More FSU and Clemson to SEC Talk | Page 2 | The Boneyard

More FSU and Clemson to SEC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
This was discussed thoroughly on here before. There is a big thread on this. You can go look it up and read about it. Let's not get into this again. There is no way you can get out of a grant of rights.
Yep, and I commented in that thread plenty. If Texas goes to the SEC and plays in SEC conference games, media rights to SEC conference games are owned by the SEC, not Texas. Show me evidence that a school can't get out of a grant of rights.

pj

Reaction Score
Yep, and I commented in that thread plenty. If Texas goes to the SEC and plays in SEC conference games, media rights to SEC conference games are owned by the SEC, not Texas. Show me evidence that a school can't get out of a grant of rights.

Texas would then be in breach of the contract, and would have to pay damages to the Big 12. The point of the GoR is that the damages would be equal in size to the value of the TV rights, which is vastly more than the exit fees paid by WVU/Pitt/Cuse to the Big East. >$20 mn/yr for the term of the contract, or $240 mn+. So Texas would effectively forfeit all TV revenue for 10-12 years.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
Texas would then be in breach of the contract, and would have to pay damages to the Big 12. The point of the GoR is that the damages would be equal in size to the value of the TV rights, which is vastly more than the exit fees paid by WVU/Pitt/Cuse to the Big East. >$20 mn/yr for the term of the contract, or $240 mn+. So Texas would effectively forfeit all TV revenue for 10-12 years.
The intent of the GoR and the end result of a school breaching the contract are two different things. And Texas would not forfeit all TV revenue, I don't know where you're getting that from. B12 schools own their 3rd party rights, which in Texas's case is a significant sum of money.

Reaction Score
The intent of the GoR and the end result of a school breaching the contract are two different things. And Texas would not forfeit all TV revenue, I don't know where you're getting that from. B12 schools own their 3rd party rights, which in Texas's case is a significant sum of money.

I don't think that is the right analysis. I think what conferences are trying to accomplish with the GoR (and I'm not telling you I think it would work) is to transfer title to the right to televise home games the day the contract is signed. With the theory being that if you leave your conference there is no breach, because the contract has already been fully performed and you have transferred title and the conference owns it.

Now, the very fact that you want to talk about damages, as opposed to title, is why not all lawyers are at all sure that the whole GoR concept will work. If you talk damages, then Hadley v Baxandale and all that, you have to take the value of the rights that TX tried to sign over, subtract what TX would have been paid and subtract any mitigation of damages that the XII could achieve by adding BYU or Louisville. But once you are treating it as an unperformed contract, I'm not sure there is irreperable harm and that TX wouldn't be showing its games in the SEC or Pac whatever. To achieve what the conferences want, you have to treat title to those rights as being owned by the conference so that there is no contract for TX to breach.

Does that make sense? Again, I'm trying to explain someone else's scheme that I'm not at all sure a court would enforce.

Reaction Score
The GOR for the Big 12 at the present time is only 6 yrs, and texas would walk away from that in a minute. They are getting 15 mil a year for 3rd tier from ESPN. If they ever sign a GOR for 13 yrs beware of the fine print, texas is and always will be about Texas.

Reaction Score
The GOR for the Big 12 at the present time is only 6 yrs, and texas would walk away from that in a minute. They are getting 15 mil a year for 3rd tier from ESPN. If they ever sign a GOR for 13 yrs beware of the fine print, texas is and always will be about Texas.
iirc the b12 agreement states that anyone who leaves during the period forfeits ALL tv revenue of any kind for the remainder of that 6 year period.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Swofford meeting with Clemson's President. Hmm.

Reaction Score
Swofford meeting with Clemson's President. Hmm.

“@CFravel247: ACC commissioner John Swofford will be in Clemson this weekend starting tomorrow to discuss a number of topics with the Clemson BOT”

If anyone is bored... Go to Fravel's timeline for futher speculation on "agenda" - future of ACC, expansion, TV contract, yada, yada...

The meeting is being downplayed which makes me suspicious (Conspiracy Kitty wannabe).

ACC Media day starts Sunday in North Carolina.

Reaction Score
Larry Williams@LarryWilliamsTI
BOT chair D. Wilkins told me: "No doubt, future expansion of the ACC will be talked about" on Swofford visit.

@LarryWilliamsTI
Writer for Rivals web site Tigerillustrated.com. Author of Classic Clashes of the Carolina-Clemson Football Rivalry and The Danny Ford Years at Clemson

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
Gotta wait and see. Way too many false rumors in the past to take anyone seriously; even you Tuxedo Dodo.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
RT by Joe Shad: Clemson Pres James Barker on John Swofford's meeting with BOT today: "I think it did nothing but reinforce our role in the ACC".

Well maybe next week?

maybe? i'll be here.

honest question, as a bc fan what is your dream 16 league? everyone here knows mine is a 16 team big public east coast league. but as a bc fan what are your thoughts? are you more pro acc with like nd/psu type deal or what?

Reaction Score
RT by Joe Shad: Clemson Pres James Barker on John Swofford's meeting with BOT today: "I think it did nothing but reinforce our role in the ACC".
Well maybe next week?
Did it reinforce their role in the ACC as an afterthought to the teams on Tobacco Road, or did it reinforce their role in the ACC as committed conference member with no desire to explore other options? Pretty good "non-statement" by Barker.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Forgetting anyone in the SEC...I'll take as many big publics or reasonable facsimiles

BC. - biggest program in MA
SYR - NY
UConn - CT/NE
PSU - PA
RU - NJ
MD - DC
WVU
VA Tech
UVA
UNC
Nc St
FSU for 12

Miami. - small pvt but first alternate
ND For 14

Clemson/Scar for 16

GT - best available from GA

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

pj

Reaction Score
Forgetting anyone in the SEC...I'll take as many big publics or reasonable facsimiles

BC. - biggest program in MA
SYR - NY
UConn - CT/NE
PSU - PA
RU - NJ
MD - DC
WVU
VA Tech
UVA
UNC
Nc St
FSU for 12

Miami. - small pvt but first alternate
ND For 14

Clemson/Scar for 16

GT - best available from GA

I like that. I'd almost take USF or UCF ahead of Miami at this point, too many scandals there, and media markets are similar - Tampa/St Pete #12, Miami #17, Orlando #20. I like G Tech for the Atlanta market (#9). If we can get WVU and ND and PSU, bring in Pitt as well for local rivalries, and go to 16. To trim, I don't think we need multiple teams in states - if NC St and Va Tech want to go to the SEC and SC stay, let 'em if we keep UNC and UVa and Clemson.

That would leave:

NORTH
BC, UConn, Syracuse, Rutgers, PSU, Pitt, WVU, ND
SOUTH
Md, UVa, UNC, Clemson, GTech, FSU, USF, UCF

Or move Md to north, take out one of Pitt/Cuse/BC, and add Miami to the south, or Duke if bball matters.

Better yet, take out all three of Pitt/Cuse/BC, and add in NC State/Va Tech/Miami. Then you have UConn-Rutgers for NYC/NJ/CT, PSU for Philly/Pennsylvania, MD/UVa/VaTech for DC, all the big markets in Florida -- this is the most valuable media lineup:

NORTH
UConn, Rutgers, Penn State, WVU, ND, Md, UVa, Va Tech
SOUTH
UNC, NC State, Clemson, GTech, FSU, USF, UCF, Miami

The other possibility is that 4 Florida teams is too many, and there should be 2 Florida and 2 Texas to maximize media markets and promote recruiting a la the NBE. So take out 2 of Miami/USF/UCF and replace with Houston (#10 media market) and TCU (#7 media market).

NORTH
UConn, Rutgers, Penn State, WVU, ND, Md, UVa, Va Tech
SOUTH
UNC, NC State, Clemson, GTech, FSU, one of USF/UCF/Miami, Houston, TCU

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
-fsu and clem have had enough. they call wvu and tell them not to sign the gor, just play 1 year in the b12 and then leave.
-psu gets kicked out or punished by the b10 on top off stuff, they talk with wvu/fsu and are in.
-fsu and clem pull in gt and they call md/uva/vt.
-they offer unc but they dont care
-uconn and ruty get the call. then lville/cincy also do before the b12 tries to live again.
-b10 invites kansas, ok and mizzu. ok/kan get okst/kst in also. iowa state is screwed.
-unc sees whats up now and pulls the trigger fearing be left out
-pitt feels like crap after this...
-sec adds baylor and tcu
-tex knows its the end, flirts with pac but gets it done with sec.
-sec invites tex/tt and tcu(mk) or baylor(vandy friend?)

Big Atlantic Conf(14)
north- wvu/psu/md/uconn/ruty/cincy/lville
south- fsu/gt/clem/uva/unc/vt/ncst

b10(14)
- psu
+ok/okst/kan/kst/mizu

sec(16)
-mizzu
+tex/tt/bay

pac(14)
+byu/unr

acc(10)
bc/pitt/cuse/duke/wake/miami
+ nova/gtown fball upgrades
+ army/navy
+ nd other sports, 3 fball games a year, bowl game help etc....
x try to add temple, usf and ucf but they say no and would rather be apart of a another league at this point.

west coast conf(14)
bsu/id/fresno/sdsu/wy/cst/ust/unlv/hawaii/sj/nm/nmst//utep

gulf coast conf(16)
east-usf/ucf/fau/fiu/ecu/gast/uab/furman or some 1 else...
west-uh/utsa/smu/tulsa/tulane/latech/smiss/mem

big east
=sju/prov/shu/dep/marq/day/xav/but/siena/a boston school
+ 6 more bball schools of your pick for a monster bball league to stay relevant and get a espn tv contract that keeps these schools alive.

:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1