"Moneyball" recruiting | The Boneyard

"Moneyball" recruiting

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

Some coaches are not afraid of the Transfer Portal. If Edsall held back half a class for the Transfer Portal, I would applaud the innovative thinking, whether it worked or not. We MUST change the odds in recruiting or we are going to lose, badly, in this part of the program. At the very least, keep an open mind to the occasional plug in player to fill a need, of which we have many. We are a misfit program, and should be looking for talent in recruiting's version of The Island of Misfit Toys.

What does Edsall do? Tells every potential recruit, present and future, to not even look at UConn. UConn can win the Transfer Portal, but it is not even trying.

Reaction Score
Yep...the Transfer Portal will be incorporated into the recruiting strategy of many programs...Since it has been relatively new, few have fully assimilated the portal into their overall effort.

But that will change. It is a chance to snag a good athlete who got buried on the depth chart or who didn't fit the scheme, etc.

The other P5's are cherry picking while Lovie is going at it wholesale.

Reaction Score
Our expected starting center Walker and right tackle Wyant are transfers, as is LB Morgan, safety Harrell, LB Dillon Harris, QB Micah Leon, OT Andrew Silva, G Zach Early.

Pindell, Art Thompkins, Beudry, Ardell Brown, the defensive lineman from Miami were transfers. I'm probably missing a few.

There's stiff competition for the top transfers too so i'm not sure why that is seen as a preferred path. We lost the D-line transfer from Columbia to Tulane and there were a bunch of others that we were linked to but they chose other schools.

We used to complain about not having enough May recruits now were going to complain about having too many.

Last edited:

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Our expected starting center Walker and right tackle Wyant are transfers, as is LB Morgan, safety Harrell, LB Dillon Harris, QB Micah Leon, OT Andrew Silva, G Zach Early.

Pindell, Art Thompkins, Beudry, Ardell Brown, the defensive lineman from Miami were transfers. I'm probably missing a few.

There's stiff competition for the top transfers too so i'm not sure why that is seen as a preferred path. We lost the D-line transfer from Columbia to Tulane and there were a bunch of others that we were linked to but they chose other schools.

We used to complain about not having enough May recruits now were going to complain about having too many.

Reaction Score
Randy's best players went into the portal this year. He wouldn't take Tyler Coyle if he was on the other side of the portal? What an idiot.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
What part does admissions play in accepting transfers? Also- if a kid is not starting at a school and bails- what does that say about the kid?

Reaction Score

Some coaches are not afraid of the Transfer Portal. If Edsall held back half a class for the Transfer Portal, I would applaud the innovative thinking, whether it worked or not. We MUST change the odds in recruiting or we are going to lose, badly, in this part of the program. At the very least, keep an open mind to the occasional plug in player to fill a need, of which we have many. We are a misfit program, and should be looking for talent in recruiting's version of The Island of Misfit Toys.

What does Edsall do? Tells every potential recruit, present and future, to not even look at UConn. UConn can win the Transfer Portal, but it is not even trying.
He didnt rule out looking at kids in which he had knowledge of. Which means kids he offered. Which is Medic's offer lists over the last 4 years.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
What part does admissions play in accepting transfers? Also- if a kid is not starting at a school and bails- what does that say about the kid?

That says to me that UConn is desperate for talent and will take who they can get.

hardcorehusky

Reaction Score
That says to me that UConn is desperate for talent and will take who they can get.
Exactly opposite - the admissions is so tight they don't accept lots of guys that could help and also hurts transfers as well. This is a systemic problem which the Boneyard blames RE and DB. It starts at the President's office- one decision to let football have 5 recruits a year with lighter grades and scores would make a big difference on the field.

Reaction Score
Exactly opposite - the admissions is so tight they don't accept lots of guys that could help and also hurts transfers as well. This is a systemic problem which the Boneyard blames RE and DB. It starts at the President's office- one decision to let football have 5 recruits a year with lighter grades and scores would make a big difference on the field.
What was Suzy's stance on this? Is the new guy any different? Isn't part of the problem going to be solved with no requirement for SAT's at some point?

hardcorehusky

Reaction Score
What was Suzy's stance on this? Is the new guy any different? Isn't part of the problem going to be solved with no requirement for SAT's at some point?
Suzy was the one that raised admissions standards throughout the school. Football was a casualty of this decision. Who knows what they will look at with no test scores. How will they separate a 3.4 gpa in a school in CT from one in Texas?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom