More ammo for O'bannon vs NCAA? | The Boneyard

More ammo for O'bannon vs NCAA?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
I hope O'Bannon wins too. I think college sports would blow up pretty quickly if it did.

Don't hope the system for everyone else blows up just because you don't like the AAC.

I don't think a player deserves more than the scholarship, room and board. I could be talked into a limited stipend of $100 per week since student athletes are not allowed to have jobs. This alone is $15,000 to $40,000 per year for most schools. That is more than many minor league baseball or hockey players make.

I also believe if the school uses their likeness after their career at the school is done the school should pay them like any other actor/actress. The exception would be a replay of a game on TV. That would still be covered under the rules of the scholarship.

Reaction Score
Don't hope the system for everyone else blows up just because you don't like the AAC.

I don't think a player deserves more than the scholarship, room and board. I could be talked into a limited stipend of $100 per week since student athletes are not allowed to have jobs. This alone is $15,000 to $40,000 per year for most schools. That is more than many minor league baseball or hockey players make.

I also believe if the school uses their likeness after their career at the school is done the school should pay them like any other actor/actress. The exception would be a replay of a game on TV. That would still be covered under the rules of the scholarship.

It has nothing to do with the AAC. It has everything to do with the whole enterprise being out of control. They should go back to ground zero and start over.

Student athletes are allowed to have jobs in summer, just not during the year. But there are similar stipulations on students all over the university, many of whom bring in more money.

Reaction Score
I hope O'Bannon wins too. I think college sports would blow up pretty quickly if it did.

I hope and expect him to lose. The deal is and always was, he agreed to play sports for a scholarship. O'Bannon and every other athlete has the option to sit out and not play, play in Europe, start a new league, or other options. Universities and athletic departments have basically unlimited resources and access to the best lawyers. If O'Bannon wins, college sports will be drastically changed. The rich will form a league and get much richer. Everyone else will lose revenue and be relegated to D-III status.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
I hope and expect him to lose. The deal is and always was, he agreed to play sports for a scholarship. Universities and athletic departments have basically unlimited resources and access to the best lawyers. If O'Bannon wins, college sports will be drastically changed. The rich will form a league and get much richer. Everyone else will lose revenue and be relegated to D-III status.

This is different from what is already happening, how?

Reaction Score
Football is the largest money maker at a university. Basketball is second. Other than a few sports at large schools most don't break even. If this case is found in favor of O'Bannon you will see many schools cut as many sports as possible. Is that your intended outcome?

Does a high school football player that is getting $25,000 worth of scholarship, room, board and training deserve more? Where else would they get the training? With only 250 or so football players getting drafted what happens to the rest of them? The scholarship is important to 99% of college football players. You are rooting for a case that could impact the majority of student athletes negatively, not the 1% of football and basketball players that go on to get paid to play in the NFL/NBA.

Reaction Score
This is different from what is already happening, how?

It would be like what is happening now in realignment, but ten fold. Right now Uconn brings in millions of dollars a year to help cover the costs. What sport would Uconn cut if the money went away or got decreased? Or worse yet, tuition costs may increase and then it would hit the wallet of many on this board.

Reaction Score
With athletic departments losing money, they can argue the athletic department as a whole is not making a profit. I just think Universities know what is at stake and will not lose this case.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
It would be like what is happening now in realignment, but ten fold. Right now Uconn brings in millions of dollars a year to help cover the costs. What sport would Uconn cut if the money went away or got decreased? Or worse yet, tuition costs may increase and then it would hit the wallet of many on this board.

Quite honestly, I hope realignment x10 does happen because realignment x1 has screwed UConn over.

Reaction Score

There are countless non-athlete students getting scholarships, room & board, etc....that are allowed to have jobs and earn money, that don't have to spend a gazillion hours a week at practice, spend days travelling, playing games, etc... doing press conferences and appearances on behalf of the school.

the scholarship isn't enough in my opinion

Reaction Score
Why should anyone make money off of their likeness, and they not get a piece? I get that deal was always scholarship for their performance but this is somewhat different. Even after they are done playing, others are getting paid off their likeness. I don't think that is fair.

Reaction Score
Quite honestly, I hope realignment x10 does happen because realignment x1 has screwed UConn over.

I don't just mean realignment x10. I mean the money difference in schools, the corruption in recruiting, and the pressure on universities would all be magnified x10. The very top schools may even form a new league knowing they can earn even more money. Meanwhile, everyone else will be left with loses.

Reaction Score
There are countless non-athlete students getting scholarships, room & board, etc....that are allowed to have jobs and earn money, that don't have to spend a gazillion hours a week at practice, spend days travelling, playing games, etc... doing press conferences and appearances on behalf of the school.

The amount that a college football player helps the school earn is used to support other sports/student athletes. So what you want to see happen is every non revenue sport except for roughly 100 female athletes get cut. If a school would be forced to pay each scholarship football player and basketball player a total of scholarship and cash worth example $100,000 there is no way the non revenue sports survive. Also because of title IX the same number of female athletes must receive the same access/opportunity.

Baseball, wrestling, crew, tennis, track, lacrosse and others would be cancelled. The other option would be D III for all sports except football and basketball which is the same thing since the students would not be getting scholarships.

This won't hurt the people that go pro, it will hurt all of the ones that are truly student athletes. Your feelings that the system is broken is based on one sport, not the other 20-30 that many large schools support.

Reaction Score
Football is the largest money maker at a university. Basketball is second. Other than a few sports at large schools most don't break even. If this case is found in favor of O'Bannon you will see many schools cut as many sports as possible. Is that your intended outcome?

Does a high school football player that is getting $25,000 worth of scholarship, room, board and training deserve more? Where else would they get the training? With only 250 or so football players getting drafted what happens to the rest of them? The scholarship is important to 99% of college football players. You are rooting for a case that could impact the majority of student athletes negatively, not the 1% of football and basketball players that go on to get paid to play in the NFL/NBA.

They can't even cut other sports because of Title9. Maybe they could reduce scholarships to 53 from 85--just like the NFL.

But 85 scholarships in one sport requires more.

It's no mystery at all how they could reduce things to human scale.

1. Stick by admissions requirements, get rid of APR (the NCAA just scrapped its entire new admissions scale, because it was afraid the schools would lose top talent).

2. Cajole the NBA to admit 18 year olds again.

3. Reduce staffing, cap coaches pay, reduce and limit hours of travel and practice.

4. Allow players to take whatever courses they please. Don't track them.

5. If, somehow, sports still remain a big TV ticket item after all this, allow players to sign with agents who are certified by the NFL and NBA. (Get rid of the amateur label). The only enforcement job for the NCAA is to work with the NFL or NBA to make certain that no boosters are funneling money to agents, and if any connection like that is ever made, the agent is banned for life from the two leagues. This way, players make money against their future earnings, which is what any student does when they take a loan.

Universities will lose money on this, but it will keep programs in scale.

Reaction Score
Bingo. If were fugged, everyone else might as well be as well.

Let me get this straight. You want to get fugged x10 worse as long as most everyone else gets fugged with you.

Reaction Score

This is not true. As part of any full scholarship or even any assistantship, you sign a contract prohibiting you from employment. You're also expected to spend a huge amount of time on your responsibilities.

I agree with you about the traveling.

In the end though, these kids are getting a crazy amount of training that is super expensive and well exceeds the value (negative profit) they bring to the school.

Reaction Score
Bingo. If were fugged, everyone else might as well be as well.

Roger... let there be a re-draft of teams in conferences after the implosion and see who gets left out!

Hello Wake Forest, I see you Minnesota, Iowa State you can't hide either... :p

Reaction Score
Why should anyone make money off of their likeness, and they not get a piece? I get that deal was always scholarship for their performance but this is somewhat different. Even after they are done playing, others are getting paid off their likeness. I don't think that is fair.

I never understood this likeness argument. Unless the jersey says O'Bannon on the back, the EA Sports games had the schools jerseys. People really do root for the jerseys. Unless the actual likeness is being sold, I tend to think there should not be any confusion. Are you talking about EA Sports (which doesn't even exist anymore) or something else? Reruns of old games?

Reaction Score
Let their worlds burn.

Ours already has - let's see the fun spread.

Lets think about this from a UCONN perspective.

O'Bannon and crew wins and all schools that provide scholarships to athletes must pay them in addition to the scholarship. That amount is directly related to the sport they play and based off the national average per sport.

UCONN because of its lack of income will need to reevaluate its sports strategy. Football will most likely be cancelled because the income to player is not acceptable. Basketball will become breakeven. Everything else will be cut unless the NCAA allows you to put them in D3 which in essence removes all of their scholarship responsiblities.

I guess you want to watch your own school burn down to the ground too. Sad.

Reaction Score
I don't just mean realignment x10. I mean the money difference in schools, the corruption in recruiting, and the pressure on universities would all be magnified x10. The very top schools may even form a new league knowing they can earn even more money. Meanwhile, everyone else will be left with loses.

I don't think your version is totally right. If only the SEC and B12 continue in that fashion, then football and bball are reduced to fringe sports for hayseeds (heh) and the money goes out the window. The rest of the country will be cleansed. I'll still root for Boston U. in hockey and UConn in fball and bball.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
$100 a week??? Lol!

These kids pack 100,000 seat tadiums and 20,000 seat basketball arenas while old fat guys profit off of their hard work.

These schools are going to be making damn near 30m a year off of college athletes.

It's absurd to think they don't deserve some, if not the majority of the money.

Literally the only argument against it is, well they've never done it and people would lose interest in college sports.... yeah sure they would. just like fans don't come back after strikes abs lockouts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom