More Details On Kentan Facey’s NCAA Review; In Worst-Case, He Could Lose 2 Years, Redshirt in 2013-1 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

More Details On Kentan Facey’s NCAA Review; In Worst-Case, He Could Lose 2 Years, Redshirt in 2013-1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
How long can a "kid" who passed GED (thus getting their HS diploma) stay unenrolled into college without losing any year of athletic eligibility? Facey did not enter college in USA before Uconn . He entered a US high school straight from a so-called HS in Jamaica which he did not finish. So why is the NCAA making all this inane fuss about? And what is the age limit on freshman entering college aspiring for a 4-year athletic scholarship?

Reaction Score
I would expect that a good number of 10th graders in the US could pass the high school equivalency exam if taken at that time.

It very much depends on which school districts you might be referring to. US has many endangered school districts especially those in the big cities.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
@fleudslipcon That article further illustrates the NCAA hypocrisy pretending they actually care about the education of the student athlete.
Either they don't care, are misinformed or have a strong pressure by the misinformed to take this action. No matter what the case, it is a travesty not only to the British system but to academics in general.

UConn took a hit with the apr punishment and even in these forums there are a group of people who don't realize that the apr was intended to be a superficial and inaccurate assessment of athletes education. The North Carolina scandal demonstrated this in ways that those of us who argued the point (@upstater for one) knew to be the case. I'm not a fan of chief00 but he called it accurately when he stated the apr was a personal vendetta by Emmert towards JC.

This ruling on British students wasn't set in place to hurt UConn although the deciding party can be influenced by their attitude towards UConn in how they interpret the ruling for Facey. But as far as the ruling goes it is obviously something put in place with very little justification to protecting athletes. It does just the opposite. It hurts athletes who want to develop their education. Good luck getting the general public to understand this however.

BTW didn't get a alert when you made the @fleudslipcon. Must be the NCAA has moderator influence. Alway felt @temery was working against UConn.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
@fleudslipcon ... I got my alert.

Either they don't care, are misinformed or have a strong pressure by the misinformed to take this action. No matter what the case, it is a travesty not only to the British system but to academics in general.

UConn took a hit with the apr punishment and even in these forums there are a group of people who don't realize that the apr was intended to be a superficial and inaccurate assessment of athletes education. The North Carolina scandal demonstrated this in ways that those of us who argued the point (@upstater for one) knew to be the case. I'm not a fan of chief00 but he called it accurately when he stated the apr was a personal vendetta by Emmert towards JC.

This ruling on British students wasn't set in place to hurt UConn although the deciding party can be influenced by their attitude towards UConn in how they interpret the ruling for Facey. But as far as the ruling goes it is obviously something put in place with very little justification to protecting athletes. It does just the opposite. It hurts athletes who want to develop their education. Good luck getting the general public to understand this however.

BTW didn't get a alert when you made the @fleudslipcon. Must be the NCAA has moderator influence. Alway felt @temery was working against UConn.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
@fleudslipcon ... I got my alert.
got yours also but didn't get one earlier hence my offhanded way of letting you know. Thanks for the response.

Reaction Score
Why wouldn't UConn submit an Initial-Eligibility Waiver request on behalf of Facey? Put it before the Initial-Eligibility Waivers Committee (IEWC) and roll the dice. Maybe that could be a viable option to clear things up. There should be more than a preponderance of mitigating evidence after review of his academic record. There can't be any NCAA related SOL on this type of thing correct?

Marielle VanGelder is on the NCAA IEWC. She also left UConn to take the compliance job at UNC. I'm sure Marielle still bleeds husky blue right?

Reaction Score
How long can a "kid" who passed GED (thus getting their HS diploma) stay unenrolled into college without losing any year of athletic eligibility? Facey did not enter college in USA before Uconn . He entered a US high school straight from a so-called HS in Jamaica which he did not finish. So why is the NCAA making all this inane fuss about? And what is the age limit on freshman entering college aspiring for a 4-year athletic scholarship?

I don't think there is one.

Reaction Score
ask Chris Weinke... He was like a 25 year old freshmen.

How the hell do the mormons get around this?

There are exemptions for military service, official religious missions and service in US Foreign Services.

Reaction Score
BREAKING: A live camera shot from Mark Emmert's office:

2l8vr6e.jpg

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
Exactly, and Brandon Weeden.
Didnt weinke and weeden just not start college? Eligibility doesn't start until you enroll. If you don't start college until you are 100 you still have 5 years to play 4.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
Although some examples of other student athletes being affected have been brought up, there must be hundreds with a similar background as Facey. They are not all basketball student athletes, but student athletes regardless. Most eligibility rules affect all student athletes; there must be hundreds of student athletes "under the radar" of the NCAA in regards to this. It seems to me the apparent capricious nature of this could be used for UConn's legal advantage, conspiracy or not.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
I thought someone brought up a point a couple of years ago the NCAA was concerned about the influx of foreign students and how that influx was reducing the number of American students getting athletic scholarships. So this thing with British students may be a subset of the set of limiting foreign students.

Reaction Score
Wait. let me get this straight. Facey didnt take money,didnt play profesionally,didnt lie about his age,didnt break any laws he only went to school and got good grades and the NC DOUBLE S want to take two years of his eligibility from him? Un Real!:mad:

Reaction Score
Great help in these posts to try and understand this incomprehensible NCAA rule. Thanks to qdog87, bluedoghouse and fleudslipcon.

I think the NCAA's best argument is that if Facey graduated from "high school" (an imperfectly defined term) earlier, he would not have been as well developed as a basketball player and would not have leapfrogged as high as a candidate for a scholarship. However, he came from Jamaica because he was almost a lock for a scholarship to somewhere. Why begrudge his a big time ride?

Also, a student athlete should take the course that prepares her or him best for life. As the NCAA says in infomercials, most do not become professional athletes. So, solid college prep and college when your ready is what benefits the athlete. A rule that seems to say an athlete needs to follow a timeline to protect the field of scholarship applicants is ludicrous.

Never mind UCONN, I think Facey is the one who would have a legal action against the NCAA. For him, it is not a few Ws, its possibly a life altering decision.

AtlHusky

Let's go outside our minds and play
Reaction Score
I think the NCAA's best argument is that if Facey graduated from "high school" (an imperfectly defined term) earlier, he would not have been as well developed as a basketball player and would not have leapfrogged as high as a candidate for a scholarship.

I think that argument ceases to be NCAA's best when the counter is "He was 16 and the age of an American HS Soph."

Though I agree with most all of the rest of your post.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
if i had to guess he loses no eligibility. but knowing us and the ncaa then i'm probably wrong.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
if i had to guess he loses no eligibility. but knowing us and the ncaa then i'm probably wrong.
My take is he loses one season but they allow him to play immediately. Not many UConn fans would take this as a huge victory, but I would. They would be waving the delay of one season and not take two seasons away from Ketan which by their formula they would be entitled to do.

And the credit for this coup would go to the hiring of Angie Cretors by WM and/or SH. I doubt many would give them credit for this as well insisting that a lawsuit would have gotten better results. But I would strongly disagree with them!

Reaction Score
There are exemptions for military service, official religious missions and service in US Foreign Services.

The NCAA should consider Facey's 3-year at Lutheran as a Jamaican religious mission ala Mormon. His stellar game-time plays sent many hearts to the high heavens and consigned bad losers to hell.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom