Molly Bent | The Boneyard

Molly Bent

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
I was gladdened to see Molly score last night. She too often hesitates, and then passes off when open. And at times , she will be indecisive , and travel as she did last night at least once. She seems like such an eager, enthusiastic team mate. Not sure, but I think I saw Geno turn and speak directly at her in the huddle yesterday, and then she came out a jacked in a trey. How can the staff get her to just shoot without thinking so much? I am sure they have tried repeatedly to get that message across. She plays hard, seems to have an understanding of where to be , but it just seldom jells. I keep hoping! :D

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I think she played better last night but still needs to slow the heart rate down and let the game come to her. I hope against the AAC teams we can see her evolve more on this trend. I wonder if her, Kyla and Mikayla all try to do something when they do get on the floor and therefore force too many unwise situations in trying to effect the game?

Reaction Score
I was gladdened to see Molly score last night. She too often hesitates, and then passes off when open. And at times , she will be indecisive , and travel as she did last night at least once. She seems like such an eager, enthusiastic team mate. Not sure, but I think I saw Geno turn and speak directly at her in the huddle yesterday, and then she came out a jacked in a trey. How can the staff get her to just shoot without thinking so much? I am sure they have tried repeatedly to get that message across. She plays hard, seems to have an understanding of where to be , but it just seldom jells. I keep hoping! :D

@Bama thanks nice thoughts on a nice kid.
Molly's best game as a Husky!. Geno did with her, as he did with Mikaya, CW, ONO he coached her. Big plus for all of them. When I screw up tell me then not next week-and EXPLAIN what I did wrong and how to fix it. Give Geno his due, nothing more.
Molly in HS was a fairly good to better player. If she ever had confidence she misplaced it at Uconn. But this game, if she can build on it could go a long way to making Molly a super sub--Geno needs that.

Reaction Score
Honestly I think “senior Molly” will finally get it! This “Junior Molly is slowly figuring out how to relax and go. Next year we might see 5 ppg from Molly.

Reaction Score
She also had a nice step through move for a layup a couple of games ago. How appropriate that the song that just came up on my internet radio station as I type this is "Step by Step" by the Crests...

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
My suggestion, because I'm out of Molly suggestions but not hope: A shot of Jack and a beer.
That sounds like an aggressive drinking game.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
That sounds like an aggressive drinking game.
I seem to have heard talk of drinking games on the telly not long ago. They must be devilishly exciting! ;) In fact it has been said that they are supremely fun! :eek:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Geno wants her to shoot, I noticed a few times last night, she passed on open 3s and Geno was not pleased

Reserves are a little reluctant to shoot even if they have an open look. They don’t want to be perceived as a “ball stopper “, but as a player that can come in and play within the offense and keep the ball moving for a good shot. If you’re a reserve, the last thing you want to be perceived as is a gunner “. :eek:

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Reserves are a little reluctant to shoot even if they have an open look. They don’t want to be perceived as a “ball stopper “, but as a player that can come in and play within the offense and keep the ball moving for a good shot. If you’re a reserve, the last thing you want to be perceived as is a gunner “. :eek:
As opposed to Mikayla who fears her own outside shot, then takes the wild drive and fails to finish.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I always get the sense with Molly that she has significant performance anxiety. I can identify somewhat because as a young kid I struggled with that as well.

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
As opposed to Mikayla who fears her own outside shot, then takes the wild drive and fails to finish.
Coombs may not be able to change the mechanics of her outside shot. It amazes me though that she seemingly has no problem getting to the basket and has can't maintain balance to put the ball in the hole. It is even more surprising that the staff has not, in just over a year, been able to fix it. It is really hard to watch when she penetrates from the left wing.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Molly is actually a pretty good shooter when she takes a shot in rhythm and doesn't stop to think about it.

The key word in your comment is rhythm. In order to develop some, one must take several shots. This is why they like to get Lou lots of shots early in the first quarter. They want/need her to get in a rhythm early so that she is comfortable putting it up from anywhere on the floor. We all know how potent Lou can be when she’s in rhythm. When she’s hot, that fires up the rest of her teammates and gives them confidence to hoist it up as well.

Reaction Score
My suggestion, because I'm out of Molly suggestions but not hope: A shot of Jack and a beer.
Gentleman Jack is my favorite. Molly and Kyla are terrific young women who work hard and do everything asked of them. But they reflect a recruiting class with one top signee and two " fillers." If we get two more Molly and Kyla types for the class of 2019, the contributions and potential will, likely, be the same. It is really hard to find that " overlooked" diamond. Although the St. Louis freshman (#32?) we saw yesterday, is far better than either Molly or Kyla. So it is possible. If you saw the game, that " string bean" freshman center of theirs was also quite effective in shutting down Olivia.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Mikayla will soon have a bigger problem; the world will know she cannot make an outside shot and will defend accordingly. So she is going to have to do other stuff really well to keep the team's offense purring. She can do this, but it is a mental hurdle to realize and accept this limitation.

Reaction Score
Molly took a step (and was called for it) trying to put up a shot right after entering the game, and I thought, "Uh oh, here we go again. Molly's paralyzed by analysis." but no, she gathered herself and actually canned a three soon after! I'm hoping this is the start of a fusillade from her. Why not? Molly passing up shots is just plain getting old. Go Molly!

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I always get the sense with Molly that she has significant performance anxiety. I can identify somewhat because as a young kid I struggled with that as well.
But she's a young adult in the program for 3 years. It's now or never. The only way she is going to see the court in the big spots on merit (as opposed to team foul trouble) is if she can be money from 3. Prove you make the 3 against the JV and you will earn time against the varsity.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Unfortunately, I think the only way that Molly is likely to overcome her mental demons is to play a lot of minutes, and it's hard to see how that is going to happen unless we have a lot of very non-competitive games -- which eventually we will. If (very hypothetically) she got 15-18 minutes per game, she probably would conquer most if not all of her problems.

However, even as she is now, I am not convinced that Mikayla makes more of a contribution than Molly does. Certainly Mikayla is faster and can jump higher for rebounds, but she can't shoot as well and makes at least as many mistakes. It won't take long for opponents to realize that they don't have to defend Mikayla's jump shot, and indeed they should invite her to take it.

Mikayla is a more gifted athlete, but Molly may contribute more to this team. But Geno seems to have decided that Mikayla is his third guard.

Reaction Score
Coombs may not be able to change the mechanics of her outside shot. It amazes me though that she seemingly has no problem getting to the basket and has can't maintain balance to put the ball in the hole. It is even more surprising that the staff has not, in just over a year, been able to fix it. It is really hard to watch when she penetrates from the left wing.
She needs to work on driving, pullup floater. She can get to the rack any time she wants and has great hops. If she just works on a nice shot around the rim, it would go a long way to either getting fouled getting to the rim or finishing an easy 2 pts or dishing to Olivia, Collier, Walker or Lou

Rocket009

Santa Cruz. CA
Reaction Score
Yeah, she's a great kid and all that; BUT; a D1 player she is not. Her role (and Irwin's) is chop wood, carry water, etc...

Not a D1 player? First off she is playing in D1 currently, and could easily be a starter at many D1 schools. Both Molly and Kyla were recruited by other D1 schools. If you want to make the case that she is not as gifted as the UCONN starters, then maybe make that clear, but then there are not that many players in D1 who are that talented.

Reaction Score

She’s has another year of eligibility left. Honestly sky is the limit.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Consider this: If you could (hypothetically) rank all the backcourts in D1 WBB, for how many teams would Molly not start? 100? More? Less than 100? I think it would be less than 100.

Try another group: The AAC. For how many AAC teams would Molly not start?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom