More Talk out of BTN | Page 2 | The Boneyard

More Talk out of BTN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Limbo Land

Pounding Down the Doors!
Reaction Score
You beat me to the punch here. The only way the Pac-12 gets to 16 is take four schools. Some of them most come from the Big-12. The Big-12 is currently at 10. If the SEC and B1G were each to add 2 (obviously only 3 from the ACC ;)) that essentially leaves the remanants of the Big XII and the ACC to combine as a conference. Not sure that is actually realistic.

Its very realistic when you think about it and doable. Right now here is where the teams are at
Big10 14 teams
Big12 10 teams
SEC 14 teams
Pac12 12 teams
ACC has 14 going into next year

So Big 10 takes UVA and UNC
PAC takes Texas, OK, OK St., and Texas Tech
SEC takes NC State, and Florida St.

That leaves the ACC with 8 and Big12 with 8. Everyone is waiting on Maryland but the real wild card is Texas. The problem is if Texas jumps out of the Big 12 then Fla St. stays and Uconn is out of luck. They just don't want us for whatever reason. I see a merger of the two leagues (east vs. west) and this is worst case scenario for a team like Uconn and Cincy. They don't need to add more teams because they could do a psuedo merge and be at the magic 16 number. Everyone is then set at their 16 teams. We have to hope that the ACC loses more then 2 and Big 12 goes on the assault.

Reaction Score
You're hoping that partial membership (or "just the tip") results in eventual full membership (or "full penetration"). It will never happen, I just wanted to use a "just the tip" reference.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Its very realistic when you think about it and doable. Right now here is where the teams are at
Big10 14 teams
Big12 10 teams
SEC 14 teams
Pac12 12 teams

That leaves the ACC with 8 and Big12 with 8. Everyone is waiting on Maryland but the real wild card is Texas. The problem is if Texas jumps out of the Big 12 then Fla St. stays and Uconn is out of luck. They just don't want us for whatever reason. I see a merger of the two leagues (east vs. west) and this is worst case scenario for a team like Uconn and Cincy. They don't need to add more teams because they could do a psuedo merge and be at the magic 16 number. Everyone is then set at their 16 teams. We have to hope that the ACC loses more then 2 and Big 12 goes on the assault.

So the big 5 have 64 teams and if 64 is a meaningful magic number (ie 4 X 16) then I am afraid there is no seat for us...unless we can dislodge Wake Forest.

pj

Reaction Score
Big10 14 teams
Big12 10 teams
SEC 14 teams
Pac12 12 teams

If you're really going to throw everything up for grabs, you really think:
  • The newly configured ACC-B12 would prefer Iowa State to UConn? Especially since with the loss of Texas/TT/OK/OK State they have only 5 teams out west?
  • B1G refuses to add Kansas and Georgia Tech to reach 18?
  • SEC refuses to add Kansas and Va Tech to reach 18?
I don't understand the fascination with 16 team conferences. I think in reality the B1G, Pac, and SEC are looking at conference TV networks and how to capture some of ESPN's $5 bn annual profits for themselves. To have enough content to have a successful network, they need lots of inventory -- they need 20+ teams. That's where we're heading, if the conference network idea pans out, which is not certain.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
If the Big 12 loses 4 teams they are down to 6, not 8. That opens up two more seats.

Limbo Land

Pounding Down the Doors!
Reaction Score
Good Call and Better Math... I guess that means all is well!

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I'd take partial membership in Sam's Club over our current situation.

Are you kidding me. They are about to get raided and fall apart. If we don't get into Costco we are screwed.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
I think in reality the B1G, Pac, and SEC are looking at conference TV networks and how to capture some of ESPN's $5 bn annual profits for themselves. .

Bingo. ESPN gets paid around $6.00 for all their channels (most of it ESPN. Under 60 cents total for ESPNU, Classic and News, around .70 cents for ESPN2. )

Would Cable buy a package for the BTN, PAC-12, B-12, SEC and ACC for that amount that includes a Regional (SNY) or whatever?

I think so. Easily. I'd cancel ESPN :) Purchase the College Sports package, I get the localand basic cable stations with my internet subscription, add Netflix and Spotify and use Vudu for PPV.

This is the fear.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
And that is why these 12-13 year over the air packages (and any GOR associated with them) are smoke within a few years. How content is delivered and received are going to make these long term TV contracts meaningless. And, if the analysis of the Big 12 GOR is correct, that GOR is an extension of the TV contract which means when the TV contract is revisited the GOR associated with it will go away.

Reaction Score
the Big Ten does not even offer Notre Dame partial membership, why would the offer UConn partial membership? I like the thought process, but it does not look like a realistic option.

pj

Reaction Score
the Big Ten does not even offer Notre Dame partial membership, why would the offer UConn partial membership? I like the thought process, but it does not look like a realistic option.

Partial membership = (full membership for sports other than football) + (non-membership for football). Notre Dame's football is its most valuable product, UConn's football is its least valuable product. The B1G will want to buy UConn's non-football and Notre Dame's football (non-football as well, but their football is the prize). For UConn it's easier to sell a partial membership than a full membership.

Putting some numbers: Suppose UConn and ND non-football are both worth $12 mn/yr to the BTN, and UConn football is worth $8 mn/yr and ND football worth $40 mn/yr. Suppose the average B1G school brings in $10 mn non-football + $20 mn football = $30 mn/yr payout. Bringing in UConn as a partial member for a payout of $10 mn brings a profit of $2 mn to the BTN and is a good deal; bringing in UConn as a full member for a $30 mn payout loses $10 mn/yr and is a loser. Bringing in ND as a partial member for a payout of $10 mn brings a profit of $2 mn to BTN which is OK but not exciting; bringing in ND as a full member brings a profit of $22 mn which is very exciting. The B1G would rather hold out and bargain for full membership with ND; they would rather offer partial membership to UConn.

Not saying this is how they would think, but it's one scenario that could be the case.

Ultimately, I think UConn adds sufficient value to be a full member, but it appears to be a marginal candidate.

Reaction Score
In the future, could you see the Big Ten men’s basketball tournament played in New York at Madison Square Garden or the Barclays Center, since the Big Ten wants to establish that market? – J.C

I am sure the Big Ten will consider it. The conference will open an office in New York City in the near future to establish a presence in the East, where it has a burgeoning foothold with Rutgers and Maryland joining for 2014. And having some events in the metro area is almost a must to further establish the Big Ten in the area. The men’s hoop tourney is a natural for either of the venues you mentioned. And there could be an early-season football game in MetLife Stadium, too. I also have heard talk about maybe playing football games in Baltimore (M&T Stadium) and Washington (FedEx Field). Anything to enhance the Big Ten brand in the heavily populated Eastern corridor.

Any talk of partial membership is a nonstarter. From the Big Ten's perspective, why in god's green earth would you monkey around with partial memberships?

UConn's best bet is to have someone at UConn (like Warde "Sunshine" Manuel) use his forceful personality and charismatic leadership qualities and enlist as many media lobbying types as he could and sell Delany on UConn's value to the metro New York area.

The Big Ten made a push into the northeast, but without UConn, it is a feeble push. Penn State has a central, western Penn character, RU and MD don't do it, especially with respect to New York. UConn is the logical answer to the Big Ten's push into the most populated area of the country.

Instead, Cincy is going to be our great rival, in between trips to the Hallmark store. I'll give manuel a pass for a bit, seeing what a bang up job he has done with the 2014 schedule.

Reaction Score
Penn State has a central, western Penn character, RU and MD don't do it, especially with respect to New York. UConn is the logical answer to the Big Ten's push into the most populated area of the country.

If you're talking about the region and the campus, you're right, though I'd describe it more like an Alabama or Kentucky character. But if you're talking about the fanbase, it is Philly/Harrisburg/Scranton/WB.

Reaction Score
Michigan filled the Barclays center for their hoops game earlier this year. Uconn should promise OSU and Michigan a game every other year in MetLife or Gillette. UMich fans I know are upset only 10k seats available for them at the Rent

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
UMich fans I know are upset only 10k seats available for them at the Rent

No school in the world would offer them 10k seats unless they were in dire straights and needed the revenue. Most schools cap visiting team allotments to 5k max.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Michigan filled the Barclays center for their hoops game earlier this year. Uconn should promise OSU and Michigan a game every other year in MetLife or Gillette. UMich fans I know are upset only 10k seats available for them at the Rent
Unless the desired stadium is within the boarderlines of the Constitution State, I'd tell them to pound sand (It was a lot more colorful, but I thought better of it)...unless they want to give up a home game date. MetLife is in New Jersey. Connecticut doesn't even share a boarder with NJ. I want a Big 10 invite as much as the next fan, but I'd UConn not enter the oldest profession in the world to do it.

Reaction Score
Unless the desired stadium is within the boarderlines of the Constitution State, I'd tell them to pound sand (It was a lot more colorful, but I thought better of it)...unless they want to give up a home game date. MetLife is in New Jersey. Connecticut doesn't even share a boarder with NJ. I want a Big 10 invite as much as the next fan, but I'd UConn not enter the oldest profession in the world to do it.

What you prefer is irrelevant. People prostitute themselves because it beats starving. That would be a small price to pay to get out of our current mess.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score

I thought it was resolved that everyone on this board had already resorted hooking for UConn? HFD told me that such was the only way to get aboard the USSCT - have I been the only one working the last three months?

Husky25

Reaction Score
What you prefer is irrelevant. People prostitute themselves because it beats starving. That would be a small price to pay to get out of our current mess.
Really, Sherlock? You wasted calories typing that? Whatever any of us on this message board does is irrelevent.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
Hell no. I been selling my sorry on every street corner down my way.

Husky25

Reaction Score
I thought it was resolved that everyone on this board had already resorted hooking for UConn? HFD told me that such was the only way to get aboard the USSCT - have I been the only one working the last three months?
In a state with 9.6% unemployment? Maybe. :).

Reaction Score
Really, Sherlock? You wasted calories typing that? Whatever any of us on this message board does is irrelevent.

O.K., I tried avoiding the use of the word stupid but you've got me. Congrats.

It was a stupid post because none of us are going to get what we want and that is not even the realistic goal at this point. The realistic goal at this point is getting out of where we are to a level that our athletic programs can remain relevant nationally in hoops (and soccer) and regionally in football (and everything else).

Next time I will be more direct since that is what you want.

Husky25

Reaction Score
O.K., I tried avoiding the use of the word stupid but you've got me. Congrats.

It was a stupid post because none of us are going to get what we want and that is not even the realistic goal at this point. The realistic goal at this point is getting out of where we are to a level that our athletic programs can remain relevant nationally in hoops (and soccer) and regionally in football (and everything else).

Next time I will be more direct since that is what you want.

It's not a stupid post. UConn is attempting to comply with all the criteria current Big Ten schools meet (enrollment, increased endowment, AAU status, etc. ). Therefore, chances are excellent that the capacity of UConn's home field will also be expended as a condition of being invited to the Big Ten.

Given that, playing UConn games in a locale that does not benefit the University or the state it represents should be a non-starter. Will the Rent expand to 110,000? No, but the alternatives do not approach that figure either. And what about the other Big Ten schools? If UConn make conscessions for OSU and Michigan, then you have MSU, Illinois, and Nebraska et al all lining up for the same thing.

There's a difference between making a common sense deal, and what was proposed. You get nothing for giving up your dignity in exchange for nothing, except lost dignity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom