More Giffey | Page 2 | The Boneyard

More Giffey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
He made a shot with a defender closing yesterday because his feet were set and he was square to the basket. Giff has a nice high release and can shoot over people pretty well, but he needs to be completely square before the ball arrives. He can't square his body on the move (ie off a curl) - or if he can, I've never really seen it. Bazz may have great post moves, but Ive never seen those either - and at this point in his career, we're not sending him down to the low block.

Giff had a Jamal Coombs-McDaniel-type week where his production went through the roof as he got wide open a lot, but he's reverted to what he is - a 6 ppg glue guy who doesn't make many mistakes. Great role player, great teammate, glad we have him - but he isn't a go to guy. We can't turn him into Rashad any more than we could make Craig Austrie into Ben Gordon.

yeah because they never run plays for him……..everyone knows he can shoot and they throw it around the top where the coach yells….."5 is the shooter, stay there" ….run a play and then we'll see. I know he is limited driving the ball I agree with everyone there, but he can shoot it so get him open, other teams find ways to get their shooters open.

Reaction Score
Nope. You have obvious hate for the guy.
You didn't write "we don't need to get more shots for the guy."
You didn't write "he has a mediocre handle and can't drive."

You wrote: "he is a spot up shooter and little else."

The thing is, he's a lot else. That's why so many guys on this forum like him so much. He is the ultimate glue guy. He digs out rebounds, he's relentless on defense, he's a help defender, he's selfless with the ball, he cheers on and supports his teammates, and he has a nose for the ball that most guys don't have.

Your comment was factually asinine, and the only explanation as to why you would write such an abrasive, obviously incorrect comment is because you have some hate for the kid, whether latent or blatant.

Sad to see in an alleged fan, really.

Giffey is an outstanding shooter and if
yeah because they never run plays for him……..everyone knows he can shoot and they throw it around the top where the coach yells….."5 is the shooter, stay there" ….run a play and then we'll see. I know he is limited driving the ball I agree with everyone there, but he can shoot it so get him open, other teams find ways to get their shooters open.
Giffey is an outstanding shooter and if he is going to be on the floor it only makes sense to run plays for him. For whatever reason the coaches see it differently.

Reaction Score
I'll tell you why we don't see more Giffey: he is a spot up shooter and little else. He doesn't move without the ball. He is slow on D and gets beat by just about everyone off the dribble. His passing and ball handling is fair at best. He doesn't rebound. Hate to knock the kid but it gets a little old hearing fans scream for more Giffey. Ollie knows what he is doing and recognizes his weaknesses which are many. Giffey is what he is: an excellent shooter, period.
I guess we are watching totally differnt games as I always see Giffey moving his feet very well on defense and keeping his guy in front of him. Now as far as taking his man off the bounce he is very limited due to his horrible dribbling skills. He seems to lose the ball every time while slashing to the basket. He is a plus rebounder but a horrible passer. Good shooter also. He does bring defense and rebounding when he is on the floor as well as hustle which is more than Omar.

The guy that needs to be on the floor more is Kromah. Why is Ollie not playing him 30 minutes as he is a decent scorer an shooter and plays defense. I understand he wants OC to develop but not sure there is much hope there. Lets just play to win this year and deal with the new players coming in as Halmilton and Purvis will be playing the 2 and 3 next season without a doubt.

Reaction Score
He is slow and his handle is suspect BUT Ive seen him block shots and pull down rebounds. Your Obama like "period" is like Oblamo, untrue.
No way would I call Giffey slow. He can beat his man off the dribble an definitely keep his man in front of him on defense. He even has some ups. The problem with Giffey is that nothing looks fluid. He just look to mechanical which gives the image that he isn't athlectic. Now if you want unathletic just look at TO. LOL!!!

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Giff had a Jamal Coombs-McDaniel-type week where his production went through the roof as he got wide open a lot, but he's reverted to what he is - a 6 ppg glue guy who doesn't make many mistakes. Great role player, great teammate, glad we have him - but he isn't a go to guy. We can't turn him into Rashad any more than we could make Craig Austrie into Ben Gordon.

I disagree here. He showed in November he can do a lot of everything and scored the ball with consistency. Even in Germany he averaged double figures against professionals and found more ways score than just 3 pointers.

The difference between November Niels and today's Niels is that we didn't give him a look from December 1st through now. His confidence is not as high as it was during the first couple of games and now he's missing more shots. You can't stay hot or even consistent when you don't get the ball for 2 months.

Reaction Score
Giff is an experienced 'championship' senior who should be on the court late in close games. He won't choke and knows Div 1 basketball. Adding to that he's a good college player. I feel comfortable winning or losing with him on the court in such situations.

No need to dismiss him, it's NCAA basketball, and he belongs.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Man, I really like Giffey. He is one of my favorites on the team. But when I listen to some of you rave about him, it just makes me think of his limitations. People who felt after the first 2 games that NG would shoot 100% for the year, should notice that his shooting percentage, while great, continues to head back to earth. And, unlike Bazz, he never feels forced to take a less than very good shot.
I like his defense (much more than OC but less than LK). I like his rebounding better than our bigs who can't rebound but less than our guards (who are awesome). He can't create his own shot like DD, SN & RB but more than people who have no ability to do so (OC, AB, PN)
He is a good player. He is not the second coming. He has gotten more minutes compared to the start of the year. Did that result in what you expected? Have his points gone up with his minutes? No plays called for him then either.
So, if you think this is because KO is too stupid, or too biased against the kid, I think you are wrong. Ooh! There is a way to improve our offense but I will ignore it! Why? Biased or stupid?
Again, I really like Giffey. Until threads like these
If 2 or 3 years ago you were posting the same thing about Olander, you must disqualify yourself from posting. If you are just an excitable UCONN fan, consider that NG is human, and that usually coaches know more than us.

Reaction Score
Just a spot up shooter? Hilarious, he's also our best offensive rebounder and hustles harder than Bradley Cooper in a perm wig.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
No way would I call Giffey slow. He can beat his man off the dribble an definitely keep his man in front of him on defense. He even has some ups. The problem with Giffey is that nothing looks fluid. He just look to mechanical which gives the image that he isn't athlectic. Now if you want unathletic just look at TO. LOL!!!
aint that the truth!~

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog