OT: - More oldsters doing well | The Boneyard

OT: More oldsters doing well

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Since he is from San Diego, Phil has long been one of my favorite sports heroes. I was glued to my TV set yesterday.... alternately cheering and moaning the rollercoaster ride from Phil the Thrill!

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I wonder, with the revelation that woman's gymnastics is not just the province of 15-17 year-olds, that with such super athletes as Phil and possibly another act of Tiger, we may yet see the possibility of winning majors at an age closer to 60.

He (and certain commentators) alluded to the early portion of his career during which he faltered by regularly attempting impatient, ill advised low-percentage shots that were theoretically possible but unlikely...Yesterday he was willing to grind it out and prevailed.

I was as impressed as anyone that Phil was able to keep his concentration intact and nerves in check as he fought off contenders and closed out the event in style.

Is it possible that the natural aging process to include the reduction in male hormones
might actually prove to be an advantage with regard nerves.

On a personal note, as I turn 82, but still getting in my 20 or 30 minutes, gliding around the court and hoisting em up...with a decent % of 15-18 footers going in...no change apparent.

But I am downsizing my sailing...putting the C&C 34 up for sale and taking up warm-water beach sailing with a Hobie Getaway based in the Bahamas.

Reaction Score
Congrats to Phil (Meyers' favorite golfer :p). Those of us who root for Phil always
hold our breath when he's in a position to win a golf tournament because he often
tries something risky, usually with disastrous results. Yesterday he played it straight
and won.

Reaction Score
I wonder, with the revelation that woman's gymnastics is not just the province of 15-17 year-olds, that with such super athletes as Phil and possibly another act of Tiger, we may yet see the possibility of winning majors at an age closer to 60.

He (and certain commentators) alluded to the early portion of his career during which he faltered by regularly attempting impatient, ill advised low-percentage shots that were theoretically possible but unlikely...Yesterday he was willing to grind it out and prevailed.

I was as impressed as anyone that Phil was able to keep his concentration intact and nerves in check as he fought off contenders and closed out the event in style.

Is it possible that the natural aging process to include the reduction in male hormones
might actually prove to be an advantage with regard nerves.

On a personal note, as I turn 82, but still getting in my 20 or 30 minutes, gliding around the court and hoisting em up...with a decent % of 15-18 footers going in...no change apparent.

But I am downsizing my sailing...putting the C&C 34 up for sale and taking up warm-water beach sailing with a Hobie Getaway based in the Bahamas.
Tom Watson should have won at 59. All he needed was a routine par on his 72nd hole.

Reaction Score
Tom Watson should have won at 59. All he needed was a routine par on his 72nd hole.
Very true but he got a terrible bounce when he landed on the green and then I thought made a mental error in trying to putt instead of chip.

Reaction Score
Very true but he got a terrible bounce when he landed on the green and then I thought made a mental error in trying to putt instead of chip.
Collar got too tight.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
'old' golfers? meh. hey hackers! learn something aboot the man who invented the whole dang thing, including 'The Champions Tour,' and whose record was just broken by phil. still a legend in the Carolinas, Florida, Texas, and eastern europe, meet Bridgeport's own Julius Boros, world reknown for his game, and his brilliant observations,
on golf:
'swing easy, hit hard.'
on retirement;
When asked whether he was going to retire altogether, Boros replied with one of golf’s great one-liners. “What would I retire to?” he asked. “I already fish and play golf for a living.”
of course, his end came in the same storybook manner that his entire life was;
'Even after the incomparable swing had finally gone out of rhythm, Boros still treasured being on the course. He would drive his golf cart unhurriedly out on the Coral Ridge Country Club to savor the day. His favorite spot to park was under a willow tree near the 16th hole. He would silently, but smilingly, wave at the golfers as they went by. It’s the spot where Julius was found on May 28, 1994, after he had peacefully passed away. Quiet and unhurried.'
Golf’s Quiet Man - PineStraw Magazine - a great read. outstanding.
he almost won the 1973 Open at age 53, but johnny miller put up that infamous 63 in the final round. im sure that ol julie took it all in stride with his usual smile, and prolly said thought something like 'kid's pretty good...'

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Well, Phil is virtually a teenager on the Boneyard but is “old’ for a golfer.

The moral in these various threads seem to be - love what you do.

Thought this was pretty funny. Just guessing Mom is the only one that calls him Philip, and that she wanted his sister to text him since he never listened to his Mother.

Reaction Score
I always liked Phil because he is the only left handed pro golfer I've ever seen (I'm a righty but swung lefty when I batted or golfed)

Congratulations!

Reaction Score
. . . Bridgeport's own Julius Boros, world reknown for his game, . . .
In this day and age, when every golf shot is preceded by a board of directors meeting to decide
which club to use, yardage, where to aim, etc., etc., and interminable practice swings, I find
myself wondering "where is Julie Boros when we need him". The man didn't waste any time
when it was his turn to play. "Miss 'em quick" he said jokingly.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
At my age, it's hard for me to think of a young 50 year old whipper snapper as "old". But I get your point.
My daughter turned 50 today. She doesn’t think she’s old, neither do I. :)

Reaction Score
In this day and age, when every golf shot is preceded by a board of directors meeting to decide
which club to use, yardage, where to aim, etc., etc., and interminable practice swings, I find
myself wondering "where is Julie Boros when we need him". The man didn't waste any time
when it was his turn to play. "Miss 'em quick" he said jokingly.
Don’t forget the catalogs that the player and caddie both carry around and consult for everything.

Reaction Score
Old depends so much on which sport. In the WNBA I believe the two oldest players are Sue Bird who recently turned 40 and Diana Taurasi. Sue commented how strange it was to find out one of her teammates had a mom with the same birthday as her!

Reaction Score
Well, Phil is good proof that there is bettter living through chemicals. Life is getting longer for many of us because chemicals alleviate pain; they clean against elements that reduce internal bodily function, and increase mobility.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
Well, Phil is good proof that there is bettter living through chemicals. Life is getting longer for many of us because chemicals alleviate pain; they clean against elements that reduce internal bodily function, and increase mobility.
i would argue that recent (a closer examination for some 'ancient' cultures reveals more than a few having great success in longevity due to prosperity and hygiene) increased longevity, where our average expiration date moved from around 61 when fdr did social security to around 78 today, is mostly dependent upon two 'chemicals' (tho each is just a reformulation of a natural one) -aspirin and its' progeny, and penicillin and its' progeny, along with the dramatically improved hygiene of the 20th century. food quality and availability, more opportunity for appropriate rest, and other prosperity inputs are variables that wax and wane across the millennia of our history. cf 'current longevity in russia and north korea.' not good. south america also not good lately.
we'll have to wait and see how all this gene crisping stuff actually works out.
conversely, some of these super high tech diagnostic tools are finding 'problems' to be then followed by the 'treatment industry' where, in fact, they are just the natural progression for aging, and many times treated unnecessarily since something else often causes our exit. stress, and its' manifestations, kills.
rest, nutrition, hygiene, and movement are the elixir.
wash ur hands, eat ur spinach, and take a lap around the street. make the best of the genes that define you and me.
hey boomers! lose the weight already, and that minoxidil too!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
i would argue that recent (a closer examination for some 'ancient' cultures reveals more than a few having great success in longevity due to prosperity and hygiene) increased longevity, where our average expiration date moved from around 61 when fdr did social security to around 78 today, is mostly dependent upon two 'chemicals' (tho each is just a reformulation of a natural one) -aspirin and its' progeny, and penicillin and its' progeny, along with the dramatically improved hygiene of the 20th century. food quality and availability, more opportunity for appropriate rest, and other prosperity inputs are variables that wax and wane across the millennia of our history. cf 'current longevity in russia and north korea.' not good. south america also not good lately.
we'll have to wait and see how all this gene crisping stuff actually works out.
conversely, some of these super high tech diagnostic tools are finding 'problems' to be then followed by the 'treatment industry' where, in fact, they are just the natural progression for aging, and many times treated unnecessarily since something else often causes our exit. stress, and its' manifestations, kills.
rest, nutrition, hygiene, and movement are the elixir.
wash ur hands, eat ur spinach, and take a lap around the street. make the best of the genes that define you and me.
hey boomers! lose the weight already, and that minoxidil too!
Just want to remind everyone that Phil made a lot of money that supported a medication that helped with his type of arthritis. If that was true, that is one hell of a pill. This pill probably is not even covered by your insurance unttil a generic comes out after 20 years. Meanwhile, those who could use it cannot afford it and just suffer quietly because Phil can pay the expense.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
Just want to remind everyone that Phil made a lot of money that supported a medication that helped with his type of arthritis. If that was true, that is one hell of a pill. This pill probably is not even covered by your insurance unttil a generic comes out after 20 years. Meanwhile, those who could use it cannot afford it and just suffer quietly because Phil can pay the expense.
show me some time-lapse kodaks of his kidneys and liver (spleen? stomach? elbows?), and i'll have an opinion on whether i would quit now, and not prematurely decompose internally in a decade or two, or hang in there for a bit more of fleeting fame.
'Arthritis is a term often used to mean any disorder that affects joints.' wiki.
im particular when it comes to my joints. hehe. signed 'spliffy.' which, by the way and used in its' historically conventional manner, will prove to be highly therapeutic for those among us suffering from 'altakockeritis.' gar-un-tee.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom