MNT's 2021 | Page 29 | The Boneyard

MNT's 2021

Reaction Score
Whatever Steffen's ceiling might be he's already shown he can't be counted on to be sharp for the USMNT. Turner is #1 until Steffen gets regular club work. I've made up my mind on that.

Dest is going to be maddening. Absolute quality but gets in trouble trying to show it off and is a liability on defense.

Arronson has proved his worth and is the #1 backup on either wing behind Pulisic and Reyna. Weah isn't a winger. Give him a shot at striker.

Adams, McKennie played a horrible first 20 minutes and the entire squad is heavy on the first touch.

I'm liking Pepe, but I don't think we can count on him every game at his age Need to find another good option, but he's the leader for that spot now by default. Wusah ia showing quality as well but I'm not sure I like 2 attacking mids ahead of Adams. I prefer 2 holding mids behind McKennie, but it's a good thing to be have the option to change gears. Wusah still needs some polish, a bit sloppy with the ball as are many others.

I like having a 10 an 8 and a 6 in the midfield.

Reaction Score
Problem is we don’t have a true 10. US is easy to beat - funnel them down the middle as they don’t have guys who can make plays in small spaces.

Funny thing when Gregg might be coaching for his job he rolls out a very Euro lineup. I prob would have gone with Zimmerman with Richards or Robinson in the back for some experience.

CR was putrid. Imagine if that breakaway was someone with average speed? It’s 2-2 and we’re having a different convo.

looking like Mexico/US/Canada with Panama maybe sneaking in. Can’t let up but we should be fine

Reaction Score
I don't get people dissing Dest. Without him we tie or lose to both Jamaica and Costa Rica. The first goal was not his fault (or even a mistake). It was good service by Costa Rica and bad coverage by the USA.

I thought we were pretty much dominate but our service from the wings was lacking. We still could have had another goal or two.

And remember no Pulisic, no Brooks, no Pefok even on the roster. If we stay healthy we could be formidable.

Reaction Score
Steffen: Poor play/reactions on the goal then didn’t have much to do the rest of the game. As others have said, Turner should be #1 based on his shot stopping alone.

A Rob: Works extremely hard, good defensively and good pressure, just couldn’t pick out the final ball today, he favors his left a little too much where it becomes predictable.

Richards/M Rob: Didn’t have much to do like Steffen, but either/both were at fault for the goal, positioning was suspect. They didn’t have great chemistry together but it will come. Both have good recovery speed. Richards is good with the ball but lost too many headers for my liking. Us as a team didn’t win many to be fair.

Dest: What can ya say, our most dangerous and technical player plays in defense. That goal was tremendous on the weak peg. Does so much well. I know he may try to do much but whatever, he’s a step above most of his teammates. Hopefully when Puli/Reyna return they’ll develop some chemistry

Adams: I love him. He breaks up so much, offers a calming presence on the ball, and spreads the field really well. doesn’t put a foot wrong much at all.

Weston: I don’t know why/how some of the pundits on twitter are saying he had a great game. He does work hard and get in good positions, but his final ball is more often than not poor, his touch is also often poor, and his passing leaves a lot to be desired. He doesn’t work as hard defensively as he has in the past and can leave the team caught out a lot.

Musah: Similar to Dest. Guess that shows the development of academies here in the US. So sure on the ball, quick thinking, shields players off tremendously. Like Dest can get caught doing too much, but for the next decade+ of him and Adams in the midfield, i’m excited.

Aaronson: Works extremely hard and has good technique plus skill. Although I have been a bit disappointed in his delivery both on set pieces and in the final third. But pretty much always makes the right play and takes on the defenders.

Weah: Love how direct he is. Fast, strong and picks out pass well. Doesn’t try to do too much. Has a rocket of a right foot as well. I would love to try him out at Striker at some point, he offers the pace that no others in our pool do at that position.

Pepi: I love the kids upside and nose for goal, but he doesn’t offer much in way of connecting play or aerial threat, which I though he would. He just disappears a lot. I think putting Hoppe in at the 9 around the 65th would’ve been a good call. He likes to receive the ball and drive at defenders, and I think we needed that tonight.

Just not his game tbh.

Reaction Score
Problem is we don’t have a true 10. US is easy to beat - funnel them down the middle as they don’t have guys who can make plays in small spaces.

Funny thing when Gregg might be coaching for his job he rolls out a very Euro lineup. I prob would have gone with Zimmerman with Richards or Robinson in the back for some experience.

CR was putrid. Imagine if that breakaway was someone with average speed? It’s 2-2 and we’re having a different convo.

looking like Mexico/US/Canada with Panama maybe sneaking in. Can’t let up but we should be fine
Richards was definitely not “putrid”. And anyways that breakaway was caused by Miles’ soft pass. Good on Miles for recovering though.

Reaction Score
good write up. Agreed on Weston. Just not seeing it from him

Reaction Score
Miles recovered because the striker was 45 years old and running in quick sand. What if that’s Grealish?

Reaction Score
Miles recovered because the striker was 45 years old and running in quick sand. What if that’s Grealish?
No I agree, what i’m saying is that was caused by Miles in the first place, not Chris. The pass was left short and Chris was on his heels expecting a regularly weighted pass.

Reaction Score
Same page! Bad ball that should have been buried in the back of the net

Reaction Score
will anyone else be in SC for the Clemson game? USA Mexico is that Friday night.. would be a lot of fun to get together with the local AO chapter in either Anderson or Greenville. I think we're staying closer to Greenville but looks like Anderson is close to Clemson as well.

anyway - massive +3 last night.. lets get Pulisic and Reyna healthy for the November games and take the next step!

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Agree with @CardiacAndre7 on almost all of this.

I think Zimmerman is more reliable than Miles and is better in the air. Both are better than Brooks at this point. Richards seems invisible, I barely notice he is playing. Not sure if that is good or bad.

A. Robinson brings 2/3 of what Dest does on offense on the other side. Dest brings about 2/3 of what A. Robinson brings on defense. When Pulisic returns, he pairs pretty well with A Robinson. I'm a bit concerned with physicality on the right side. Dest and Reyna are tiny and we already get pushed around too much.

Musah brings quite a bit as an attacking mid and doesn't seem mistake prone. Not entirely sure what his best role is on this team.

McKennie: I liked his play much better in the final 2/3, but he still kills too many chances to attack by sending the ball back or making a sloppy pass. He's quick and can beat people, but it feels like he loses control and doesn't deliver the ball. He's young and hopefully the game slows down for him. He looks like he's in a hurry to get rid of the ball when he receives it. I'd rather play Reyna there and put Aaronson on the right side.

Aaronson. Tireless worker. Speed, skill, always looking to go forward. Huge asset to a team that far too often gets in an offensive rut. Best receiver and controller of the ball we have, he saves some horrible passes. I think his service on set pieces is certainly better than Acosta's, but it seems he isn't always seeing what his teammates see.

Weah: like his speed and instincts to go forward. Like Musah, not sure of his role, but I like the idea of trying him at Striker. I think he could be more of a Clint Dempsey style striker, holding in traffic. Pepi isn't going to do that, at least not now. I've seen little evidence he can do much with the ball at his feet.

Pepi: since he's one of our few tall guys, I hoped he'd be a threat in the air. He doesn't seem to be. We have so much speed and skill outside, we get regular crosses, but we have nobody who can do anything with them. McBride would score every game with these outside wingers and WBs.

Reaction Score
Agree with @CardiacAndre7 on almost all of this.

I think Zimmerman is more reliable than Miles and is better in the air. Both are better than Brooks at this point. Richards seems invisible, I barely notice he is playing. Not sure if that is good or bad.

A. Robinson brings 2/3 of what Dest does on offense on the other side. Dest brings about 2/3 of what A. Robinson brings on defense. When Pulisic returns, he pairs pretty well with A Robinson. I'm a bit concerned with physicality on the right side. Dest and Reyna are tiny and we already get pushed around too much.

Musah brings quite a bit as an attacking mid and doesn't seem mistake prone. Not entirely sure what his best role is on this team.

McKennie: I liked his play much better in the final 2/3, but he still kills too many chances to attack by sending the ball back or making a sloppy pass. He's quick and can beat people, but it feels like he loses control and doesn't deliver the ball. He's young and hopefully the game slows down for him. He looks like he's in a hurry to get rid of the ball when he receives it. I'd rather play Reyna there and put Aaronson on the right side.

Aaronson. Tireless worker. Speed, skill, always looking to go forward. Huge asset to a team that far too often gets in an offensive rut. Best receiver and controller of the ball we have, he saves some horrible passes. I think his service on set pieces is certainly better than Acosta's, but it seems he isn't always seeing what his teammates see.

Weah: like his speed and instincts to go forward. Like Musah, not sure of his role, but I like the idea of trying him at Striker. I think he could be more of a Clint Dempsey style striker, holding in traffic. Pepi isn't going to do that, at least not now. I've seen little evidence he can do much with the ball at his feet.

Pepi: since he's one of our few tall guys, I hoped he'd be a threat in the air. He doesn't seem to be. We have so much speed and skill outside, we get regular crosses, but we have nobody who can do anything with them. McBride would score every game with these outside wingers and WBs.
Agree with you on the defenders versus Brooks.

Reaction Score
Musah: Similar to Dest. Guess that shows the development of academies here in the US.
Can you elaborate on this? What do you mean?

I guess I'm caught up in this story I just read on ESPN about Villareal's academy in the USA. ESPN is lauding it and its clearly a pay-for-play scheme cooked up by one guy. Bayern Munich had a similar US Academy, GPS, until the FBI raided them for all sorts of misdeeds.

Reaction Score
Yeah, curious about that since Musah and Dest didn’t spend much if any time in the US growing up.

Reaction Score
Yeah against a better team that ball is in the back of the net. Hopefully they learn from that and don’t believe their own press clippings.

Reaction Score

I guess I'm caught up in this story I just read on ESPN about Villareal's academy in the USA. ESPN is lauding it and its clearly a pay-for-play scheme cooked up by one guy. Bayern Munich had a similar US Academy, GPS, until the FBI raided them for all sorts of misdeeds.

Neither of those guys came through American Academies.

There are a few that are pretty good at producing talent like FC Dallas and Sporting. But never of our best talent never set foot in an MLS Academy or were not there long enough to matter (Weah).

Reaction Score

I was taking a dig at the US academies that our 2 most technical players were developed in England and Holland.

Reaction Score
And because Miles is a rocket. He make up speed is very, very good. He is one of the few guys on the squad that could have covered up that mistake (admittedly his own).

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I like having a 10 an 8 and a 6 in the midfield.

If I trusted our backline against WC competition, I'd agree. As it stands I think GGG will have to (or should) alternate the formation based on how defensive the opponent plays. CR was a shell of there 2018 squad, or rather it was the same aged squad. They'll need new blood if they want to make a chase for the last spots. The two attacking mids was the right call last night, after giving away a lead. Adams won't be able to cover for Dest, Robinson, Musah and McKinnie against better attacking teams.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
Here are your (my) post October power rankings and positional locks (*). (Yes, barring injury and changes in form, we have a few more.) Striker is still wide open even if Pepi is the only one scoring. We thank a few more for applying and a few others moved up by not being here to balance the roster. Other than Striker and reserve CB's, I actually think the 23 is pretty much set. We are going to ride Dest, good and bad.

Pepi
Gioacchini
Pulisic*Reyna*
Arronson*Arronson*
McKennie*Arriola
Musah*
Adams*Acosta*
LletgetLletget
A. Robinson*M. Robinson*BrooksDest*
DestZimmermanReamYedlin
LongAcosta
Turner*
Steffen*
Horvath

Position DetailPosition RankPlayer1-23 RankChangeLast
LW1Pulisic11
RW1Reyna22
DM1Adams33
G1Turner4+711
LB1A. Robinson5+38
CB1M. Robinson6-15
RB1Dest7+29
AM1McKennie8-44
CB2Brooks9-27
DM2Acosta10-46
RB2Yedlin11-110
ST1Pepi12+416
ST2Gioacchini13-112
LW/RW2Arronson14+1731
RW3Arriola15-113
AM2Musah16+925
DM3Lletget17-114
G2Steffen1818
CB3Zimmerman19+221
ST3Sargent20-317
AM3Roldan21-219
RB3Cannon22+123
G3Horvath23+124
LW3Hoppe24+226
CB4Ream25-520
CB5Long26+430
RW4Weah27-1215
CB6Miazga28-622
RB4Moore29-128
ST5Dike30-129
G4Johnson31+334
DM4Yueill3232
RW5Morris3333
ST6Pefok34+135
ST7Zardes35-827
G6Guzan3636
G5Ochoa3737
ST8Altidore3838
AM4BusioNRNR
AM5WilliamsonNRNR
CB7RichardsNRNR
CB8McKenzieNRNR
CB9SandsNRNR
CB10KesslerNRNR
CB11PinesNRNR
LB3BelloNRNR
LB4VinesNRNR
LW4KonradNRNR
LW5LewisNRNR

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
Agree with you on the defenders versus Brooks.

I'm not quite there yet on Brooks/Zimmerman. No one has grabbed that spot yet and these ended up being easy games for the defense and yet Jamaica got a lot of chances. Mexico will tell a lot.

Reaction Score
Neither of those guys came through American Academies.

There are a few that are pretty good at producing talent like FC Dallas and Sporting. But never of our best talent never set foot in an MLS Academy or were not there long enough to matter (Weah).
90% of our best players in Europe played in the development academy league. That is saying something. Pulisic, Adams, McKennie, Reyna, all of them went through US soccer DA clubs

Reaction Score
I was taking a dig at the US academies that our 2 most technical players were developed in England and Holland.
Gotcha. Do they have more skills than Pulisic or Reyna though?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom