More Details On Kentan Facey’s NCAA Review; In Worst-Case, He Could Lose 2 Years, Redshirt in 2013-1 | The Boneyard

More Details On Kentan Facey’s NCAA Review; In Worst-Case, He Could Lose 2 Years, Redshirt in 2013-1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
This still sounds very much up in the air. Lets not jump to conclusions and let this play itself out.

*hand hovers over the panic button*

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
How graduating twice would make him ineligible for two years plus a redshirt year...Only with the NCAA who let's students take fact classes and yet gives out zero punishment. Unreal.

D

Deleted member 3149

I'm sorry, but you gotta be fcuking kidding me. Man, the NCAA is such a joke. Leave the poor kid alone.

Reaction Score
If he loses any years for trying hard and doing really well in school (which, I thought, was the sole intent of the APR), then UConn needs to sue.

I don't know on what grounds, but they can't just let the NCAA slap them around again while standing by and doing nothing.

Reaction Score
If he loses any years for trying hard and doing really well in school (which, I thought, was the sole intent of the APR), then UConn needs to sue.

I don't know on what grounds, but they can't just let the NCAA slap them around again while standing by and doing nothing.
Agreed, if the NCAA is trying to screw around with Kentan and UConn here every media outlet needs to be notified, this is absurd.

Reaction Score
Agreed, if the NCAA is trying to screw around with Kentan and UConn here every media outlet needs to be notified, this is absurd.

New York State Court would be a proper venue/jurisdiction for the case.

New York State Court or Federal could be the proper jurisdiction/venue. The same attorney that handled the Orlando Sanchez case would be a great fit. Former North Carolina Supreme Court justice Robert Orr would be the guy to protect his eligibility.

Reaction Score
In other words, they are punishing Facey for going to school "too much". But they don't give a flying F if guys come in and take BS classes at Kentucky for 6 months then bounce. Instead they give those guys awards.. I hate the world sometimes...

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
Does Mr. Emmett feel that he has not yet fully extracted a pound of UConn flesh?

Reaction Score
Ilogical. I reject the proposition that Jamaica typically prepares 16 year olds for US colleges. Is the standard he met sufficient to enable him to be admitted? Or, is this a penalty from submitting to assessment upon leaving his home country? I do not believe the NCAA would have allowed him to enroll 3 years ago.

His age, 19, if accurate, should be a huge factor. He is, at most, 1 year older than the average entering student. Surely, that additional time in school is justified by an international transfer.

Why would the NCAA, charged with protecting student athletes from exploitation, limit a student's eligibility and, thus, scholarship years? I don't see how it impacts protecting the fairness of competition. Even if the rules make additional time to graduate free to the student, a forced red shirt, impacts a NBA aspiring player by thwarting their development. This foolish interpretation disadvantages UCONN and the student athlete. How is this logical?

Reaction Score
There are all sorts of crazy what-ifs to poke a hole in their case.

What if he failed the exam? What if he repeated a class? What if he took a year off to volunteer like a lot of students do? What if he played bball while volunteering?

AND THE BIG ONE: How do the Mormons get away with it?

Reaction Score
Why penalize us (i.e. Facey) and not go after Long Island Lutheran the school that took him in? Not to say penalize them but at least institute corrective and accurate enrollment/graduation information on their end. It seems to me the high school is accountable not us.

Reaction Score
Why penalize us (i.e. Facey) and not go after Long Island Lutheran the school that took him in? Not to say penalize them but at least institute corrective and accurate enrollment/graduation information on their end. It seems to me the high school is accountable not us.

Why should the high school do that? They took a student, placed him in an appropriate level, and watched him fulfill their standards to a high level? Why would they need to change their procedures? He was a stellar student? Why would they need to change at all?

Reaction Score
Yeah, not sure how the high school did anything wrong. They placed him in an age-appropriate high school class, surely in collaboration with his parents or guardians.

Reaction Score
Why should the high school do that? They took a student, placed him in an appropriate level, and watched him fulfill their standards to a high level? Why would they need to change their procedures? He was a stellar student? Why would they need to change at all?

I hear you but according to the NCAA something is broken, and its not them (obviously their position). What's left is either the college or the high school. The college can only rely on the high school information provided, and the high schools don't have the resources to investigate appropriate grading/placement as it relates to future athletic scholarship eligibility. Consequently the athlete and their selected college suffers. Using a chain metaphor, the weakest link seems to be the high school (my line of thinking), however that link can not be fixed. The reality is 'the bike' (i.e. NCAA) is the actual problem.

I just don't know what the solution is to prevent future occurrences from happening.

Reaction Score
I am a long time lurker on this board. I have been following this board through its inception and various migrations. BTW: I graduated from Uconn in 89.

I felt the need to comment here because I am originally from Jamaica and have some understanding of the high school system.

High School in Jamaica starts in the 7th grade vs. the 9th grade here. The school system is tied more closely to the British system. In order to go to High School you have to pass a Common Entrance examination. If you don't pass then you can only attend what is termed a Secondary School. The common entrance is a big deal in Jamaica because that is how you gain access to high (better) schools and also the school of your choice. It is celebrated by Friends and Family members when you pass.

Now the curriculum in high school is more advanced than most High Schools here. The classes would be more equivalent to High School and the first year of some college here. When I first came here from Jamaica I had already completed 7th and 8th grade of high school in Jamaica and came here in January of my 9th grade. The classes I took in 9th grade here was equivalent to what I had taken in 7th grade in Jamaica. I took an equivalency test when I first got here and I could have enrolled at a higher grade level, but the decision was made for me to stay in the 9th grade with kids my age.

From what I am reading, Facey came here at 16 so that would have put him around the 10th grade. He obviously took an equivalency test that indicated his knowledge level is equal to a High School graduate here (GED). He might not have had a choice at the time of what grade level he was slotted in. Part of that decision would have been his ability to attend a better College/University if he actually attended high school here and let's not forget he was only 16 years old (10th grade) .

If the NCAA punishes Facey then this would open up a can of worms they don't want to deal with. Hundreds of students come from other countries every year that can or could have passed a GED at 16 or younger. Why should Facey be punished for our High School system being behind a lot of other countries? Facey is not the first kid to come here from another country and enroll in high school that this ruling would affect if he was punished. The NCAA is in unchartered waters here.

Sorry for the long post, but hopefully it helps put things in perspective.

Reaction Score
I wonder how this situation played out with Ben Eaves, wasn't he originally from England? I know he went to prep school here in the states but I have no idea when he came over.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
here's a similar situation to Facey's and how the NCAA fumbled as usual

http://www.thecrimson.com/series/ba...011/11/11/wbasketball-feature-rookies-111111/
@qdog read the link aceboon references. It shows the NCAA has fumbled this issue with many British athletes. Hopefully the new hire Uconn has made and all the bad publicity Emmert is receiving will cause the NCAA to reevaluate how they deal with British students. But I'm not sure how this will benefit UConn or Facey. It depends really if Emmert and company have it in for UConn or whether their decision making was to hurt JC only.

Reaction Score
I wonder how this situation played out with Ben Eaves, wasn't he originally from England? I know he went to prep school here in the states but I have no idea when he came over.

I don't think this version of the rule was adopted by the NCAA until 2010.

Reaction Score
@fleudslipcon That article further illustrates the NCAA hypocrisy pretending they actually care about the education of the student athlete.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom