Mock 2020 WNBA Draft Crystal 3rd Pick | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Mock 2020 WNBA Draft Crystal 3rd Pick

Reaction Score
Cox has size, versatility, and what WNBA coaches really crave, defensive prowess. The more of this a college player has, usually the easier transition to the WNBA.

Baylor’s Lauren Cox repeated as Defensive Player of the Year after winning the award last season. The junior from Flower Mound, Texas, led the league with 72 blocked shots through 29 games played. She became just the third player since the award began in 2006 to become a two-time recipient, joining Oklahoma’s Courtney Paris (2006-08) and BU’s Brittney Griner (2010-13).

So between Ionescu and Cox for #1 in 2020, it may come down to what you need worse, a guard or a forward.

#1 in 2020
IND: Dupree is getting old - Cox
NYL: They could use everything - Ionescu
CHI: Definitely could use a PF - Cox
DAL: Less sure about their post situation - Cox
LVA: Just picked up Young. Wilson and Cox would be intriguing duo.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Cox has size, versatility, and what WNBA coaches really crave, defensive prowess. The more of this a college player has, usually the easier transition to the WNBA.

So between Ionescu and Cox for #1 in 2020, it may come down to what you need worse, a guard or a forward.

#1 in 2020
IND: Dupree is getting old - Cox
NYL: They could use everything - Ionescu
CHI: Definitely could use a PF - Cox
DAL: Less sure about their post situation - Cox
LVA: Just picked up Young. Wilson and Cox would be intriguing duo.

Outside of best fit, in the depressed WNBA marketplace, you need to consider fan attraction and I think Ionescu is the type of player that can help the bottom line.

Reaction Score
Seriously this is just one very small person that did this list. Fansided has 30,000 twitter followers. They are not the leading edge of women’s basketball. Too early to tell who the seniors that will step up. Crystal has to prove her worth in big games before we coronate her.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Voeple ranks top 12 seniors which is close to mimicking a draft. Puts Crystal #3 as well

Women's college basketball: Top 12 seniors for 2019-20

3. Crystal Dangerfield, UConn, 5-5 guard
2018-19 stats: 13.4 PPG, 3.3 RPG, 5.9 APG

With Katie Lou Samuelson and Napheesa Collier gone, Dangerfield will be the senior leader for a team that must develop a new identity. She has risen to challenges before in her career, and she'll likely do the same this time.

jonson

Oregonian
Reaction Score
Cox vs. Sabally is totally apples and oranges. To me Sabally is still fairly raw and just starting to figure out how good she can be. I think Cox is about what she's going to be at this point. Depends on what you want. I think Sabally projects as a wing as a pro and Cox a post. Cox is certainly a better interior defender and passer. Sabally is a better perimeter shooter by miles (128 made 3's 40% in 2 years vs. 35 made 3's 33% in 3 years for Cox). Sabally is quicker and more athletic and better on the drive. I truly believe Sabally has more upside than Cox does. Rare combination of length, athleticism and skill set.

I completely agree. Sabally is far from a finished product at this point, whereas Cox seems to me very close to being WNBA ready, if not so already. Given her intelligence, humility, and work ethic, I have no doubt that Sabally will be a far better player than she is now--and she is very good-- in a year (or two). And I'm fairly certain it will be the latter since I think she will want to spend two years in Eugene playing with her sister. (Theirs is a very tight knit family.).

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Cox is my favorite. Should go #1. She should even go #1 of the 2019 draft too. That might even be putting her more favorably over McCowan.

But the rest of that draft is.... light. I'd take the top 15 of WNBA of 2019 over the rest, but I guess that could change. We got a whole season left to play. Oh right, I forgot Ionescu's in this draft, but still... she'd still be #2 after Cox.

Not sure if she beats out Sabrina, but I believe Cox would've been #1 overall this year if eligible. Kind of funny how the 2016 HS class is weak overall but had 3 different players who likely would've been #1 overall if eligible ahead of the entire 2015 class.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
How good would Kiah Gillespie look in a UConn uniform? CT HS player that either Geno didn't recruit or if he did, she decided to go elsewhere. Bria Holmes would also have looked good in UConn blue. The best CT HS Players that have significant talent decide to play elsewhere.

Voeple ranks top 12 seniors which is close to mimicking a draft. Puts Crystal #3 as well

Women's college basketball: Top 12 seniors for 2019-20

3. Crystal Dangerfield, UConn, 5-5 guard
2018-19 stats: 13.4 PPG, 3.3 RPG, 5.9 APG

With Katie Lou Samuelson and Napheesa Collier gone, Dangerfield will be the senior leader for a team that must develop a new identity. She has risen to challenges before in her career, and she'll likely do the same this time.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom