More Ashlyn Shade now? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

More Ashlyn Shade now?

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I have no doubt that Ashlyn can make a might contribution as a freshman. She doesn't act like a freshman. Her floor sense is pretty good and growing. She's fearless and may be second only to KK when it comes to Energizer Bunny emulation. Oh, yes, she has a variety of shots that fall.

Reaction Score
If Caroline is really producing stat lines like 8/10, 9/11 in practice, I’m surprised that, in light of her obvious nervousness about driving into the lane, we aren’t making more of an effort to get her more shots from the three point line. I’m certainly no coach but surely Geno could design some plays to free her up more on the perimeter?

Reaction Score
While I agree it looks bad, there have been many cases of players going through very bad injury streaks and then playing for years injury free. I’m not saying that will be the case here but “hope springs eternal.“
Sadly, I don't think AZZI has had an injury free season since she was a freshman in high school.

Reaction Score
Mel was the Energizer bunny. I haven't seen Ashlynn use her body clean the floor like Mel did, but the season is young.

Whatever happened to Mel Thomas? Did she play in europe?

Reaction Score
Mel was the Energizer bunny. I haven't seen Ashlynn use her body clean the floor like Mel did, but the season is young.

That highlight reel should be required viewing for all UCONN recruits! (except the Paige and AZZI types??)
I definitely can see Ash in that role.... I don't have to guess how MEL, the energizer bunny, earned that
facemask trophy! How?? ... she 'earned it'... cleaning up those hardwood floors!! WOW!! GO HUSKIES.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
Ashlynn came to UConn with a reputation for a strong mid-range game. She is not a real 3-pt threat. Currently she is 1 for 6. Her game in high school was a slash to the key and a stop/pop jumper. I expect she will spend the summer developing more range. Right now the freshman that can help in the 3-pt department is the 7/17 41% Lady Q.

Azzi's injury means Paige and Carol will both shoot more. We lose Aubrey's microwave action off the bench as she gets the starts. KK can bring that at the guard position while Ice and Q will be situationally used in the front court.

Reaction Score
They (Paige/Caroline) both started early in their Freshman season. That has not been the case for Ashlyn, nor was it ever a real possibility given the upper classman on the roster. With the injury bug striking again Geno will need to step up her minutes on a nightly basis and hopefully she can contribute night in and night out She doesn't need to be Azzi, she just needs to be the best Ashlyn.
You have a very bad memory, as Caroline did not start early in her freshman year, as a matter of fact early on she barely played. The starters were Paige, Christyn Williams, Westbrook, Ono, and Edwards or Dorka. Caroline only came in as a starter much later when Paige got hurt in the Notre Dame game, and she in a huge way, carried the team for IIRC 6 or 7 games, then she got hurt and Azzi who had just been cleared to play led the team until Paige came back in late March. The starters at this point were Paige, Azzi, Christyn, Edwards, and Ono. I think Ashlyn will see major minutes going forward, she’s too good both offensively and defensively to have her sitting on the bench.

Reaction Score
You have a very bad memory, as Caroline did not start early in her freshman year, as a matter of fact early on she barely played. The starters were Paige, Christyn Williams, Westbrook, Ono, and Edwards or Dorka. Caroline only came in as a starter much later when Paige got hurt in the Notre Dame game, and she in a huge way, carried the team for IIRC 6 or 7 games, then she got hurt and Azzi who had just been cleared to play led the team until Paige came back in late March. The starters at this point were Paige, Azzi, Christyn, Edwards, and Ono. I think Ashlyn will see major minutes going forward, she’s too good both offensively and defensively to have her sitting on the bench.
Okay, she (Caroline) started in the eighth game of her freshman season, guess early can be interpreted in different ways

Reaction Score
If Caroline is really producing stat lines like 8/10, 9/11 in practice, I’m surprised that, in light of her obvious nervousness about driving into the lane, we aren’t making more of an effort to get her more shots from the three point line. I’m certainly no coach but surely Geno could design some plays to free her up more on the perimeter?

Reaction Score
If Caroline is really producing stat lines like 8/10, 9/11 in practice, I’m surprised that, in light of her obvious nervousness about driving into the lane, we aren’t making more of an effort to get her more shots from the three point line. I’m certainly no coach but surely Geno could design some plays to free her up more on the perimeter? She hasn't been making shots consistently since last year I believe.
She doesn't rebound, she cant take anyone off the dribble. Her passing is suspect as well as her defense and she cherry picks quite a bit.
I wanted her to have a few break throughs but I doubt it will happen.
She hasn't been making shots consistently since last year I believe.
She doesn't rebound, she cant take anyone off the dribble. Her passing is suspect as well as her defense and she cherry picks quite a bit.

Reaction Score
Practice is much different than actually playing in games, but I know you know that. There is relatively no pressure in practice. A player is definitely more relaxed as the outcome is unimportant and they take their time setting their feet, squaring their shoulders and shooting in rhythm in an unhurried manner.

Caroline is open quite often on the perimeter in games, but several things need to happen: (1) Her teammates need to pass her the ball, (2) She needs to actually take the shots (have the confidence in her ability, which is presently lacking), and (3) as stated above ... set her feet, square her shoulders, and shoot in rhythm without rushing the shot.

Reaction Score

She hasn't been making shots consistently since last year I believe.
Look, Caroline is having problems (with good reason), so your evaluation although presently accurate to a degree is also quite harsh. When healthy, she is more than capable of taking almost anyone off the dribble, she's a great passer, decent rebounder, more than adequate defender, and can score in a variety of ways inside and out. I have no idea of what you mean by "she cherry picks quite a bit"? Please elaborate on the subject. Geno hasn't given up on her.

Reaction Score
Okay, she (Caroline) started in the eighth game of her freshman season, guess early can be interpreted in different ways
Well again, that’s not exactly what you said, by your words you inferred that both Paige and Caroline both started around the same time and I quote “They (Paige/Caroline) both started early in their Freshman season”. Paige did start early, scored 34 points the first game of the season. Caroline started playing 8 games later just before Christmas. Further more you also say right after that “That’s not been the case for Ashlyn”, and it’s only Thanksgiving. Next game is tomorrow night, or haven’t you checked. Lol

Reaction Score
Well again, that’s not exactly what you said, by your words you inferred that both Paige and Caroline both started around the same time and I quote “They (Paige/Caroline) both started early in their Freshman season”. Paige did start early, scored 34 points the first game of the season. Caroline started playing 8 games later just before Christmas. Further more you also say right after that “That’s not been the case for Ashlyn”, and it’s only Thanksgiving. Next game is tomorrow night, or haven’t you checked. Lol
What he said doesn't infer that they began starting at the same time. 8 games is pretty early for a UConn freshman.

Reaction Score
Your reading comprehension is lacking, we'll just leave it at that

Reaction Score
What he said doesn't infer that they began starting at the same time. 8 games is pretty early for a UConn freshman.
Never said that she was inferring that they started playing at the same time. You’re completely missing my point. This isn’t about Caroline, it’s about Ashlyn. After bringing up Caroline starting early (ok let’s say 8 games later is still early in the season) he/she goes on to say “that’s not the case for Ashlyn”, and it’s not 8 games later now which would be around the middle of December, it’s only 3 or 4 games later. I guess I’m saying if it’s ok for Caroline as a freshman to replace Paige and do it surprisingly well, maybe it’s ok for Ashlyn to replace Azzi. I just like his/her insinuation that Ashlyn can’t replace Azzi. I think she can AND do it in spades.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom