Molly's second 3 | The Boneyard

Molly's second 3

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
It's just as Charli Collier said when she committed to UConn (before the hurricane of course), "They just do things different there".

Reaction Score
I like the presence of mind to take the step to the left using the screen by Batouly to ensure she was clear for the shot.

Reaction Score
I remember reading an interview sometime last season during which Bent mentioned that the coaches had been working with her to change her shooting motion. She was a pretty good shooter in HS so it took courage to make a change and I wonder if it has taken this long for her to feel enough confidence to take the shot in games. It might be revealing to dig back and find some HS clips of her shooting 3's in prep school and compare with her shot now.

Reaction Score
okay, here comes the bricks, but I'm ducking, so there.
Of course, I'm so happy for Molly and of course it's wonderful that the bench is so enthusiastic.

But isn't there at least a tiny bit of condescension in cheering so wildly for a sub hitting a 3, when the bench sort of takes in stride a 3 by a starter? Having been a (very, very deep) sub myself, I was always both grateful and yet aware that the starters were having somewhat of a good time cheering for us. You might have close friends who are starters and some of your fellow subs might be less so, but there is also a different, very subtle division: between all starters and all deep subs. Getting cheered so very wildly by the starters on the bench is both exhilarating but also reminding you just a little bit of that division. "Act like you've been there before," is what coaches tell football players scoring a TD. In a way, just a little more casualness, as if it were expected, might be a better bench response.

ducking now.....

Last edited:

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Of course, I'm so happy for Molly and of course it's wonderful that the bench is so enthusiastic.

But isn't there at least a tiny bit of condescension in cheering so wildly for a sub hitting a 3, when the bench sort of takes in stride a 3 by a starter? Having been a (very, very deep) sub myself, I was always both grateful and yet aware that the starters were having somewhat of a good time cheering for us. You might have close friends who are starters and some of your fellow subs might be less so, but there is also a different, very subtle division: between all starters and all deep subs. Getting cheered so very wildly by the starters on the bench is both exhilarating but also reminding you just a little bit of that division. "Act like you've been there before," is what coaches tell football players scoring a TD. In a way, just a little more casualness, as if it were expected, might be a better bench response.

ducking now.....
Another, more generous way to interpret the starters' reactions is that they might be thinking, "Have we found our reliable third guard? Maybe we won't be in such deep doo-doo if Crystal and Kia both get in foul trouble in a close game."

If that's what they were thinking (even subconsciously), then I think it is an overreach based on just this evidence. But still, it is a positive sign (just as we have seen positive signs from Mikayla in other games, doing other things like getting steals). If the team can use the AAC schedule to really get both of these players comfortable (or only one, if the other clearly falters), then they can go into the NCAA tournament having at least one and possibly two guards off the bench who (while by no means equal to Crystal and Kia) can prevent a big dropoff in the level of play if they have to fill in for Crystal and Kia for significant minutes.

Reaction Score
Also, by request. (GIF takes a moment to load; click on it if nothing happens.)

For a real treat, watch Gabby's reaction.

I hope the floodgates are open for her now!

Reaction Score
Thanks @connie . This is a collectable video (along with Kyla's).
That really makes my day ~~~

Reaction Score

ducking now.....

Maybe they are just happy to see a beloved teammate (who rarely gets to play) make not one, but two three pointers! Sometimes, a cigar is just a cigar!

Reaction Score
I was surprised to see Uconn still shooting at that point, Normally Geno would have the players hold the ball. I can remember in the 2007-2008 season Tahirah Williams hitting a 3 pointer with 14 seconds to go and Uconn up 97-46 vs Purdue, and some fans went crazy about it. final score of that game ended up 100-48 Uconn.

Reaction Score
I was surprised to see Uconn still shooting at that point, Normally Geno would have the players hold the ball. I can remember in the 2007-2008 season Tahirah Williams hitting a 3 pointer with 14 seconds to go and Uconn up 97-46 vs Purdue, and some fans went crazy about it. final score of that game ended up 100-48 Uconn.
They are allowed to shoot when not doing so would result in a shot clock violation. There were more than 30 seconds on the clock when the play commenced.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score

The shot clock was still on. Geno usually has them hold the ball when the shot clock is off but rarely will he let the shot clock expire.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
isn't there at least a tiny bit of condescension in cheering so wildly for a sub hitting a 3, when the bench sort of takes in stride a 3 by a starter?
I don't think so; just the opposite actually. Molly and teammates are well acquainted with her role on the team and the limited time she gets. Being genuinely happy when she makes the most of it isn't condescension, it is support.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom