Moorhead intervied for Fordham Coach Job | The Boneyard

Moorhead intervied for Fordham Coach Job

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Interviewed, my keyboard sucks. Why can't you edit titles or delete threads on this board?

Reaction Score
sounds like there will be at least one change in the coaching staff next season...

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
sounds like there will be at least one change in the coaching staff next season...

Everyone knows that there will be many changes to the coaching staff. UConn/PP was in a very unique situation last year. Because of the way that FUHCRE snuck out of town last year, all of the assistants had already signed their contracts with UConn right before Edsall left town. So UConn was on the hook for all of their salaries whether they were on the staff or not. That is why basically any coach who wanted to stay got to stay..whether PP really wanted them to stay or not. Now that their contracts are up, many of them will be moving on.

Reaction Score
Everyone knows that there will be many changes to the coaching staff. UConn/PP was in a very unique situation last year. Because of the way that FUHCRE snuck out of town last year, all of the assistants had already signed their contracts with UConn right before Edsall left town. So UConn was on the hook for all of their salaries whether they were on the staff or not. That is why basically any coach who wanted to stay got to stay..whether PP really wanted them to stay or not. Now that their contracts are up, many of them will be moving on.

I'm sorry -- I thought Edsall left too quickly after the bowl game, and was the antichrist for not coming back to CT and holding a player meeting before he and Maryland announced he was coming there. I didn't realize that, at the same time he left too quickly, he was to be criticized for leaving too late in the process for his assitants to get on with their lives. My bad.

LMFAO.

UConnSportsGuy

Reaction Score
I'm sorry -- I thought Edsall left too quickly after the bowl game, and was the antichrist for not coming back to CT and holding a player meeting before he and Maryland announced he was coming there. I didn't realize that, at the same time he left too quickly, he was to be criticized for leaving too late in the process for his assitants to get on with their lives. My bad.

LMFAO.

It isn't about the timing relative to season/bowl games. It is as much on Hathaway as it was on Edsall's timing. But usually if a coach is looking at leaving, the AD at least has a clue about it and doesn't sign the assistants to a contract before finalizing that the HC will still be there. In this instance, JH had absolutely no clue that Edsall was looking at leaving and signed all of the assistants to their 1-year contract. Then Edsall left out the back door (I will leave how he left to another debate/discussion, as that is a separate issue). This left UConn in the extremely unique situation of having all of your assistants locked into a 1 year contact while the head coach has left town. That almost never happens (as most AD's aren't dumb enough to get themselves in that situation). I am sure this is just another one of the 'f&ck ups' that was on the list of Hathaway's problems when Herbst evaluated his performance.

Reaction Score
When Edsall made Toddman inform the team of his NFL intentions and then shortly thereafter he snuck out the back door, he lost a ton of credibility.

Reaction Score
most coaches leave before the bowl games (brian kelly, rich rod) and the school has the whole bowl season to figure the coaching situation out. RE telling his players via text is a completely different issue.

Reaction Score

LMFAO.

Twist it however you want, but that's not what the post says. Par for the course.

Reaction Score

That seems like a pretty reasonable explanation. But just out of curiosity ... was Edsall contractually handcuffed to his new Maryland assistants the same way P was handcuffed to Edsall's?

Reaction Score
That seems like a pretty reasonable explanation. But just out of curiosity ... was Edsall contractually handcuffed to his new Maryland assistants the same way P was handcuffed to Edsall's?

no. he chose most of that staff, and only retained a couple guys....iirc

Reaction Score
When Edsall made Toddman inform the team of his NFL intentions and then shortly thereafter he snuck out the back door, he lost a ton of credibility.
I know a lot has been made of this point on this forum over the past year, and without having been in the room when the announcement was made, I can't help but think this was a GOOD thing Edsall did. The end of the BCS game was the last time that specific team was ever going to be together again as a team, and it was the last time Todman was going to be a part of that team. Todman choosing to go pro at the time was a POSITIVE thing, so I simply took Edsall's push to have Todman announce it to the team as a thing to CELEBRATE with teammates. They were bummed after losing of course, and this was something positive they could all enjoy together as a team. I simply saw that as a move by a coach to give everyone a chance to publically (meaning, in front of the whole team) congratulate Todman and give him the chance to go around and give/get hugs as they wrapped up the season. The end of any season is emotional, and this was a huge milestone for Todman and the team-one of their own was announcing his intentions to go on to the next level-something they all aspire to do. That was something to celebrate, and celebrate together. It wouldn't have had the same emotional impact if it were done "after the fact" when everyone returned to campus for the start of the next semester a couple weeks later.

Again, I wasn't in the room of course when the announcement was made so I'm not trying to say definitively this is how it went in the locker room. But as a coach of 36 seasons in football, basketball, and Track & Field, this is how I interpreted that report. If there were follow-up reports in the papers that noted players complaining about how it was done I must have missed them, and I apologize. I am basing my thoughts above solely on how I have seen the locker room player/coach dynamic play out in my experience.

Reaction Score

Not sure this answers your question completely, but it does give some insight into the firing/hiring merry-go-round at Maryland prior to The Fridges departure.

In the ESPN article dated: 12/23/10, Thursday
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5938838
12/17/10 Terps offensive coordinator James Franklin accepted the head-coaching job at Vanderbilt; Anderson says he would have kept The Fridge for 2011 until then; Franklin offered jobs to several Maryland assistant coaches after accepting the job.
12/20/10 Friedgen fired as Maryland's football coach Monday, effective 12/29/10 after the Military Bowl.
12/23/10 Anderson say's there's no leading candidate and that no one had been contacted by late Monday (12/20)afternoon. Intends to have the position filled by Jan. 4.
1/1/11 UConn plays in the Fiesta Bowl.
1/2/11 ESPN reports Edsall accepts his "dream job."

Side note: The players told Anderson they wanted him to hire the kind of coach who could get them to the Orange Bowl. Tidy would be more like it...

Reaction Score
I know a lot has been made of this point on this forum over the past year, and without having been in the room when the announcement was made, I can't help but think this was a GOOD thing Edsall did. The end of the BCS game was the last time that specific team was ever going to be together again as a team, and it was the last time Todman was going to be a part of that team. Todman choosing to go pro at the time was a POSITIVE thing, so I simply took Edsall's push to have Todman announce it to the team as a thing to CELEBRATE with teammates. They were bummed after losing of course, and this was something positive they could all enjoy together as a team. I simply saw that as a move by a coach to give everyone a chance to publically (meaning, in front of the whole team) congratulate Todman and give him the chance to go around and give/get hugs as they wrapped up the season. The end of any season is emotional, and this was a huge milestone for Todman and the team-one of their own was announcing his intentions to go on to the next level-something they all aspire to do. That was something to celebrate, and celebrate together. It wouldn't have had the same emotional impact if it were done "after the fact" when everyone returned to campus for the start of the next semester a couple weeks later.

Again, I wasn't in the room of course when the announcement was made so I'm not trying to say definitively this is how it went in the locker room. But as a coach of 36 seasons in football, basketball, and Track & Field, this is how I interpreted that report. If there were follow-up reports in the papers that noted players complaining about how it was done I must have missed them, and I apologize. I am basing my thoughts above solely on how I have seen the locker room player/coach dynamic play out in my experience.

I know what you're trying to say, but it's just a matter of principle, integrity is a two way street. I give Edsall a lot of credit for what he did while he was here and I congratulate him on what he achieved, but I am also happy that he moved on, we needed a change.

Reaction Score

Good point and the right thing to do, BUT!, right after the guys are shedding tears of happiness for their teammate.
The coach walks out the lockerroom door never to be seen again.
Talk about buzz kill.

Reaction Score
Good point and the right thing to do, BUT!, right after the guys are shedding tears of happiness for their teammate.
The coach walks out the lockerroom door never to be seen again.
Talk about buzz kill.
Sadly-I agree. There wasn't a bigger Edsall fan on this board than me. I knew he was far from perfect, but I LOVED having him here as a fan, and I enjoyed working with him as a HS coach. I was shocked and disgusted that he didn't say good-bye to the team the right way. I appreciate greatly what he did in his 12 years at UCONN, but hated the way he left.

Reaction Score
Sadly-I agree. There wasn't a bigger Edsall fan on this board than me. I knew he was far from perfect, but I LOVED having him here as a fan, and I enjoyed working with him as a HS coach. I was shocked and disgusted that he didn't say good-bye to the team the right way. I appreciate greatly what he did in his 12 years at UCONN, but hated the way he left.
Sending your kid off to college to play football is like sending him off to join the army.
Your hoping he comes home in one piece, and it makes a man out of him, so he'll be ready to lead a productive life.
When you shake a coaches hand, and send your son into his lockerroom, your hoping the same thing.
I was an Edsall fan.

Reaction Score

LMFAO.
Hehe, for hating all the FUCRE threads so much, you certainly are always in the thick of it.

Reaction Score
Edsall did announce he was leaving too late. You think Addazio is at Temple if Edsall left right after the regular season? No chance. It is what it is. The Fridge was a late fire. It would have been better for UConn had Edsall been hired by Miami. I was told Hathaways list, for whenever Edsall departed, had Golden and Addazio on top. We got burned by having to fill in January.

With all of that said, I don't think Pasqualoni was a bad hire. It was safe, certainly not sexy, but the guy knows football.

I saw enough this season to be optimistic. I can see what Pasqualoni, Brown and DeLeone are trying to do, and I like it.

If they can get the players in here that they need to make their systems successful, they'll be successful.

Reaction Score

All fair points. My only problem with having Todman announce, was wherever the advice to go pro AND expecting to be a high draft choice was coming from. IF, big if - Edsall had a significant part in Todman making that decision, my gut tells me that Edsall knew that 2011 offense was going to be a clusterf8ck, and felt that the best thing Todman could do if he wanted to play at the next level, would be to take his shot at the NFL then, rather than play his next year of eligibility and potentially take a step backward, and I'll go ahead and add my personal opinion that Edsall knew he was gone prior to the Fiesta, and that there was probably a fair amount of hubris on Edsall's part in expecting that the new incoming coach might not be able to reproduce the same things he had done with the ground game. Low and behold, we managed to produce a top running back again, with an entirely different approach to the game, and not a whole hell of a lot to work with.

Reaction Score
It isn't about the timing relative to season/bowl games. It is as much on Hathaway as it was on Edsall's timing. But usually if a coach is looking at leaving, the AD at least has a clue about it and doesn't sign the assistants to a contract before finalizing that the HC will still be there. In this instance, JH had absolutely no clue that Edsall was looking at leaving and signed all of the assistants to their 1-year contract. Then Edsall left out the back door (I will leave how he left to another debate/discussion, as that is a separate issue). This left UConn in the extremely unique situation of having all of your assistants locked into a 1 year contact while the head coach has left town. That almost never happens (as most AD's aren't dumb enough to get themselves in that situation). I am sure this is just another one of the 'f&ck ups' that was on the list of Hathaway's problems when Herbst evaluated his performance.

Part of the issue with the timing of signing the assistant coaches last year is that UConn is one of only a few (maybe the only) schools whose contracts run on a calendar year. Most schools coaches' contracts are from July 1 - June 30. If those assistants weren't signed on New Year's eve last year, which is exactly the day they all got their contracts, they would've been coaching without contracts in the Fiesta Bowl. FHCRE has his faults but it was Hathaway that was late in getting the guys signed. And if the contractual calendar at UConn was normal, it wouldn't have mattered. The assistants would've been under contract through June 30 instead of through the 2011 season and ending on 12/31.

UConnSportsGuy

Reaction Score
Part of the issue with the timing of signing the assistant coaches last year is that UConn is one of only a few (maybe the only) schools whose contracts run on a calendar year. Most schools coaches' contracts are from July 1 - June 30. If those assistants weren't signed on New Year's eve last year, which is exactly the day they all got their contracts, they would've been coaching without contracts in the Fiesta Bowl. FHCRE has his faults but it was Hathaway that was late in getting the guys signed. And if the contractual calendar at UConn was normal, it wouldn't have mattered. The assistants would've been under contract through June 30 instead of through the 2011 season and ending on 12/31.

Good info...I wasn't aware of the unique timing of the UConn contracts vs most other schools.

I am guessing this is just another screw up by the UConn Athletic Department. I bet we were always on the calendar year schedule for football back from the D1-AA days when the season was over by December. When we upgraded to D1-A, no one ever realized the potential conflict and that every other D1-A school has a July-June contact schedule because the season often goes into January (if you have a successful season anyway). Just another example of our AD just doing things 'the way they have always been done' and not doing their job. Hopefully that will change with the new regime!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom