More practice footage | Page 2 | The Boneyard

More practice footage

Reaction Score
Samson Johnson had 6 guys in front of him 4 of which who were drafted in the NBA while the other starter would’ve been also. Their 6th man is a very key returning player as well as having the coach of the year in the NCAA. Now to make this a fair comparison you tell me about the players Reed played with and his coach?

In year 1 he played with two NBA guys and played behind Hunter Dickinson. Averaged 3 and 4. Last year no NBA players and he averaged 9 and 7 and helped Michigan go 3-17 in conference.

Reaction Score
In year 1 he played with two NBA guys and played behind Hunter Dickinson. Averaged 3 and 4. Last year no NBA players and he averaged 9 and 7 and helped Michigan go 3-17 in conference.

Your point was he played for a team who won 9 games so don’t care about year 1. Not sure what’s wrong with 9/7 on a team that wasn’t very well coached or a team that wasn’t very good. The “helped” is a dig on a kid we need to be pretty damn good in ways we know Samson isn’t.

Reaction Score
Your point was he played for a team who won 9 games so don’t care about year 1. Not sure what’s wrong with 9/7 on a team that wasn’t very well coached or a team that wasn’t very good. The “helped” is a dig on a kid we need to be pretty damn good in ways we know Samson isn’t.

Nothing is wrong with 9&7. Having said that, I don’t think his stats or play lend itself to starting over Samson who Hurley has praised all summer, has 2 championships, and is undefeated as a starter.

Reaction Score
Nothing is wrong with 9&7. Having said that, I don’t think his stats or play lend itself to starting over Samson who Hurley has praised all summer, has 2 championships, and is undefeated as a starter.

Again crazy comparison. His team has 2 nattys and he was a piece. Dans praised him a lot and we’ve seen improvement but starting 5 has yet to show up. Has he improved not fouling a lot? Can he guard a big with power? I mean I hope so but no proof at all so let’s see. No proof of either but Lord knows we need them both to to be pretty good for sure. If he took another leap you may be right I will eat crow, happily I might add.

Reaction Score
I predict that the starter will be Samson Johnson or Tarris Reed although Youssouf Singare has as good a chance as anybody! ;)

Sorry, couldn't help myself.

I'm in the "we will surprise everyone with how good our production from Center will be" camp. You know the staff is going to pound away at defense and rebounding with those 3 kids. Starter = best D/Rebounder. Can they collectively contribute a double double? 10/10. We'll be fine if the first half(D+Reb's)) of the equation is acceptable, ACCEPTABLE, not a replacement for Donovan Clingan or Adama Sanogo(yr 3).

Reaction Score
Interesting analysis by the posters here. In summation, we have the two worst centers in college basketball.

Didn’t know that before today.
Some folks live in a wonderful world of “absolutes”. Truth is Samson can improve. The wrench improved. Hassan improved. Geez, Adama improved greatly before going to his second year. But he MUST improve if he is to be a player to be counted on. And Reed looks nice on tape. Big, agile, nice touch. Rebounds, blocks shots. We don’t have a dominant center, but we should have 2 adequate centers to complement our loaded roster. And to echo what others have said, I do think that Ak will play more center this year than last. First because he got stronger and better at it. Second because he provides Favorable offensive matchups when a center has to D him up. And third because that opens up a spot for Abraham to play. And he will play because you don’t bench a defensive stud who can score and rebound. That’s never happened in the history of ever.

Reaction Score
And UM didn’t make the tourney the year prior with two top 15 draft picks and Dickinson. Point is that it’s hard to gauge how bad the situation was at UM and how it impacts player development.
it’s hard to gauge how bad the situation was at UM = Pretty daggone bad!!

Reaction Score
And UM didn’t make the tourney the year prior with two top 15 draft picks and Dickinson. Point is that it’s hard to gauge how bad the situation was at UM and how it impacts player development.

What I’m reading is Samson had no impact on UConns success and Tarris had no influence on Michigans failures. SMH.. Really strange boneyard takes recently.

Reaction Score
I’m sure I don’t have to remind you that this is the time of the year when things can get really weird around here.
Also Tarris had zero influence on Michigan’s failures.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
.. Really strange boneyard takes recently.
Recently?

The Boneyard is hot take heaven. It's part of its charm. The difference more recently is that people are far more tolerant of them. Although, I have to say, the "read these three articles about St. John's" thread has considerable promise.

Reaction Score
Guess I'm winning todays "head scratching thread" Derby!! Aren't we interested in all things Pitino and Big East?

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
In those 5 games without Clingan, Samson had a great game against St John's, but averaged 19 minutes and 3.75 fouls in the other 4. 2 of those games were against Depaul/Georgetown and he still couldn't stay on the floor. Karaban played as much at the 5 as Samson did in those 4 games.

He's a great kid and I hope he makes a big leap forward, but it is not a stretch to believe that a 4 star recruit with physical tools who spent two years with one of the worst coaching staffs in the country is more likely to reach untapped potential this summer than someone who has already been with the program multiple years.

Regardless of who starts, gun to my head I would wager Reed plays more minutes because of foul trouble for Samson, and there's also a non-zero chance Reed ends up being the better player. I would love to be proven wrong on that, because if Samson can actually play 25 minutes a game without fouling this team is probably going to be very good.

Reaction Score
I’m sure I don’t have to remind you that this is the time of the year when things can get really weird around here.
Also Tarris had zero influence on Michigan’s failures.

Of course not, why would your starting center have any influence on a teams performance.

Reaction Score
Whether in these clips or in real games played at the highest level, Diarra is so adept at getting layups. It's breaking to the basket without the ball, it's taking his man one on one, and it's give and go. With the expected distance shooters (Karaban, McNeeley, Mahaney, Ball) spreading the defense and Diarra getting layups, this team should be really efficient on offense once again. To say nothing about Johnson's high percentage shots.

Reaction Score
If they play together and unselfishly this team is going to be incredible on offense. So many weapons. You’ll have to score 80+ to beat us. It’s going to be all about the defense.

As far as Samson vs Tarris I think it’s similar to the previous championship seasons. We are going to get a lot out of both those guys in different ways. Neither of them have to be Clingan or Sanogo for us to still put a beat down on people.

Reaction Score
Samson and Tarris both get plenty of PT and bring different looks different positives to the team. It’s what made us good with Sanogo and Clingan and Clingan and Samson.
With the firepower we have they probably don’t need to be quite as dominant but we’ll see.

caw

Reaction Score
Whether in these clips or in real games played at the highest level, Diarra is so adept at getting layups. It's breaking to the basket without the ball, it's taking his man one on one, and it's give and go. With the expected distance shooters (Karaban, McNeeley, Mahaney, Ball) spreading the defense and Diarra getting layups, this team should be really efficient on offense once again. To say nothing about Johnson's high percentage shots.

He learned his lesson from his first year when he drove into crowded space and forced tough shots in traffic. Last year it was kind of amazing how many wide open layups he got in the halfcourt.

Reaction Score
Diarra is a street baller from NYC. Gotta know how to finish in the paint in pick up games or your team sits. He's surrounded by shooters and finishers on this team. Could very well be BE assists leader this year.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scorpio1

Top Bottom