Mora is right | The Boneyard

Mora is right

Huskyfanohio

huskies fan windsor
Reaction Score
We have to support the program with donations. We need to go after the big companies in ct that they need to be donors to our program. This state has a lot of billionaires and big corporations that should be paying money to UConn athletics. We as fans need to donate also if we want UConn to be successful.

Reaction Score
Jim’s right, and I know they are working on things. They need more resources to entice recruits.

I don’t get why fanbase got mad at Jim today. The players and recruiting aren’t good enough. He has said as much. Yes, it is a sign to players in the building. Hearing it? Perhaps being this blunt helps his purpose. I would say the urgency has to be there with football competition

Reaction Score
We have to support the program with donations. We need to go after the big companies in ct that they need to be donors to our program.
A few of us are donating with season ticket seating donation but seeing a crowed......... that can sit anywhere they want.
Pratt & Whitney gave the land to the state, could not ask for much more than than that.

Other companies or groups have to have interest in football and in a strong way. There have been municipal groups that had group tickets in the past but have moved on to other schools sports. Sad to say.....

Reaction Score
We have to support the program with donations. We need to go after the big companies in ct that they need to be donors to our program. This state has a lot of billionaires and big corporations that should be paying money to UConn athletics. We as fans need to donate also if we want UConn to be successful.
You’d be surprised at the number of UConn grads that are worth high 9 and 10 figures.

Reaction Score
We need to go after the big companies in ct that they need to be donors to our program. This state has a lot of billionaires and big corporations that should be paying money to UConn athletics.
The Foundation and Athletics do this endlessly.

Reaction Score
Where is the money going to come from? People here have this false illusion that because UConn is located in Connecticut it is a rich school. It's quite the opposite. Regionally when compared to other private schools UConn is still a budget-best-for-money state school. The dog pound can throw a few bones but it won't move the needle in the grand scheme.

I just read an article mentioning that TCU is raising its tuition to over 60K (EXCLUDING ROOM BOARD AND FEES) which (pending Harvard's raise) is on par or in some cases over the cost of Ivy Leagues. TCU fundraised over a billion dollars as of October and currently has an over 2 BILLION $$$ endowment. To give perspective Uconn hasn't even passed 500 million yet. SMU just had donors step up and buy their way into the ACC for the bargain price of 330 Mil. That is something UConn alumn/faithful could never do and state taxes would never cover, even with the school's creative accounting methods.

So I ask again where is the real money going to come from? Do any of you guys have it? Cause last I checked I don't know of many UConn Alumn millionaires.

If Mora is disappointed that UConn isn't competing for NIL money from alumn/faithful like very wealthy mid-tier football programs such as Duke, SMU, Wake Forest, Tulane etc then maybe he chose the wrong program to come to. Perhaps coaching at UCLA and playing at Washington has put him out of touch with what UConn is and he's not liking what he sees.

I still think there is a path forward for UConn football to be competitive. Although I love Mora's passion and his pedigree and we are lucky to have gotten him, perhaps his roots in the NFL and very wealthy schools like UCLA and Washington have put him out of touch with where UConn stands financially in comparison with football resources. Maybe he was dangled BIG12 $$ and his whole world came collapsing in. If things don't work out perhaps UConn should be targeting very SUCCESSFUL proven FCS coaches who INNOVATE even if we are a stepping stone. Some of the grittiest best coaches started in high school but had employers who saw their undeniable potential.

I don't think any of us have the unrealistic idea we will ever be a Bama, Michigan etc. This isn't college basketball, Boise is still buried after all their success vs. say, Gonzaga. With the $$ emphasis I predict they will fall further behind each year. The entire point of NIL is to separate the established haves from the have-nots. The sooner the elite big boys with insane $$$ to burn can separate from the rest of the pack the sooner we can establish something fun that looks like college football again, hopefully regionally.

Reaction Score
Basketball has become much more egalitarian than football...last year San Diego State and FAU were Final Four...the odds of that happening in football ?

Reaction Score
Where is the money going to come from? People here have this false illusion that because UConn is located in Connecticut it is a rich school. It's quite the opposite. Regionally when compared to other private schools UConn is still a budget-best-for-money state school. The dog pound can throw a few bones but it won't move the needle in the grand scheme.

I just read an article mentioning that TCU is raising its tuition to over 60K (EXCLUDING ROOM BOARD AND FEES) which (pending Harvard's raise) is on par or in some cases over the cost of Ivy Leagues. TCU fundraised over a billion dollars as of October and currently has an over 2 BILLION $$$ endowment. To give perspective Uconn hasn't even passed 500 million yet. SMU just had donors step up and buy their way into the ACC for the bargain price of 330 Mil. That is something UConn alumn/faithful could never do and state taxes would never cover, even with the school's creative accounting methods.

So I ask again where is the real money going to come from? Do any of you guys have it? Cause last I checked I don't know of many UConn Alumn millionaires.

If Mora is disappointed that UConn isn't competing for NIL money from alumn/faithful like very wealthy mid-tier football programs such as Duke, SMU, Wake Forest, Tulane etc then maybe he chose the wrong program to come to. Perhaps coaching at UCLA and playing at Washington has put him out of touch with what UConn is and he's not liking what he sees.

I still think there is a path forward for UConn football to be competitive. Although I love Mora's passion and his pedigree and we are lucky to have gotten him, perhaps his roots in the NFL and very wealthy schools like UCLA and Washington have put him out of touch with where UConn stands financially in comparison with football resources. Maybe he was dangled BIG12 $$ and his whole world came collapsing in. If things don't work out perhaps UConn should be targeting very SUCCESSFUL proven FCS coaches who INNOVATE even if we are a stepping stone. Some of the grittiest best coaches started in high school but had employers who saw their undeniable potential.

I don't think any of us have the unrealistic idea we will ever be a Bama, Michigan etc. This isn't college basketball, Boise is still buried after all their success vs. say, Gonzaga. With the $$ emphasis I predict they will fall further behind each year. The entire point of NIL is to separate the established haves from the have-nots. The sooner the elite big boys with insane $$$ to burn can separate from the rest of the pack the sooner we can establish something fun that looks like college football again, hopefully regionally.
+1,000,000

Reaction Score
Jim’s right, and I know they are working on things. They need more resources to entice recruits.

I don’t get why fanbase got mad at Jim today. The players and recruiting aren’t good enough. He has said as much. Yes, it is a sign to players in the building. Hearing it? Perhaps being this blunt helps his purpose. I would say the urgency has to be there with football competition
John. I think a few got mad but most of us get it. In the land of steady habits the recruiting game changed overnight. In football UConn and the state were slow to respond. I think most of us understand that and are waiting for the plan to be be shared.

As an example. Why would one donate four, five or even six figures without knowing the strategy and the plan? Without those a donation feels like throwing good money after bad.

Reaction Score
Basketball has become much more egalitarian than football...last year San Diego State and FAU were Final Four...the odds of that happening in football ?
Impossible. In fact, the powers would never let that happen. Whenever a team breaks through the rules change to make it harder. Wait until 1 loss Tulane gets an auto bid in a 12- team playoff and SEC no. 4 doesn’t get in.

Reaction Score
That’s kind of true, but what really happens is that in some years there just aren’t any really good teams. It has happened before. It is just more pronounced in basketball because of the size of the tournament. It happens in football too. But when only 4 teams are selected there isn’t really a chance to see it. I mean Tulane beat PAC Champ USC in the Cotton Bowl last year. And TCU made the championship game. My guess is in the 12 team model you will see a bit more of this in certain years. It will still be more difficult since 4 teams get a bye and it won’t be G5s. But there will be years when 3-4 get ousted by 5-6 I bet.

Reaction Score
Impossible. In fact, the powers would never let that happen. Whenever a team breaks through the rules change to make it harder. Wait until 1 loss Tulane gets an auto bid in a 12- team playoff and SEC no. 4 doesn’t get in.
Right. The size of the field is really the defining factor. But the success of the lower level teams will be important too. Not every time but just enough. But again, a 12 team tournament is way different from a 68 team one in terms of upset potential.

You do see the rules changing even in basketball making the 16 seeds have to go through a play in game.

Reaction Score
Jim is right but it’s also not the full picture. For YEARS, G5 teams have succeeded while we have failed. Teams like Buffalo, Boise, Miami OH, have all put together winning teams that play good football. They’re cold region schools in mid tier conferences with less money and name recognition than us but they WIN. It’s not completely about the money it’s about incompetence in the locker room and a culture of accepting losing. And at the end of the day, that’s on Mora, Dave, and the staff.

Recruit better, coach better, care more, and we can win.

Reaction Score
Well...they let Cincinnatii play in the 4 team CFP...and Cincinnati not scoring a single TD in the game did not do much to build confidence that the best of the G5's would compete with the best of the P5's.
I suppose but then TCU lost by 50 last year. And Michigan lost by MORE than Cinci did. Doesn’t say much about the BIGs abilities either. But I’m not arguing that teams should get into the Final Four. But that there will be tears when there aren’t great teams and there will be upsets in the early rounds that result in unexpected teams getting through. But I agree, just like in basketball when the chips are all in bet on the blue blood. I mean 2 times UConn has gotten to the Finals and played an upstart. Neither was much of a game.

Reaction Score
Even if UConn starts bringing in more NIL $, other programs will still have more $. As soon as UConn starts getting recruits, the power programs will just start paying more. They have the cash. Isn't that how it's gonna work? UConn would have to pay more than other programs to bring players into this situation and I don't see that happening.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom