More UConn Related News | The Boneyard

More UConn Related News

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Does anybody know who the first college coach to use male practice players was? I have yet to find an answer to that generic question....I did find this interesting article from 2004 which includes some UConn thoughts on the subject.

COLLEGE BASKETBALL; For These Men, Lots of Guts But Little Glory

I don't know the answer to that question, but I went into a time warp reading this story, initially unawares that it was written when GG was still at Duke.

Like many schools ND uses a full team of male practice players and they are vital this year, given the injuries that have hit the Irish. They're pretty accomplished hoopsters: last year they won the outdoor Bookstore Basketball Tournament, an invitational to the ND community (undergrads, grad students, faculty) that at draws thousands of players. Former ND hoopster Hannah Huffman's brother is one of players and apparently has got quite a stroke.

Reaction Score
Kenny K is back with a vengeance..............only view this video if you are prepared for an anti-UConn barrage that even his side kick doesn't agree with.............I would advise any viewers to not repeat parts of his conversations that are frowned upon here......starts at 4:57........interesting thoughts on Texas too.........

Login on Twitter

Reaction Score
It is obvious his hatred for UConn simply because they are better than any team he follows. In terms of what he mentions about what we can't discuss, I do not think they are far off :(

Reaction Score

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
2 weeks before the season starts with no real reason given. University "leadership" are almost always pukes who will disappoint. Very powerful statement from the fired coach.
Et tu Rocky? I am surprised with all your internet prowess you weren't able to unearth the information going back 2+ years into abuse allegations against this coach. He was going to be fired by prior AD Rhoades but was given a reprieve after he underwent counseling for his behavior and the fact he had 2 years left on his contract. Add in a player protest last year, 7 team defections and more of the same behavior this year and voila, you have a firing. Basically, there are two sides to every story and somewhere in between lies the truth.

Univ Lousiana Lafayette also fired their longtime coach for much the same behavior. Honestly, this coach doesn't get it with the behavior he had and to insinuate that Geno does the same is wrong. While I know Saban is a bit rougher than Geno and certainly doesn't handle transfer outs the same way, I have never heard allegations of abuse. Geno is not everyone's cup of tea but he has never had an issue communicating nor using derogatory language or creating a hostile environment.
Here are a few of the articles
Mizzou softball coach Ehren Earleywine said he was told to ‘start looking for another job’

Mizzou fires softball coach, cites leadership concerns

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Et tu Rocky? I am surprised with all your internet prowess you weren't able to unearth the information going back 2+ years into abuse allegations against this coach. He was going to be fired by prior AD Rhoades but was given a reprieve after he underwent counseling for his behavior and the fact he had 2 years left on his contract. Add in a player protest last year, 7 team defections and more of the same behavior this year and voila, you have a firing. Basically, there are two sides to every story and somewhere in between lies the truth.

Univ Lousiana Lafayette also fired their longtime coach for much the same behavior. Honestly, this coach doesn't get it with the behavior he had and to insinuate that Geno does the same is wrong. While I know Saban is a bit rougher than Geno and certainly doesn't handle transfer outs the same way, I have never heard allegations of abuse. Geno is not everyone's cup of tea but he has never had an issue communicating nor using derogatory language or creating a hostile environment.
Here are a few of the articles
Mizzou softball coach Ehren Earleywine said he was told to ‘start looking for another job’

Mizzou fires softball coach, cites leadership concerns

Good job. But still, 2 weeks before the season?

Reaction Score
A place to put additional UConn Related news...hope these haven't been seen elsewhere...

UConn Women's Hoops on Twitter

A local young woman may require a Geno look see. She is 5 ft 6 inches a guard, up against a team with 3 6ft 2 or larger girls hit 12 threes and scored 38 points, Ali Berry. Both are school records, She speaks about in a DNRonline.com video. The school is East Rockingham County H.S. the Eagles. Now they go to Nat Butler's school for the HS Tournament. If I could pull that Up I would but I'm technically challenged.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Good job. But still, 2 weeks before the season?
As I heard, the SEC has put out the mandates on the positive coaching alliance stuff and given the kids have been practicing since school came back, I suspect that this coach has not really modified his behavior and because he was on a zero tolerance and his pay was a sunk cost for this year (expires in June)-wham, he was let go.

One other note in the article-the coach referenced an AD Staff person who was his sports direct link for oversight in the Athletic Department that was not at the meeting and the coach was miffed by it, as with all facets of life, all AD's have the good cop/bad cop metaphor where the day to day has to be the good cop and the authority/boss has to be the bad cop. The coach will still get his pay for this year but his contract is over on June 30. He is free to find another role after that date.

This also goes to show those out there that for the non-revenue sports, Athletic Departments do not automatically renew coaches with one year or more left on the contract. I have seen this occur quite regularly for softball, swimming, soccer, tennis, gymnastics, lacrosse and mid-level D1 basketball (the MAAC to be specific). So the theory that coaches must be told before there's one year left so they can recruit is simply a myth. Just like with life, we are all day to day...

Reaction Score
You mean there are ten basketball players that are smarter and better then Kia Nurse?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom