Mock WNBA Draft | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Mock WNBA Draft

Reaction Score
I am resurrecting this thread, as I am re-thinking my own analysis, in light of analyzing draft prospects for the NBA Draft and my Phoenix Suns.

I would be more comfortable with Diamond DeShields at #1 if this were within the NBA framework. If DeShields were a male player, with her phenomenal athletic gifts, she would have been in the draft pool at 19, having gone to college for one year (and just one year removed from HS and AAU).

But Diamond is 22 years old. She has been to two colleges in four years. Even if you do not think much of Sylvia Hatchell and Holly Warlick as Xs and Os coaches or as coaches who can develop players, i agree that she should be a more polished product at this stage of her career. In other words, she should be further along in terms of her development.

I had deja vu when I read this and then realized I'd read it on another message board. :p It's funny to come across the same posters under different handles. Hello! (I thought you were British though?)

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Cam - I agree with your re-evaluation. Physical gifts for Diamond are absolutely #1 worthy, but everything else about her, and especially her shooting percentage through her 3 years of college are big red flags. And on top of that she has a spotty injury history and when the legs go on an athlete it is game over. If I were a GM (and depending somewhat on who does forgo a final year of eligibility, I am not touching her before #6 and if lots come out early, #10. Maybe you get a home run, but chance are you get a wash-out.

SA is in an interesting situation - I think Plum is worthy but not a high need, and I am not convinced on the post players - you don't have a Tina Charles type of can't miss prospect - Jones is nice but limited offensively and will get eaten alive until she develops more diversity I think. Again, the difference between college competition and going up against Tina and Sylvia, and BG nightly. Don't really have a handle on the forwards because I think that is the other big need in SA.
There was actually little in his analysis that you agreed with. It was my analysis that said she's not worth the #1 overall. It was I that said her red flags of poor shooting were glaring and that I didn't think she would ever be a consistent shooter. Cam spoke about development on the professional level. Well great. That however take times, and usually when coaches take projects it ain't with the #1.

The problem with development on the pro level is the player, if they aren't a raw talent, Usually needs to overcome a mass of bad habits: shooting off the wrong foot, over jumping, consistently finishing with the same hand, shoot first mentalities etc. Bad habits are far more difficult to overcome because under pressure players will resort to what they know, not necessarily what is correct. To me DD has a load of bad offensive habits. On the pro level time is usually one thing coaches and GM's don't have. With the Lazy Susan of coaches and GM's come the lack of stability which hampers the progress of a player in a major way. This is why I say DD will get more coaches and GM's fired than she will have success.

I said Plum is not a need for SA, and that a big is the priority. I also said I though Plum was a better fit in Seattle than Jewel. So, I'm curious. In what way do you agree with his analysis and not mine?

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
There was actually little in his analysis that you agreed with. It was my analysis that said she's not worth the #1 overall. It was I that said her red flags of poor shooting were glaring and that I didn't think she would ever be a consistent shooter. Cam spoke about development on the professional level. Well great. That however take times, and usually when coaches take projects it ain't with the #1.

The problem with development on the pro level is the player, if they aren't a raw talent, Usually needs to overcome a mass of bad habits: shooting off the wrong foot, over jumping, consistently finishing with the same hand, shoot first mentalities etc. Bad habits are far more difficult to overcome because under pressure players will resort to what they know, not necessarily what is correct. To me DD has a load of bad offensive habits. On the pro level time is usually one thing coaches and GM's don't have. With the Lazy Susan of coaches and GM's come the lack of stability which hampers the progress of a player in a major way. This is why I say DD will get more coaches and GM's fired than she will have success.

I said Plum is not a need for SA, and that a big is the priority. I also said I though Plum was a better fit in Seattle than Jewel. So, I'm curious. In what way do you agree with his analysis and not mine?
Check the post from today 1:17 where he goes over all his reservations on re-evaluation re DD.

JordyG

Reaction Score
Check the post from today 1:17 where he goes over all his reservations on re-evaluation re DD.
Okay sorry, you're right. Point taken.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Okay sorry, you're right. Point taken.
But I did like your analysis as well! :)
Though I think Jewell fits fine in Seattle, but not as a PG - she really struggles when Sue sits and she takes the lead. They could certainly use Plum, but I don't see them getting her unless maybe they traded Ramu or Crystal plus their first for SA's first.

JordyG

Reaction Score
But I did like your analysis as well! :)
Though I think Jewell fits fine in Seattle, but not as a PG - she really struggles when Sue sits and she takes the lead. They could certainly use Plum, but I don't see them getting her unless maybe they traded Ramu or Crystal plus their first for SA's first.
Well as I said, SA doesn't need Plum. Trade Jewel for Chicago's #1.

Reaction Score
[QUOTE=" Plum has had an amazing college career. She is, however, much closer to her ceiling than DeShields.[/QUOTE]

Easy to say DD has not hit her ceiling when she is wildly inconsistent and has so many areas she needs to improve as a player ... vs. ... Someone who is 50/40/90 and the all-time scoring leader for a season and career. Also a clear leader and great teamate. What else you expect Plum to do at this level? Run a little faster or jump a little higher?

Plum will handle the next level just fine. Lyndsey Whalen is not the most athletic and is pretty good in WNBA last time I checked.

Reaction Score
Russell needs another year of development, preferably at another program, OSUw, ND, UW.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Russell needs another year of development, preferably at another program, OSUw, ND, UW.
Interesting point. ND could use a big for next year.

Reaction Score
Well as I said, SA doesn't need Plum. Trade Jewel for Chicago's #1.

No way if I'm Seattle would I trade Jewel unless you are certain Plum will be a superstar. Then I'd consider but still probably not. With Stewie and Loyd, they just have to find a pg. They don't need a super Sue Bird type pg to make Stewie and Loyd great. I see Loyd as a superstar. Unless you see Plum as one too? Which is possible. I just haven't watched Plum enough.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
I respect your post and what you were trying to get at but the only similarity between Catchings and DD is that that both went to Tenn and are 6'1". Catchings was one of the greatest basketball players in history. in addition, she was a great teammate and a class act. There is not one category where DD compares favorably to TC and IMO there never will be. In other words, what separates the two is everything. Sorry for the negative post but my respect for Catchings is at the top of the charts and to see her in the same paragraph being compared to DD was a bit disheartening.

@rugbymate , that WAS the point. Catchings had her limitations as a shooter, but was able to make up for that by being All-World on the defensive end. Diamond is also 6-1 and uber athletic, like Catchings, but does not have the defensive prowess or elite skillset in another area to make up for her limitations.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
I had deja vu when I read this and then realized I'd read it on another message board. :p It's funny to come across the same posters under different handles. Hello! (I thought you were British though?)

Actually, I had been messaging Richie about this. After going through the NBA draft prospects, I went back and looked at Diamond's stats, watched some video, and checked her bio.

As an aside, I use the same handle on all boards. Not British, but would LOVE to live in London.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom