Montreal ? | The Boneyard

Montreal ?

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
I'm looking to combine Lake George with possibly Montreal during at late July trip. Would Montreal be boring for teens? I haven't been there since I was a teen myself. Is there a nice resort in that area - outside the city ?

If not, where else? I've combined Lake George with Burlington before.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I'm looking to combine Lake George with possibly Montreal during at late July trip. Would Montreal be boring for teens? I haven't been there since I was a teen myself. Is there a nice resort in that area - outside the city ?

I used to simply add Saratoga Springs (usually went around Travers) or Vermont to my Lake George trips. If your kids are outdoorsy types, they might enjoy an upper Hudson rafting trip. Water may be low in July, but last time I went it was mid-June and there were some pretty good stretches of class III.

Haven't been to Montreal in years, but made the mistake of visiting Mont Tremblant in summer (this was beginning July). Wife and I had welts from black fly bites for weeks afterwards. Damned things kept biting and sucking even when you were submerged in the pool. Never, ever again.

Reaction Score

The drinking age in Montreal is 18 and is relatively a young city, so if you teens are near that age, they will have a lot of fun on Peel & St. Catherine's St. There are also some really good steak houses in the city and the architecture around Old Montreal is interesting and its a popular hang-out in the summer. Mt Royal up behind McGill University is a good hike with good views of the city and river valley. That said, if you are going in the summer, be careful of their Jazz fest. You need to get a hotel for that months in advance. Also, in the summer, the border crossing on I-87 (everyone will need a Passport, too) can get really backed-up with along with the 3 or 4 bridges that cross the St. Lawrence into Montreal with heavy summer traffic.

If you don't want to go to Montreal, there is also Lake Placid, Saratoga (can be combined with Lake George), and the Fingers Lakes (Cooperstown, Ithaca, Watkins Glen [careful of NASCAR events) & Letchworth State Park ('Grand Canyon of the East').

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
I'm actually looking to visit Lake Placid now (never been) instead of Lake George and also Montreal. Ausible Chasm is something I knew of and would be nice to include.
Thanks for the suggestions.

Reaction Score
I'm actually looking to visit Lake Placid now (never been) instead of Lake George and also Montreal. Ausible Chasm is something I knew of and would be nice to include.
Thanks for the suggestions.

I loved going to Lake Placid when I was a kid.

I remember thinking Montreal was fine but that Quebec City was a lot more interesting (I realize it’s also further away)

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
I loved going to Lake Placid when I was a kid.

I remember thinking Montreal was fine but that Quebec City was a lot more interesting (I realize it’s also further away)

I to went to Montreal and Quebec City as a kid and Quebec City had a bigger impact on my memory - so went last summer there (QC) . Really cool, but It gets way too crowded though.

Reaction Score
I to went to Montreal and Quebec City as a kid and Quebec City had a bigger impact on my memory - so went last summer there (QC) . Really cool, but It gets way too crowded though.

Oustide of work, I have taken my wife to Quebec City for a long weekend getaway (their Winter festival is amazing) and went to Montreal for my Bachelor party. Both cities served their purpose well.

Reaction Score
I used to simply add Saratoga Springs (usually went around Travers) or Vermont to my Lake George trips. If your kids are outdoorsy types, they might enjoy an upper Hudson rafting trip. Water may be low in July, but last time I went it was mid-June and there were some pretty good stretches of class III.

Haven't been to Montreal in years, but made the mistake of visiting Mont Tremblant in summer (this was beginning July). Wife and I had welts from black fly bites for weeks afterwards. Damned things kept biting and sucking even when you were submerged in the pool. Never, ever again.

I've summered in Tremblant twice. Loved it and never had a problem with insects.

If you're in the Lake George/Saratoga area take a day and see Ticonderoga. Well worth it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom