More Talk out of BTN | The Boneyard

More Talk out of BTN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
@TuxedoYoda: Big 10 Network senior writer Tom Dienhart sees B1G, Pac 12, SEC and Big 12 all going to 16, http://post original url/pBGZMCVfUo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction Score
Regurgitation of conventional "wisdom" but thanks for posting.

Reaction Score
The big question is.....Is Uconn part of that 64? Or are we just outside of that in the ACC?

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
And the question is, can we be team 64 in the field of 4X16?

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
How is the Pac going to get to 16 without cooperation from the other conferences?

This is what kills me about CR, they'll grab teams just for the money yet somehow conferences still seem to be "traditional".

You want to run it like a business? Then run it like a business. Scrap the current conference set up, determine how many teams will sit at the big table and then reform the conferences logically so that conferences are evenly constructed and have access to fertile recruiting grounds. This can be done and with most of the current rivalries staying intact.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
The only way for the PAC12 to get to 16 teams would be to take teams from the B12 (Texas, Texas Tech, Oklahoma, Oklahoma St, Kansas, Kansas St). I don't see a scenario where both the PAC12 and Big12 get to 16 teams. Either the PAC12 stays at 12 teams and the Big12 lives...or the PAC12 expands to 16 at the expense of the Big12. I just don't see a scenario in which both of those conference live and get to 16 teams.

Reaction Score
Also, this question of the ACC and B1G playing tourneys in New York. How are they going to swing that if the A10, Catholics or BE decide they want the venues each year? Yes, the 3 conferences will not pay what the B1G and ACC would be willing to pay, but MSG and Barclays may decide that having a steady customer paying less is worth more than a once in 5 years customer paying more.

If the ACC and B1G committed to having their conference in NYC once every 2 or 3 years, only then can I see the venues becoming unavailable.

Reaction Score
The only way for the PAC12 to get to 16 teams would be to take teams from the B12 (Texas, Texas Tech, Oklahoma, Oklahoma St, Kansas, Kansas St). I don't see a scenario where both the PAC12 and Big12 get to 16 teams. Either the PAC12 stays at 12 teams and the Big12 lives...or the PAC12 expands to 16 at the expense of the Big12. I just don't see a scenario in which both of those conference live and get to 16 teams.

You beat me to the punch here. The only way the Pac-12 gets to 16 is take four schools. Some of them most come from the Big-12. The Big-12 is currently at 10. If the SEC and B1G were each to add 2 (obviously only 3 from the ACC ;)) that essentially leaves the remanants of the Big XII and the ACC to combine as a conference. Not sure that is actually realistic.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
You beat me to the punch here. The only way the Pac-12 gets to 16 is take four schools. Some of them most come from the Big-12. The Big-12 is currently at 10. If the SEC and B1G were each to add 2 (obviously only 3 from the ACC ;)) that essentially leaves the remanants of the Big XII and the ACC to combine as a conference. Not sure that is actually realistic.

Especially since the Pac is going to want the Big 12's 4 best or at least Texas and TT/Okla and two others depending on how the politics dictates.

Reaction Score
Especially since the Pac is going to want the Big 12's 4 best or at least Texas and TT/Okla and two others depending on how the politics dictates.

Unless the Pac-12 were willing to take Boise (they aren't, at least for now...who knows?), It would either have to be from the Big XII (or BYU which is possible, but hard with the political fight Texas will have to bring their ugly sisters along). That leaves the Big XII with 6 and needing 10. They would have to band with the remaining ACC schools or a mixture of them and Uconn/Cincy. The only way it seems feasible for 4x16 is the absolute destruction of the ACC.

Reaction Score
Not sure if this has been discussed, but could UCONN propose a similar relationship with the Big 10 as ND has done with the ACC? Why not affiliate all of our olympic sports(mens and womens hoops inlcuded) with the conference where there is value, agree to a 6 game football slate(2 home, 3 away, 1 mich or ohio state at met life or foxboro) , and have provisions like rent expansion, aau status, etc for full membership over the course of 5-7 years.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Not sure if this has been discussed, but could UCONN propose a similar relationship with the Big 10 as ND has done with the ACC? Why not affiliate all of our olympic sports(mens and womens hoops inlcuded) with the conference where there is value, agree to a 6 game football slate(2 home, 3 away, 1 mich or ohio state at met life or foxboro) , and have provisions like rent expansion, aau status, etc for full membership over the course of 5-7 years.
As much as a partial relation is troubling to me due to its inherently unstable nature, I like this. I'm pretty sure if the B1G would do a partial member for ND, they won't do it for us, but I like it.

Reaction Score
Basketball, hockey and more NY/ New England exposure. They only need to give us about 5 mill to make us happy.

Reaction Score
How is the Pac going to get to 16 without cooperation from the other conferences?

Take the best of the MtnWest, which not only gives the Pac new teams, but has the twofer of killing the 5th or 6th strongest conference.

Boise, Nevada, Fresno, SD St

pj

Reaction Score
Thoughts on the various issues raised here:

1. B1G partial membership. The B1G won't do it for Notre Dame because then Notre Dame will have no incentive to make their football team a full member, which is what the B1G wants. The B1G may do it for UConn because they get our basketball/Olympic sports as full members, which add great value for the BTN, while not having to give a full share to our football program which currently would detract value from the B1G, and can obtain those sports at a bargain price. Also, if the B1G sees us as plausible expansion candidate for full membership later, this gives them a chance to help UConn build a B1G brand identity and maintain its athletic programs in a way that is profitable to both schools. Olympic sports will do fine scheduling an odd number of members. If B1G full expansion to UConn is not in the cards by summer, UConn should propose this to the B1G. It makes a lot of sense for them.

2. Pac expansion. The best move for them is of course Texas and Oklahoma, but if they can't have that, they should consider an East Coast expansion. If they go to 18 with three 6-team pods, then a 6-team East Coast pod will cut down on travel. The TV markets on the East Coast are big and the exposure would be great for the west coast schools, who complain about never playing in prime time in the East -- out west their games start too late. Occasional travel East would get them those prime time games and raise the league's visibility on ESPN/Fox.

3. UConn part of the 64. UConn is already one of the 64 most valuable athletic programs / fanbases / TV markets / universities, but that's not good enough because the 64-team power conferences have a lot of legacy programs not in the top 64. To get in we have to be consensus top 50. Meanwhile the B1G seems to be focusing on top 40 universities -- the real prizes -- and leaving marginal candidates for last. Given accidents of geography and politics, the university has an obligation to build itself up rapidly and get into that consensus top 50/40. That will take some time but it's the only way to guarantee a successful outcome.

Reaction Score
Have to disagree with you on your reason #1 pj. Reason being is because that is exactly what will never get us a full member invite! If the B1G received our all sports besides football and was allowed to air it exculsively on their network I think enough viewers in CT would demand that the BTN be put on the basic cable package. Once that happens what incentive would there be for the B1G to invite us full time when they got what they wanted with the increased revenue from the CT viewers?

Unless of course there was some sort of provision in the contract that states we would be offered full time membership in the future I don't see this being a good thing for us. Competition wise sure it

Reaction Score
It isn't even a pipe dream. It isn't happening even if it makes sense for the B10 to some degree. The big boys just don't need partial members. There isn't enough in it for them. The only conferences that have partial members are subpar conferences.

I was stating what the reasons for us to get partial B10 membership would be. By no means do I think that would ever happen. I think full membership is far more likely, as unlikely as it is.

Reaction Score
So it's ok for the B1G to take Rutgers as a full time member but not Uconn? that. By this time next year Uconn will be on it's way to the ACC, B12 or B1G as a full time member.

pj

Reaction Score
Have to disagree with you on your reason #1 pj. Reason being is because that is exactly what will never get us a full member invite! If the B1G received our all sports besides football and was allowed to air it exculsively on their network I think enough viewers in CT would demand that the BTN be put on the basic cable package. Once that happens what incentive would there be for the B1G to invite us full time when they got what they wanted with the increased revenue from the CT viewers?

Unless of course there was some sort of provision in the contract that states we would be offered full time membership in the future I don't see this being a good thing for us. Competition wise sure it

Obviously there is a risk for UConn that you're giving away what the B1G prizes most and will then have a tough sell for the football membership. However, here are two things to consider:

Worst case -- we never get the B1G football invite. Let's say the deal would be UConn would get membership in all sports but football, receives $10 mn / yr for its grant of rights in those sports, and also gets a scheduling alliance with 4 football games a year, 2 home and 2 away, with a la carte payment terms for those.

Obviously that's far better than the NBE and within hailing distance of ACC value if you can build up the football program. Say you get $3 mn for the two home B1G football games and $3 mn for the other home football games, now you're at $16 mn per year. ACC is at $17 mn. Also, as an independent, if we ever make a BCS bowl or national playoffs, we don't have to share income with conference mates.

Upside -- case for a B1G invite. UConn fans in NE/NYC will sign up for the BTN to see UConn basketball. The BTN gets detailed market feedback and can estimate the value of increased football penetration in the northeast. Bringing Michigan/Ohio State/Penn State to a stadium within a few hours of NYC & Boston would build loyalties. With the big population sizes out here, it wouldn't take much penetration to make a UConn football invite beneficial to the B1G. TV markets/subscriber base are our strength. If we show we can bring NYC/Boston/western Mass fans in addition to all of CT, then our case for football inclusion is strong.

Once you're a full member in other sports, it's hard for them not to normalize football. You're an ally. I think they would make conditions, eg expand stadium, build an on-campus stadium maybe with a highway to campus, but eventually we would meet requirements and be admitted.

pj

Reaction Score
So it's ok for the B1G to take Rutgers as a full time member but not Uconn? that. By this time next year Uconn will be on it's way to the ACC, B12 or B1G as a full time member.

I'm not saying I favor a partial membership, and I agree odds are we'll be full members in a major conference in the next realignment shuffle, but you can't stay in the NBE for years and years. You have to either get a full ACC/B12/B1G invitation or get partial membership in a major conference with arrangements that protect football and keep it relevant.

Reaction Score
I would take a partial membership to the B1G over full membership in the NBE in a heartbeat. Vs. the nbe, its a win across the board. We preserve our brand, keep the basketball programs in elite status, and probably still make more money going independent in football.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I would take a partial membership to the B1G over full membership in the NBE in a heartbeat. Vs. the nbe, its a win across the board. We preserve our brand, keep the basketball programs in elite status, and probably still make more money going independent in football.
I'd take partial membership in Sam's Club over our current situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom