Monument Will Honor UConn’s Proud Olympic History | The Boneyard

Monument Will Honor UConn’s Proud Olympic History

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
The article indicates UConn athletes have won 27 gold medals. The question arises is how those medals are counted for team sports? For instance, in the last Olympics, UConn WBB players won gold medals as members of 2 team sports. Individually, UConn WBB players won a total of 6 gold medals.

If the team medals are being counted individually, then just about all of the gold medals are UConn WBB players. DT & Sue alone have 10 of them.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
The article indicates UConn athletes have won 27 gold medals. The question arises is how those medals are counted for team sports? For instance, in the last Olympics, UConn WBB players won gold medals as members of 2 team sports. Individually, UConn WBB players won a total of 6 gold medals.

If the team medals are being counted individually, then just about all of the gold medals are UConn WBB players. DT & Sue alone have 10 of them.
Pretty sure it includes each medal won - just not that many Olympic Gold medal winning athletes at Uconn and the women BB players account for most of the 27. Sue and DT 10, Tina 3, Swin, Stewart, Maya 6, Lobo, Wolters, Asjha, Dolson, and Collier 5 = 24. Add in one men's basketball in Ray Allen and it is 25 for the basketball teams.

The number of participants in the Olympics from women's basketball of 17 includes the 11 above plus Sveta (Russia), Gabby (France), Kia and Aaliyah (Canada), Rashidat Sadiq (Nigeria) - the only other I can think of is Jen participating as a coach. Bria Hartley has played for the French National team but not in an Olympics.

Edit: The idea of the monument is great - nice recognition for all the Olympic athletes - getting to the Olympics is a great achievement for any athlete (or coach.)

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Pretty sure it includes each medal won - just not that many Olympic Gold medal winning athletes at Uconn and the women BB players account for most of the 27. Sue and DT 10, Tina 3, Swin, Stewart, Maya 6, Lobo, Wolters, Asjha, Dolson, and Collier 5 = 24. Add in one men's basketball in Ray Allen and it is 25 for the basketball teams.

The number of participants in the Olympics from women's basketball of 17 includes the 11 above plus Sveta (Russia), Gabby (France), Kia and Aaliyah (Canada), Rashidat Sadiq (Nigeria) - the only other I can think of is Jen participating as a coach. Bria Hartley has played for the French National team but not in an Olympics.

Edit: The idea of the monument is great - nice recognition for all the Olympic athletes - getting to the Olympics is a great achievement for any athlete (or coach.)
Sounds good. So the trivia question for someone on this board to answer is, what 2 UConn athletes not associated with WBB or MBB won Olympic gold medals?

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
This is so amazing. Should help answer any questions recruits have as to what school to choose if they want a clear path to being selected for Team USA.

I realize in the past, there was a little confusion in that respect by at least one player who chose a different school and cited Team USA as a reason... :rolleyes:

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Tenn has a large number of Olympic golds in women's basketball as well - Catchings had 4, Parker and McCray (96,00) 2, Holdsclaw (00), McGhee (96), Gordon (88), Henry (84), Noble (84), and Lawson (08) 1 for a total of 14 Golds. LSU has Fowles and Augustus which together have 7 I think.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Tenn has a large number of Olympic golds in women's basketball as well - Catchings had 4, Parker and McCray (96,00) 2, Holdsclaw (00), McGhee (96), Gordon (88), Henry (84), Noble (84), and Lawson (08) 1 for a total of 14 Golds. LSU has Fowles and Augustus which together have 7 I think.
So basically you are saying one in the last decade (or maybe 2 - Catch)? Tennessee is so "last year" LOL ;)

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
So basically you are saying one in the last decade (or maybe 2 - Catch)? Tennessee is so "last year" LOL ;)
Catch and Parker actually.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I’ve been doing some digging on the 2 Olympic gold medals won by UConn athletes in sports other than basketball. I found one. It was won by Frank Dooley, UConn’s very first Olympian, in the 1952 Games in Helsinki. Dooley, a swimmer, was a member of USA’s gold medal winning 4 x 200 freestyle relay team.

That accounts for 26/27 gold medals. Still working on # 27.

Reaction Score
I’ve been doing some digging on the 2 Olympic gold medals won by UConn athletes in sports other than basketball. I found one. It was won by Frank Dooley, UConn’s very first Olympian, in the 1952 Games in Helsinki. Dooley, a swimmer, was a member of USA’s gold medal winning 4 x 200 freestyle relay team.

That accounts for 26/27 gold medals. Still working on # 27.
Stephanie Labbe…team Canada…hockey.

Reaction Score
I greatly appreciate you filling in the blank. But Stephanie Labbe’s sport was soccer, not hockey. She was a goalie on the Canadian team that beat Sweden for the gold medal in Tokyo.
LOL - I saw goalie/Canada and my brain said ‘hockey’.

Justavisitor

Unpopular Opinions
Reaction Score

The Lady Vols represent more than just basketball. Soccer, swimming, softball, and a long history in track and field

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom