Mo - Down Not Out | The Boneyard

Mo - Down Not Out

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
She was so amazing in college, and when she graduated, some of us (at least me), thought she would have a great chance to become an Olympian. Instead, constant injuries have kept her from being healthy for any length of time, and not only has she never sniffed Team USA, she isn't even a starter.

I wonder what her pro career would have been like if she had been totally healthy. Doesn't take away at all her tremendous college career. I think she, and Kaleena Lewis (KML), are often overlooked for our collective college accolades comments due to their lack of accomplishments in the pros...

Reaction Score
this looks like a massive L of a trade for the Sun. 2 first round picks+a girl who set the 3 PT record in a game for the franchise+ Mo Jeff???

All for Marina and a 2nd rounder?? I dunno this seems risky.
How so? Marina has been a consistent player and Connecticut obviously see her as an upgrade on comparison to Banham and Jefferson.

I'm a fan of Moriah but she's also been injury prone. Banham has been decent, but she's also streaky. The risk seems to be more with Chicago than Connecticut from my perspective.

edit

Not to mention Chicago had very little draft capital thanks to the decisions of their previous coach. They need to get draft capital back.

Reaction Score
How so? Marina has been a consistent player and Connecticut obviously see her as an upgrade on comparison to Banham and Jefferson.

I'm a fan of Moriah but she's also been injury prone. Banham has been decent, but she's also streaky. The risk seems to be more with Chicago than Connecticut from my perspective.

edit

Not to mention Chicago had very little draft capital thanks to the decisions of their previous coach. They need to get draft capital back.
Banham seems to be getting the hang of things. Mo when healthy can put up good numbers. Also 2 first round picks especially with next years draft class seems foolish. There’s talent galore in 2025.

Reaction Score
Banham seems to be getting the hang of things. Mo when healthy can put up good numbers. Also 2 first round picks especially with next years draft class seems foolish. There’s talent galore in 2025.
It's one pick for 2025 and a swap for 2026. In reality it's one pick.

Yes, it's possible this move is risky, however Connecticut has depth at the guard position (Carrington, Harris, Burton). Adding Mabrey increases their depth. Maybe they feel confident they can find a good player in the 2nd or 3rd that will fill their roster.

Reaction Score
It's one pick for 2025 and a swap for 2026. In reality it's one pick.

Yes, it's possible this move is risky, however Connecticut has depth at the guard position (Carrington, Harris, Burton). Adding Mabrey increases their depth. Maybe they feel confident they can find a good player in the 2nd or 3rd that will fill their roster.
Right - because they chronically have traded away their first and, often, second rounds...... really have to question the front office for those decisions...

Reaction Score
Right - because they chronically have traded away their first and, often, second rounds...... really have to question the front office for those decisions...
Considering they were in a WNBA finals twice within the last 5 years, their front office seems to be doing better than most. Go ahead, question the president who is a UConn alum and also responsible for the Olympic squad.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
As a season ticketholder for both UConn WBB and the Connecticut Sun, I cannot remember that the Sun have ever had a player on their roster who wore shamrocks in college, even though there are a lot of them in the WNBA. So this will be a new fan experience for me and many Sun fans.

Nonetheless, I think this is a good trade for the Sun. The Sun's biggest need is for serious 3-point shooting. Banham was supposed to be the answer to that, but except for one game last week against Phoenix, she has not met that expectation -- and she has serious defensive deficiencies. Moriah has simply never been able to replicate her collegiate success in the WNBA, presumably because of injuries -- but she has more often been injured than healthy in her WNBA career, including this year. And because of her diminutive size, she is defensively limited against tall guards like Sabrina Ionescu or Caitlin Clark (just like Crystal Dangerfield).

Mabrey is a player like Dijonae Carrington in many ways -- she has far exceeded the expectations based on her draft position (late in the second round). She has been a leader for both Dallas and Chicago, based partly on her credible 3-point shooting but mostly on her fiery personality and competitive intensity. She has missed few if any games due to injury.

I think she will start for the Sun, and Ty Harris will come off the bench. That will be a net gain for the Sun -- not a large one, but the Sun don't need a large gain to get over the hump and into the WNBA championship series.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
Although Huskie fans hate Mabrey, we know what she can do on the court. Banham was a bust when the Sun drafted her, and I was not happy when they brought her back. Mo has been injury prone her entire pro career, so even though she is my all-time favorite PG, its not killing me letting her go for Mabrey. The Sun have major problems with their 3 point shooting, so getting Mabrey for that purpose is a win for the Sun. They have the talent to win the title, but unless they can start making outside shots they will always be a bridesmaid.

Reaction Score

This article provides more context on the situation. Chicago initiated this as Mabrey asked to be traded.

Another item to consider is that this all stems from Chicago''s former coach, James Wade's decisions when he traded for Mabrey in 2023. I do recall fans questioning the decision, especially with what he gave up to get Mabrey.

Looking at the whole situation, I feel bad for both Mabrey, Jefferson and Banham. This trade is the repercussions of decisions made by a coach/GM who left midway during the same season he made this move. The nasty side of the business sadly.

Reaction Score
this looks like a massive L of a trade for the Sun. 2 first round picks+a girl who set the 3 PT record in a game for the franchise+ Mo Jeff???

All for Marina and a 2nd rounder?? I dunno this seems risky.

This is the second time in a little over a year that Marina has been traded and the team that traded her gets a crazy package back.

As a Chicagoan, and Sky fan, we desperately needed a facilitator, perimeter defender and 3-point shooting. Moriah checks all those boxes. I mentioned previously wanting Nika, but Moriah is a huge get (plus Banham and the pick for what should be a good Draft class next year). I’m excited to see her under Teresa Weatherspoon when she gets back healthy.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jackruy1

Top Bottom