Mora's ceiling? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Mora's ceiling?

Reaction Score
I love HCJM, but he was 31-33 as an NFL coach. Saban was 2 games under as well. Not quite successful and certainly no better than Saban.
Good catch. Hate when the facts don’t prove the hypothesis.

Reaction Score
I love HCJM, but he was 31-33 as an NFL coach. Saban was 2 games under as well. Not quite successful and certainly no better than Saban.
Not to mention, Mora's last stint as an NFL head coach was horrendous. He took a Seahawks team that had made the playoffs five straight seasons and went 9-23 with them over two years (2008-09). And yes, they were as bad as their record. Then Pete Carroll took over and quickly turned the team around, even winning a playoff game in his first year (the Beastquake game). I'm thrilled with how Mora is doing at UConn, but as a longtime Seahawks fan, I'm not gonna forget those atrocious seasons anytime soon.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
So, you are suggesting a domed stadium in Storrs? ;) Regardless, it doesn’t matter the kiln explosion that took out the maestro destroyed the technology. We will never see it’s like again.
I know of the kiln explosion that tragically ended Faem Liebowitz' life (and undergraduate career). Are you sure that Enzo met the same fate?

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Didn't JM win coach of the year once in the NFL? I believe he also took a team to the NFC title game.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I know of the kiln explosion that tragically ended Faem Liebowitz' life (and undergraduate career). Are you sure that Enzo met the same fate?
Yes.

Reaction Score
A poster on a WKU board posted that the transfer portal may be helping G5 more than P5 because P5 bench players with P5 level coaching can now move to G5 and start, leaving P5 programs with younger starters. G5 programs with experience. Thus the upsets. No news flash here I know. HCJM has the enthusiasm and the P5 and NFL experience, I can see him landing lots of high-quality transfers in addition to recruits. Really excited to see what he does with this program over the next few seasons.

Reaction Score
Not to mention, Mora's last stint as an NFL head coach was horrendous. He took a Seahawks team that had made the playoffs five straight seasons and went 9-23 with them over two years (2008-09). And yes, they were as bad as their record. Then Pete Carroll took over and quickly turned the team around, even winning a playoff game in his first year (the Beastquake game). I'm thrilled with how Mora is doing at UConn, but as a longtime Seahawks fan, I'm not gonna forget those atrocious seasons anytime soon.
Dude took a team that was 5-11 in one year to the NFC championship game the next year. Not many coaches have ever been to the NFC championship game, nevermind taking a 5-1q team there the year after

Reaction Score
Carroll didn’t do well in New England but great at USC.

Reaction Score
A poster on a WKU board posted that the transfer portal may be helping G5 more than P5 because P5 bench players with P5 level coaching can now move to G5 and start, leaving P5 programs with younger starters. G5 programs with experience. Thus the upsets. No news flash here I know. HCJM has the enthusiasm and the P5 and NFL experience, I can see him landing lots of high-quality transfers in addition to recruits. Really excited to see what he does with this program over the next few seasons.
We need a few more years of data points, but that sounds like a plausible outcome. I can see some G5?FCSs that develop beyond their recruiting ratings and move to P5 to fill specific holes, but I can see more doing the P5 to G5 move as you describe.

Reaction Score
Didn't JM win coach of the year once in the NFL? I believe he also took a team to the NFC title game.
He was a .500 coach in the NFL, working with rules of operation to promote exactly that.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
His tenure at Seattle seems like an anomaly in his career. What happened there? You mention the team was good before and after his tenure.... what were Mora's failures that caused the losses?

Reaction Score
His tenure at Seattle seems like an anomaly in his career. What happened there? You mention the team was good before and after his tenure.... what were Mora's failures that caused the losses?
You know what? My memory was a bit faulty. Mora was only the coach during the 2009 season - Holmgren was still there for the huge backslide in 2008, when the Seahawks' decline became very apparent. Mora didn't have much of a positive impact in 2009 (he did manage to draft center Max Unger, who played at a Pro Bowl level for a number of years), but he was only there for that one season, so I'll agree not much can be gleaned from that experience. Carroll went in a different direction and pretty much cleaned house, also having a couple of great drafts that built the nucleus of their Super Bowl teams.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom