More FSU and Clemson to SEC Talk | The Boneyard

More FSU and Clemson to SEC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Listening to the regional sports talk show on the way home from work and they decided to fill a couple of hours of the afternoon with more talk of the SEC taking FSU and Clemson.

Nothing new for reasons. SEC wants to go to 16 and be done. They are the two best fits. Both teams go to the East and Mizzu and A&M are in the west. The SEC doesn't want anyone else to poach either team and it locks up the south. SEC pays out almost $10m a year more, etc, etc.

Said it's 90% done, may take up to two years to work through all the hurdles, but there may be news this fall.

Basically, rehashing every rumor and rationale that's been out there.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Listening to the regional sports talk show on the way home from work and they decided to fill a couple of hours of the afternoon with more talk of the SEC taking FSU and Clemson.

Nothing new for reasons. SEC wants to go to 16 and be done. They are the two best fits. Both teams go to the East and Mizzu and A&M are in the west. The SEC doesn't want anyone else to poach either team and it locks up the south. SEC pays out almost $10m a year more, etc, etc.

Said it's 90% done, may take up to two years to work through all the hurdles, but there may be news this fall.

Basically, rehashing every rumor and rationale that's been out there.

Yeah, it's hard to know what to believe nowadays, but this one honestly makes more sense to me than the FSU / Clemson to the Big12 story. The only thing that mucks it up for the SEC is that they have been somewhat determined to protect the "state monopolies" for its members, namely Florida and South Carolina in this case. Would they be willing to allow it to happen? Would they need a little greasing of the wheels in order to do so (ala Villanova with Temple)? Who knows. But one would think that locking up the south and dismantling the ACC's southern presence would only bolster the SEC's $$$. Not that they need to, but.....it's all about the $$$...

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
Wait FSU & Clemson just left for the B12 a couple of months ago, they're now going to the SEC in a couple of years?
EO must be really slow, you seem to like hanging out with us.

huskypantz

Reaction Score
Yeah, it's hard to know what to believe nowadays, but this one honestly makes more sense to me than the FSU / Clemson to the Big12 story. The only thing that mucks it up for the SEC is that they have been somewhat determined to protect the "state monopolies" for its members, namely Florida and South Carolina in this case. Would they be willing to allow it to happen? Would they need a little greasing of the wheels in order to do so (ala Villanova with Temple)? Who knows. But one would think that locking up the south and dismantling the ACC's southern presence would only bolster the SEC's $$$. Not that they need to, but.....it's all about the $$$...
If I were the SEC, I'd make a push for Tejas and OU. FSU and Clemson really are the best fits, but UT/OU bring much more to the table.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score

Much like this board. People like to speculate about expansion. 90% done in 2 years? That's awesome! Have you told Tuxedo Yoda?

huskypantz

Reaction Score
The Nexus is alive and well, I appreciate your concern.
Good to hear. There's a soft spot in all of our hearts for those cuddly golden eagles.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
FSU and Clemson will never be in the SEC, because UFlorida and USCe do not want them in the SEC. UNC and VTech are much more likely to the SEC, if it ever chose to expand.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
FSU and Clemson will never be in the SEC, because UFlorida and USCe do not want them in the SEC. UNC and VTech are much more likely to the SEC, if it ever chose to expand.

UNC is not going to leave the ACC. It is to the ACC what Texas is to the Big 12. It's the Alpha of the pack and won't give that up.

Reaction Score
FSU already turned down the SEC many years ago because things such as academics actually do matter to some colleges.

Ditto with telling the Big12 that they had no interest (as did Clemson and Miami among others from the ACC).

Big12 has apparently gotten the message that nobody in the ACC sees them as an attractive alternative and the Big12 commissioner said this week that only a few members of the Big12 would even be interested in talking about expansion. http://theticket.com/Portals/2/UserFiles/User77883/0717Norm_-_Bob_Bowlsby.mp3

Good news for the NBE as that means the 'ville is stuck in the NBE for the foreseeable future.

The ACC is not losing any teams any time soon to either the SEC or the Bevoconference.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
if i was the sec and the b12 was on the verge of inking any of lville/fsu/clem/gt, i would invite them and eat the $$ difference. keeping the b12 from growing to a healthy number of fball schools and also keeping them for the recruiting/fan base territory is worth it i would think. the sec struck 1st going into texas. now they can sit back and protect there turf. flirt with teams so they never go to the b12 and just enjoy being #1. eventually the b10 will go get kansas and ok. when that happens all hell will break lose. nd and uconn to the acc. texas/tt to the pac. okst to the sec. and then a few filler spread out from there. ball game 4 leagues of 16.

Reaction Score
FSU already turned down the SEC many years ago because things such as academics actually do matter to some colleges.

Ditto with telling the Big12 that they had no interest (as did Clemson and Miami among others from the ACC).

Big12 has apparently gotten the message that nobody in the ACC sees them as an attractive alternative and the Big12 commissioner said this week that only a few members of the Big12 would even be interested in talking about expansion. http://theticket.com/Portals/2/UserFiles/User77883/0717Norm_-_Bob_Bowlsby.mp3

Good news for the NBE as that means the 'ville is stuck in the NBE for the foreseeable future.

The ACC is not losing any teams any time soon to either the SEC or the Bevoconference.

So, you're saying FSU wasn't allowed in because of poor academics? I can definitely see why UFlorida would have concern with some of the academics at those ACC schools.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score

Link?

huskypantz

Reaction Score
Someone needs to read up on the Big 12 Grant of Rights. No one is leaving the Big 12.
I read up on a BE contract that forbid teams from conference for 27 months. Show me a court case where a grant of rights was upheld in full.

Reaction Score
I read up on a BE contract that forbid teams from conference for 27 months. Show me a court case where a grant of rights was upheld in full.

This was discussed thoroughly on here before. There is a big thread on this. You can go look it up and read about it. Let's not get into this again. There is no way you can get out of a grant of rights.

Reaction Score
No chance.

Everyone who has ever read the Doofus of WV knows that major conference announcements, that is, 'done deals,' are only announced on Tuesdays at 4PM.

Posted the Doofus from......Syracuse???.........BC???............

phillionaire

esta noche somos mantequilla
Reaction Score
No chance.

Everyone who has ever read the Doofus of WV knows that major conference announcements, that is, 'done deals,' are only announced on Tuesdays at 4PM.
Yeah because the announcement that Cuse and Pitt were joining the ACC was announced on a Tuesday. Oh wait it was a Saturday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom