Molly Was On The Bench. Good For Her! | The Boneyard

Molly Was On The Bench. Good For Her!

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
In addition to the recognition for her 4.0+ grade-point average over the last two semesters, there was another "first" for Molly Bent last night. She got to sit out the last 5 minutes of a 79-39 game, watching other players handle the garbage time. Her benchmates during those final minutes were Lou, Pheesa, Crystal, and Megan -- pretty good company. It was almost a place of honor for her.

I think it is a clear indication that she has solidified her position as the Third Guard, and may be on the verge of getting nearly equal minutes to Christyn. She came into the game early and got a good number of minutes, probably more quality minutes (leaving aside the last five) than Christyn. There were critical comments on another thread about her play last night -- I thought she played as well as she has played recently, including a good drive to the basket, and taking some open shots that didn't fall. SMU felt the need to guard her -- they didn't sag off of her at all. She got a few steals. And yes, she made a few mistakes, but no more than other players who generally played well.

I would expect to see more of her playing in that same consistent way, and I hope to see her on the bench again at the end of lopsided games.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
In response to @JoePgh comment “a clear indication that she has solidified her position as the Third Guard, and may be on the verge of getting nearly equal minutes to Christyn
As much as I like Molly and note she has made big strides in her play/confidence, there is no way she should get the same minutes as CW. Christyn is key for a strong NCAA tournament run as well as our future and this view is evidenced by what she did vs. ND, her #1 ranking and her numerous USA BB team selections.

Last edited:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
If Molly plays the same # of minutes as CW, we are in trouble. Molly has improved and I think can be a dependable 3rd guard deployed for various reasons but CW just needs to relax a bit. I actually thought she had good activity and got alot of good shots that just missed. She is fine.

Reaction Score
In addition to the recognition for her 4.0+ grade-point average over the last two semesters, there was another "first" for Molly Bent last night. She got to sit out the last 5 minutes of a 79-39 game, watching other players handle the garbage time. Her benchmates during those final minutes were Lou, Pheesa, Crystal, and Megan -- pretty good company. It was almost a place of honor for her.

I think it is a clear indication that she has solidified her position as the Third Guard, and may be on the verge of getting nearly equal minutes to Christyn. She came into the game early and got a good number of minutes, probably more quality minutes (leaving aside the last five) than Christyn. There were critical comments on another thread about her play last night -- I thought she played as well as she has played recently, including a good drive to the basket, and taking some open shots that didn't fall. SMU felt the need to guard her -- they didn't sag off of her at all. She got a few steals. And yes, she made a few mistakes, but no more than other players who generally played well.

I would expect to see more of her playing in that same consistent way, and I hope to see her on the bench again at the end of lopsided games.
If you read Italian hand signals---it was evident Molly was on the bench because Geno was not happy with her play, she made less than freshman mistakes, in passing and shooting in a well guarded under the boards situation. I like Molly and had great hopes she'd actually see decent game time this year. Geno kept his two hands going left and right while shaking head as he talked to Molly---I don't see how that can be good. When Gabby was a Frosh and made a mistake, he'd take her out talk to her as she passed then pat her back as she went to the bench. Different hand signals.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
That he was talking and gesticulating to Molly at all usually means his expectations (and perhaps the need) for her have increased. When was the last time she had a dressing down from Geno during the game? I think never. Even through all the poor play and hesitancy she's shown over the years. Good on Molly. She has, from what I see, moved in Geno's eyes from, "Well, she competed" to "Okay, how about showing me something".

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
In prep for next year, Mikayla must be given as much playing time as possible. Her ceiling is much greater than Molly's.
We can worry about next year in May. If MC doesn’t fix her shot, Molly is the better option.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
He got on Bent a couple times last night. The first was for not shooting. You could hear him yell "Shoot the damn ball!" earlier in the game when she passed up an open look. Then at the end of the game, she got going too fast and made the poor pass to Irving causing her to travel.

Reaction Score
Ah yes, that pass. Looked to me like she had two open options and got caught between them. Started to pass to Kyla and then realized the other option was even more open and couldn't pull it back.

Reaction Score
I still think the unsinkable Molly will be a topic of posts, and play an important part before its all over. i just hope the part is a successful one. Seriously she stands a 50/50 chance to contribute in a very meaningful way. And WHAT a great story that would be - legends.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
In prep for next year, Mikayla must be given as much playing time as possible. Her ceiling is much greater than Molly's.
I love Combs, great energy... reminds me of Ketia

Reaction Score
That he was talking and gesticulating to Molly at all usually means his expectations (and perhaps the need) for her have increased. When was the last time she had a dressing down from Geno during the game? I think never. Even through all the poor play and hesitancy she's shown over the years. Good on Molly. She has, from what I see, moved in Geno's eyes from, "Well, she competed" to "Okay, how about showing me something".
Good point. Additionally, she had the most minutes of any sub and Geno may have wanted to give other players a few minutes.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I love Combs, great energy... reminds me of Ketia
Ketia! I just wish Mikayla had a shot, or could at least finish at the rim.

Reaction Score
Going with 7 today for most of game. Think Molly had her moment against the lesser teams in AAC. Genoa preparing for Louisville.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Mikayla is a good defender and solid with the ball, but her offense is so horrible that she's actually a liability on the court. She scored a bunch of points in high school so I have no idea what's going on, but I'm not sure I've ever seen a player with such a poor offensive repertoire at UCONN.

Reaction Score
Molly is not going to get more time on the floor until she can make 3 of 4 foul shots, rather than miss 3 of 4. She is also not reliable with the ball. Her passing is still ( often) unwise, resulting in a turnover. True, she has improved. But...not that much. And any talk of giving her more minutes at Williams' expense is off base. Apples and oranges. Molly is not in the same category of player.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom