Monday Morning Coffee with Kim Mulkey. | The Boneyard

Monday Morning Coffee with Kim Mulkey.

Reaction Score
Well, Kim didn’t throw her robe.

NET - no movement. Still rated # 3
RPi - move up 5 spots to # 16
Massey - dropped 1 spot to # 5

She did smirk when asked about her detractors like @SECbbfan24. Of course he might smirk back when the AP is released this afternoon.

String another loss to a team not named South Carolina, LSU will be a top 8 seed.

I have them rated # 9 in my Quad One wins minus losses rating for the Boneyard Poll. Kim spilled a little hot coffee in my lap when she saw that.

Reaction Score
NET doesn’t seem to be updated…

Attachments

• 4C9C1C8A-CD9F-4605-8465-59F329C5F82F.jpeg
    4C9C1C8A-CD9F-4605-8465-59F329C5F82F.jpeg
    271.8 KB · Views: 79
Reaction Score
NET doesn’t seem to be updated…
Well, her coffee still tastes good. LOL

I pulled mine off of Warren Nolan’s site that is updated and ( I think) uses the NET algorithm. Usually ( can’t say always) a team doesn’t fall for losing to number 1. Stanford didn’t. UConn didn’t. UCLA didn’t. Maryland was before NET season ratings began after third week

I could be wrong and NCAA official net will update later today.

Reaction Score

I pulled mine off of Warren Nolan’s site that is updated and ( I think) uses the NET algorithm. Usually ( can’t say always) a team doesn’t fall for losing to number 1. Stanford didn’t. UConn didn’t. UCLA didn’t. Maryland was before NET season ratings began after third week

If the NET has been updated already and LSU remains at #3, which wouldn’t surprise me for the very reason you give, then my only question is: will UConn stay on the top line in the next reveal or does LSU take their place?

The committee would need to depart from NET to move them and so far LSU is who they mainly moved. The question about their schedule has not really been answered yet. But I think they looked competitive with SC for at least half of that game. And UConn seems like more of an enigma, frankly than LSU does. At their best, Nika &Co look much better than LSU, even as a depleted squad. But they aren’t always at their best and have been especially erratic lately. They might lose two more games in the BE, or they may snap out of it and run Creighton and Villanova off the court. There’s no predicting which at this point.

The question about UConn will have been resolved by the next reveal. If they win out, I suspect they’ll keep their #1 seeding, if only because no one’s ready to put Utah or LSU there yet. Also, currently only 3 teams look at all like potential competition for SC and everyone will want a chance to see those games in the ff and nc. A revitalized UConn with Azzi and Caroline playing well would be the matchup everyone wants to see, and I expect everyone is waiting to see if that can happen. Stanford is the only other team to play SC close. But lose more games in the BE and I think the expectation of more UConn magic will fade and they’ll fall to the second line (at least) when we next hear from the committee.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Sometimes (can’t say always), a #1 team can lose to a #21 ranked team and stay at #1 the following week because of their body of work. See Purdue’s men. :rolleyes::D
However, it didn’t save them this time after that that debacle against unranked Northwestern.

Reaction Score
Sometimes (can’t say always), a #1 team can lose to a #21 ranked team and stay at #1 the following week because of their body of work. See Purdue’s men. :rolleyes::D
However, it didn’t save them this time after that that debacle against unranked Northwestern.
We lost last year twice to unranked teams, but did not fall from number one either time

Reaction Score
If the NET has been updated already and LSU remains at #3, which wouldn’t surprise me for the very reason you give, then my only question is: will UConn stay on the top line in the next reveal or does LSU take their place?

The committee would need to depart from NET to move them and so far LSU is who they mainly moved. The question about their schedule has not really been answered yet. But I think they looked competitive with SC for at least half of that game. And UConn seems like more of an enigma, frankly than LSU does. At their best, Nika &Co look much better than LSU, even as a depleted squad. But they aren’t always at their best and have been especially erratic lately. They might lose two more games in the BE, or they may snap out of it and run Creighton and Villanova off the court. There’s no predicting which at this point.

The question about UConn will have been resolved by the next reveal. If they win out, I suspect they’ll keep their #1 seeding, if only because no one’s ready to put Utah or LSU there yet. Also, currently only 3 teams look at all like potential competition for SC and everyone will want a chance to see those games in the ff and nc. A revitalized UConn with Azzi and Caroline playing well would be the matchup everyone wants to see, and I expect everyone is waiting to see if that can happen. Stanford is the only other team to play SC close. But lose more games in the BE and I think the expectation of more UConn magic will fade and they’ll fall to the second line (at least) when we next hear from the committee.
Example 2021 seeding.

SCar was #5 in The NET but the selection committee move us "Above the Line." If I remember correctly, they even jumped us to #3 - above NC State who had beaten us. I think this was done to keep from pairing us with #1 UConn, to whom we had also lost during the regular season. I forget who fell from 4 to five. Louisville maybe.

The committe has lots of wiggle room in the guidelines to achieve desired pairings, so long as they dont move teams too far off their NET position. What "too far" is, I don't know. Three places?

Reaction Score

They said LSU would get that top seed only if they beat South Carolina. They lost by 24 and it was a double digit deficit most of the game. I would be surprised if they aren't a 3 seed given how much of an importance the selection committee puts on strength of schedule and their lack of top wins. Their resume just doesn't compare to their competition for a 1 or a 2 seed at this point.

Reaction Score
They said LSU would get that top seed only if they beat South Carolina. They lost by 24 and it was a double digit deficit most of the game. I would be surprised if they aren't a 3 seed given how much of an importance the selection committee puts on strength of schedule and their lack of top wins. Their resume just doesn't compare to their competition for a 1 or a 2 seed at this point.
They will not drop below a two seed for that loss. Maybe if they lose another to SCar in the tournament championship, but probably not.

Much depends on whether a Big 12 team is close enough for a two seed. If not, three conferences will get two 1-8 seeds.

Reaction Score
They will not drop below a two seed for that loss. Maybe if they lose another to SCar in the tournament championship, but probably not.

Much depends on whether a Big 12 team is close enough for a two seed. If not, three conferences will get two 1-8 seeds.
It not just that loss, its that it was a 20 point + loss when other top 15 teams have managed to keep it under 10 against South Carolina, plus the lack of any other top wins that will be the issue plus some close wins against not great teams. I don't know that they are a three seed yet, but I also don't see them winning out the rest of their schedule and I think other teams will have stronger resumes by the time march rolls around. The only other opportunity to win against a top 25 team is South Carolina in the SEC tournament but thats not a guarantee. We will see, there is currently no evidence they are a top 10 team and they certainly shouldn't be rewarded for never beating anyone.

Reaction Score
Resume matters a lot, but perhaps a little less so in the second half of February. If LSU can show that they are for real -- they haven't exactly done this yet -- perhaps by beating SC in the SEC tournament, and if UConn continues to falter, I think they could make it into the top line. Conference distribution may matter. But I think there aren't a lot of other candidates. Utah? ND? MD? Villanova? Duke?

Reaction Score
Resume matters a lot, but perhaps a little less so in the second half of February. If LSU can show that they are for real -- they haven't exactly done this yet -- perhaps by beating SC in the SEC tournament, and if UConn continues to falter, I think they could make it into the top line. Conference distribution may matter. But I think there aren't a lot of other candidates. Utah? ND? MD? Villanova? Duke?
LSU already showed they aren't for real. No top 25 wins, and a blow out to the only top team they played. No way is the SEC getting two one seeds after yesterday. If UConn continues to falter I don't see why you would but LSU above Iowa or Utah at this point.

Reaction Score
LSU already showed they aren't for real. No top 25 wins, and a blow out to the only top team they played. No way is the SEC getting two one seeds after yesterday. If UConn continues to falter I don't see why you would but LSU above Iowa or Utah at this point.
The Net computer has them as a top 8 team.

So does the human voter AP Poll released today.

Thus, you can’t say “no way.”

Reaction Score
The Net computer has them as a top 8 team.

So does the human voter AP Poll released today.

Thus, you can’t say “no way.”
The committee has already showed they will put LSU below the net rankings as its not reflective of how good they are but how well they took advantage of a weak schedule. Ditto with the AP poll.

Reaction Score
If you're saying resumé does matter, I probably disagree. I think it matters only in the sense of trying to forecast before the end of the season how someone might do later. But once it's later, what you're capable of in March has to outweigh whatever your resumé might say. In other words, LSU played a weak schedule and were overrated for most of the season. But if they really come on over the next few weeks, maybe by winning the SEC tournament -- you know, demonstrate how they've come together as a team -- then they deserve a good seeding. If a team played the toughest schedule in the land and fall apart in February, by contrast, they may not deserve a good seeding.

Was the point of playing a tough OOC schedule merely to burnish a resumé, or was it to develop the team? If the former, it should be clear by now how irrelevant this is.

But if your point is merely that LSU is not likely to show us anything special before March -- if you're merely making a prediction -- then I probably agree with you. I think they are not likely to play any better than they have in the last few weeks.

Reaction Score
If you're saying resumé does matter, I probably disagree. I think it matters only in the sense of trying to forecast before the end of the season how someone might do later. But once it's later, what you're capable of in March has to outweigh whatever your resumé might say. In other words, LSU played a weak schedule and were overrated for most of the season. But if they really come on over the next few weeks, maybe by winning the SEC tournament -- you know, demonstrate how they've come together as a team -- then they deserve a good seeding. If a team played the toughest schedule in the land and fall apart in February, by contrast, they may not deserve a good seeding.

Was the point of playing a tough OOC schedule merely to burnish a resumé, or was it to develop the team? If the former, it should be clear by now how irrelevant this is.

But if your point is merely that LSU is not likely to show us anything special before March -- if you're merely making a prediction -- then I probably agree with you. I think they are not likely to play any better than they have in the last few weeks.
I’m saying both. A tough OOC schedule serves both purposes. One to make your team better and and two to put you in a better position for success for the tournament with high quality wins to get a better seed.

And I’m also saying, due to what LSU has done, there’s no reason to think LSU will show us anything special before March. The best predictor of future behaviour is past behavior, and LSU has showed me nothing special, so I don’t see any reason to believe they will show anything else.

Reaction Score
LSU has handled the schedule they played like a very good team should.

Because of the schedule deficiencies It is just difficult to see where they rank among other very good teams.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom