Mock WNBA Draft | The Boneyard

Mock WNBA Draft

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I'm a big fan of Osahor, but she seems like quite a risk as a draft pick. From what I've heard/read, her body is fairly broken down at this point. Not sure how much of a pro career she's going to have. She's been fun to watch in college though.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Don't think DD is the #1 pick.
It should be Plum no doubt and assume every team will want her.

Indeed!! San Antonio has other needs. The only way I can see them drafting DeShields is to do a sign & trade with another team. DeShields has yet to prove she's a team player. She talks the talk, but does not always deliver when the rubber meets the road. The Stars have enough shooters, they need a post player, and a strong power forward/wing that can shoot, rebound and play defense.

DeShields is not known for her defensive prowess. Stranger things have happened, but I'd be surprised if DeShields went #1 to San Antonio. If they want a shooter, take Kelsey Plum. She doesn't play any defense either, but she's a much better shooter, and without the baggage. Oh, BTW, DeShields is coming out this year.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
If I was SA's general manager and/ or their head coach, I would draft Brionna Jones. They need a post badly and she fills the bill. And yes I would take her over Coates.

I don't see Diamond as a #1. Too many questions about her attitude.

Carnac

Reaction Score
If I was SA's general manager and/ or their head coach, I would draft Brionna Jones. They need a post badly and she fills the bill. And yes I would take her over Coates.

I don't see Diamond as a #1. Too many questions about her attitude.

Indeed!!! I agree 1000%. If the system allowed me to give you more likes, I would. SA finished dead last in the league last year. They've got 1 chance to get this right. They better not screw it up. Brionna Jones would be an excellent choice. She's a talent that would pay dividends for 8-10 years. The desperately need a post player.
Shooters are a dime a dozen. There's several in the draft every year. A good post player is worth her weight in gold. Jones can run the floor, she's good around the basket, and she's decent on defense.

I would also try to acquire Shayla Cooper (Ohio State). She's a shorter version of Brionna Jones, plus she can bring the ball up, and score from beyond the arc and closer.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
DeShields is not known for her defensive prowess. Stranger things have happened, but I'd be surprised if DeShields went #1 to San Antonio. If they want a shooter, take Kelsey Plum. She doesn't play any defense either, but she's a much better shooter, and without the baggage. Oh, BTW, DeShields is coming out this year.
I watched Washington's last game vs Oregon. Plum played good, aggressive defense the whole game.

Carnac

Reaction Score
I watched Washington's last game vs Oregon. Plum played good, aggressive defense the whole game.

OK, Then THAT only adds to her value. Her stock rises. Even more reason to take her over DeShields, because we know that Diamond rarely plays any defense.

Carnac

Reaction Score
The thought of Jefferson flicking passes to the orange princess fills me with dread.

Jefferson (and the team) need help, and lots of it. I'm sure she'd play and pass the ball to anyone (regardless of their pedigree) that would help the team win.
I just can't see the Stars drafting Diamond. They have too many needs in other areas to take her.

Reaction Score
The best thing about this draft (except for San Antonio) is their is no clear cut #1 pick.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
There is a massive difference between talent evaluation for the college game and for the pro game.

DeShields is a 6-1 guard/wing who is uber-athletic and can create her own shot. You cannot teach those things. You can work on shooting mechanics (which she needs) and defensive effort, but her ceiling is much higher than that of Plum.

Plum has had an amazing college career. She is, however, much closer to her ceiling than DeShields.

Mitchell is more athletic than Plum, but Plum is more efficient. Mitchell is still adjusting how to play with better talent around her (which she did not have her first year. as an example). This may be an issue in the W - playing with better players and contributing when the ball is not in her hands - when she will not be the focus of the offense (and may not even be the 1st or 2nd option on offense). Plum is not as quick, but being the focus of the opposing team's defense has turned her into a player who is much more adept at creating space, working on a quicker release, and her movement without the ball.

Brionna Jones puts up great numbers and is a force in the post. But she is undersized for a WNBA center and is able to physically overpower her opponents in college, which she will not be able to do in the WNBA.

But DeShields is - and should be the top pick - for a franchise that believes its coach can develop her on both ends of the court to reflect the conversion of her limitless tools into tangible basketball skills and consistent performances. And San Antonio has a huge need at the SF position. Diamond has also never played collegiately with a PG as good as Jefferson (or even a playmaker who was better at that skillset than Diamond), so this will help her overall game.

Chicago is set at PG - Vandersloot as the starter, Faulker as the backup. Dolson is a starter; the only question is whether she will be at the 4 or 5, as Chicago does not have a stretch four or forward with guard-like skills like Delle Donne to put there. What Chicago needs is offense; EDD was over 25 percent of Chicago's points. Plum can provide that in droves. And Cappie Pondexter, who has been the starting SG, is 34 years old; Plum could easily be the heir apparent.

In terms of both talent and fit, I believe DeShields (#1 to SA) and Plum (#2, to Chicago) are right where they are supposed to be.

Reaction Score
There is a massive difference between talent evaluation for the college game and for the pro game.

DeShields is a 6-1 guard/wing who is uber-athletic and can create her own shot. You cannot teach those things. You can work on shooting mechanics (which she needs) and defensive effort, but her ceiling is much higher than that of Plum.

Plum has had an amazing college career. She is, however, much closer to her ceiling than DeShields.

Mitchell is more athletic than Plum, but Plum is more efficient. Mitchell is still adjusting how to play with better talent around her (which she did not have her first year. as an example). This may be an issue in the W - playing with better players and contributing when the ball is not in her hands - when she will not be the focus of the offense (and may not even be the 1st or 2nd option on offense). Plum is not as quick, but being the focus of the opposing team's defense has turned her into a player who is much more adept at creating space, working on a quicker release, and her movement without the ball.

Brionna Jones puts up great numbers and is a force in the post. But she is undersized for a WNBA center and is able to physically overpower her opponents in college, which she will not be able to do in the WNBA.

But DeShields is - and should be the top pick - for a franchise that believes its coach can develop her on both ends of the court to reflect the conversion of her limitless tools into tangible basketball skills and consistent performances. And San Antonio has a huge need at the SF position. Diamond has also never played collegiately with a PG as good as Jefferson (or even a playmaker who was better at that skillset than Diamond), so this will help her overall game.

Chicago is set at PG - Vandersloot as the starter, Faulker as the backup. Dolson is a starter; the only question is whether she will be at the 4 or 5, as Chicago does not have a stretch four or forward with guard-like skills like Delle Donne to put there. What Chicago needs is offense; EDD was over 25 percent of Chicago's points. Plum can provide that in droves. And Cappie Pondexter, who has been the starting SG, is 34 years old; Plum could easily be the heir apparent.

In terms of both talent and fit, I believe DeShields (#1 to SA) and Plum (#2, to Chicago) are right where they are supposed to be.

I agree with much, even most, of what you say. I think one thing that needs to be added, and considered, about Deshields is her work ethic and what kind of teammate she would be. It's what has held her back so far; is there reason that that would change?

As for Plum, I'm still not sure what might be the best positional fit for her at the next level. Would playing more off the ball help, as with a Jefferson-like true point guard? Or can she handle the point herself? I'm not so sure she's read for that at the moment, but I certainly could be wrong.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
The question on Diamond always has been: How close to her ceiling will she be? Given 3 rather inconsistent seasons in college, I have my doubts.

Re Brionna Jones, I agree that she won't be able to overpower players in the W. She also has an odd running style, with very short strides. Can she run the floor well enough?

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
I agree with much, even most, of what you say. I think one thing that needs to be added, and considered, about Deshields is her work ethic and what kind of teammate she would be. It's what has held her back so far; is there reason that that would change?

As for Plum, I'm still not sure what might be the best positional fit for her at the next level. Would playing more off the ball help, as with a Jefferson-like true point guard? Or can she handle the point herself? I'm not so sure she's read for that at the moment, but I certainly could be wrong.

DeShields played for two very passive coaches - Hatchell and Holly. Hatchell does not do any Xs and Os or player development. Holly let Diamond run the team.

With a team as young as SA (Jefferson in her second year, McBride in her first year, DeShields in her rookie year), you have the three best players being the youngest players. This is where the head coach will be the leading force and will have to rule the roost to develop the players. The coach will have to be the leader.

Put Diamond under Vickie Johnson, and things will change. VJ played in New York with Hampton, Weatherpoon, Witherspoon, etc. and had to deal with players with big personalities who clashed. With all of that around her, she was fantastic. She was the first player in WNBA history to record 4,000 points, 1,000 rebounds, and 1,000 assists in a career. She is one of only seven players in league history to rank in the top 30 in career points, rebounds and assists. She played in five WNBA Finals. And she was an assistant for six years before becoming a head coach. She has the resume, the experience, and the temperament to demand the best out of Diamond and to get it.

RogueDave

Wasn’t Me!
Reaction Score
Some interesting thoughts on DD... My outsiders perception is she has a difficult time fitting in...

She is a talented and athletically gifted player...As a matter of fact she is good enough to keep both teams in the game at the same time...Favorite Genoism...

It would sadden me to see Ruth Riley draft DD...I have such high regard for her...Drafting discontent into the lockeroom for your 1st draft as GM...

Let her be someone else's problem...
Draft her, trade her to someone else get some good post players...

Build your team with good people and great basketball players...You have a good start...Moriah and Kayla...Keep going...

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Sorry, but for San Antonio Jones over DD or Plum. A big shooting 2 guard wouldn't be a bad choice, like Walker-Kimbrough maybe. But DD and Plum want to bring in up and control the pace of play. S.A. already has one of those. I've said it before and it bears repeating. DD IMO will never be a consistent jump shooter. On almost every jump shot of hers she elevates differently: Different height, to the side, forward etc. That does not lend itself to consistency. With a #1 pick as a GM you had better be 100% sure or it's your job. IMO DD will always be the one who will cost GM's and coaches their jobs while they wait for this potential to bear fruit. I think Plum is the far better player now and will be so in the pro's. Just my opinion.

Reaction Score
Brionna Jones is not a #1 pick, and is not going to be an impact WNBA player. Too slow, small for a center, and has no jumpshot to make up for being on the smaller side. I seen SA has traded for or signed several posts this offseason, so I wouldn't think Jones or Coates for that matter is on their radar.

Physically, Diamond has some things going for her, but she can also turn out to be a huge risk. I'd say Plum is going to have a rough time dealing with the speed and physicality at the next level. Hard spot for SA with a new head coach/GM to be in.

Reaction Score
Brionna Jones is not a #1 pick, and is not going to be an impact WNBA player. Too slow, small for a center, and has no jumpshot to make up for being on the smaller side.

Agreed. Jones has had an awesome season, and she's integral to Maryland's success. I'm sure she'll make a roster, but I can't see her being an impact player. At best, I can see down the road she'll become an important rotation player... I'd love to be surprised by her, though!

Reaction Score
In the WNBA the tallest player thus far is 6'7". There are several 6'4", 6'5" and 6'6" players but not alot of them. Minnesota right now don't have a player over 6'2" tall. I don't believe Brionna Jones height will be an issue in the WNBA. If she's on the right team she could be an impact player. I don't think San Antonio is that team. The perfect team for her (and Diamond Deshields) is the Mystics. With Jones, the Mystics have 6'5" EDD and 6'4" Meesseman who like to play on the wing. Plus they just signed Kristi Toliver. Those three will spread the floor and Jones will have plenty of room to operate down low. With Deshields, she won't drop that low but she would be with a great coach and surrounded by great players. That means she don't have to be the savior right away and be properly coached which hasn't happened to her in college thus far. Perfect situation for her.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom