction Score
If we play a more natural 3, meaning Morgan, Caroline or Q, I think she might be the favorite to start. Because of the potential guard talent, however, we could easily use another guard there.

Paige could certainly be outstanding as the 3, or any of positions 1-4 as she has shown this year. If KK started at the point that might be the most likely position for Paige with Azzi at the 2. That would have Ashlynn, Allie, Morgan, Q and Caroline presumably off the bench, with Morgan and Caroline possibly getting some time at the 4.

If Paige starts at the point instead, with Azzi at the 2, then Morgan could start at the 3, but Geno could consider Ashlynn as well. Basically if Paige and Azzi return, then I don't see Morgan starting unless both of our freshmen starters this year don't start next year. Unless she started at the 4.

More likely might be her competing for the backup 3 with Q and Caroline, and some at the 4, although her Evina like versatility could have her at many positions if our bad injury luck continues.
For the most part I agree. The unusual glut of guards and wings headed by Bueckers and Fudd will certainly limit the PT of the younger kids for next season. But in the following year when things empty out a little, I believe the cream will rise and Cheli will be an impact player no matter which spot she plays.

Reaction Score
These two (and hopefully Strong) are very good players who will help UConn stay in the mix at the top of women’s basketball! As important as recruiting has always been, with the incredible explosion of elite talent we are currently seeing across the country, it will become even more so as the talent spreads out beyond the usual four to six elite schools.

Reaction Score
Pretty awesome. Huge honor for Morgan and what an impressive list! Holy crap!! Keep growing the game, young ladies and coaches!!

Reaction Score
When Geno discussed the two recruits when
They signed he noted thatt Morgan was a two way player and mentioned her ability to rebound
Described Allie as a great “scorer” but defense was
Not her strong suit(I’m paraphrasing)

After watching the game against Long Island Lutheran, with a team that consisted of many
Highly recruited players, I would be surprised if Morgan isn’t ready to contribute right away

Re Allie the hs video does not tell much
But her making and contributing on the usa
National team earning a spot competing against
Players 1-2 classes ahead of her tells me she
Is a “player”

Look foward to seeing them play
I watched all of her Fiba games and by the end of the tournament, her team knew she was a bucket on the 3 ball and started to look for her. She can shoot. I would say at least 40 to 50 pct on the 3 ball. Good on drives and very good left hand. Defense, I wasnt watching that much so I believe Geno.

Reaction Score
For the most part I agree. The unusual glut of guards and wings headed by Bueckers and Fudd will certainly limit the PT of the younger kids for next season. But in the following year when things empty out a little, I believe the cream will rise and Cheli will be an impact player no matter which spot she plays.
I have a feeling Morgan will end up defining the Huskies for a few years. She should have a heckuva team to lead, especially if Strong joins her. Just watch the two-player game she runs with McKenna Wolizcko at MittyHS for a clue to what she'll be able to do with Sarah Jana Ice and Ayanna once it's their team. And don't worry, the other guards -- KK Ash Allie and Q -- will have a thing or two to contribute as well.

Reaction Score
Love your optimism re but very unlikely
10 months after surgery when practice starts
That she will even be cleared for fulll contact
Let alone ready to contribute
Given CD uncertain status JAL Ms Patterson
Coming off surgery as well
It’s hard to see how incoming freshman would not
Be sorely needed

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors