MNT Roster for March Friendlies | Page 4 | The Boneyard

MNT Roster for March Friendlies

Reaction Score
Gold cup is the first test but calling up Trapp and playing Zardes as a center striker are indefensible everytime.

Other than that I have no complaints about his approach so far.

I get that Zardes has been ineffective. But Trapp has looked pretty good this year. He goes forward and puts the ball deep into open areas leading to dangerous plays. He has shown some talent.

Reaction Score
1-1 after just 10 minutes in Houston. The back line of both teams are having issues.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I get that Zardes has been ineffective. But Trapp has looked pretty good this year. He goes forward and puts the ball deep into open areas leading to dangerous plays. He has shown some talent.

He's lost on defense and outclassed by lesser opponents. He will be worthless in qualifying.

Zardes touch is worse than Altidore's. Tonight's first goal is the exception.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
He's lost on defense and outclassed by lesser opponents. He will be worthless in qualifying.

Zardes touch is worse than Altidore's. Tonight's first goal is the exception.
Berhalter Loves him in that central striker/floater position
He's played better tonight with exception one bad touch in defensive third
Gonsalves looks a bit hesitant but that is expected
Nice to see Lewis get some burn tonight - for all the talent he has he has been an enigma
Trapp has been less than adequate tonight but had some better touches in the later portions of 2nd half
Both defenses were awful

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Gold cup is the first test but calling up Trapp and playing Zardes as a center striker are indefensible everytime.

Other than that I have no complaints about his approach so far.
Well not that I'm a Zardes fan, but we've scored 2 goals in the 2 games. Zardes scored 1 and assisted on the other. Not sure how that is ineffective. Seems defensible to me. At least for these two games.

Reaction Score

Wait till you see what happens when we play an actual good team.

Reaction Score
Well not that I'm a Zardes fan, but we've scored 2 goals in the 2 games. Zardes scored 1 and assisted on the other. Not sure how that is ineffective. Seems defensible to me. At least for these two games.

He’s probably the luckiest USMNT player ever. We need to do better at this position. He’s like the Jacob Peterson of the USMNT.

Reaction Score

That and the US offensive strategy seems to continue to use a holding central striker. Altidore's continued injury issues as he has a lot of wear and tear on hi 29 year-old body means that the USMNT needs a viable alternate whether it be Zardes, Morris, Wood, etc. Identifying that alterantive in these friendlies is OK with me. The lack of a back-up for Altidore on the US roster in 2014 was, in my opinion, Klinsmann's biggest mistake and likley cost the US an opportunity to go even further. Overall, Zardes was agressive in the offensive third and made some really good touches. The bad is that he's a liability in the defensive third. Both aspects were evident last night.

In addtion to very shaky backline, Horvath looked antsy playing the ball with his feet, especially with Chile's high press. Of course, some of the pases back to him did not help. With a high press, there is value (and risk avoidance) with just clearing the ball with authority instead of playing with it in the box. It's tough to play small ball in the back third when many of the players are still new to each other. The team and the coaches should have seen this issue early and adjusted. Horvath, for example, did not appear to be that nervious for his club's Champions League games.

Reaction Score
Zardes was active but he makes a high number of bad plays for every good one.

Trapp really steadied the team when he came in. He had one major screw up but in general he is a smart player and always seems to have solid, productive minutes.

Overall not a bad result with McKennie and Pulisic both being hurt. We still have not seen our A team. I think the new coach is trying to get as many players as possible to learn the system. As they learn it, they will help each other and eventually develop some chemistry.

You could see how experience helped Chile. That was a team with numerous veterans, who had played together for years, and it showed. Given that, it was a good night for the USA.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score

The assist was nice, no doubt about that. The goal was a complete fluke. If your a 9, you have to produce. Goals, assists, chances. He flubs way too many chances for a team with limited firepower in the first place. His touch is awful. When you see a striker producing goal at a clip of less than 1 for every 2 games, you need to find a new striker. This isn't basketball where the top scorer can come from any position. There are 2 or 3 spots on the field where you need to get most of your goals. Zardes is clogging one of those positions.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score

He's still better than Trapp but, it's clear he is too old and slow to cover the ground necessary for that role.

GB looks like he wants a 3 man triangle in the midfield. That's Adams, McKinne and Pulisic. We need more depth there as I'd prefer Pulisic be allowed to roam and play higher, while GB seems like he wants Adams at RB for now, and truth be told it might be an upgrade to Yedlin.

What I didn't like last night is that for long stretches it looked like we were playing a 4-1-1-4. Chile easily exploited the entire midfield by simply bypassing it. The back line was terrible but they were being overrun.

The bad giveaways made it worse. Things settled a bit with the 5 man back line but, we can't play that way.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Wait till you see what happens when we play an actual good team.
Like who? The reigning Copa America Champions?

Dude, forget good teams. We first need to be able to beat crappy CONCACAF teams. Then we can worry about good teams.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
He’s probably the luckiest USMNT player ever. We need to do better at this position. He’s like the Jacob Peterson of the USMNT.
Some people make their luck.

But I agree, we need to do better. However, if people are gonna whine and complain about his play, don't do it right after he does a decent job.

If you want to whine and complain do it about Miazga and Gonzalez. Or Ream and Yedlin. Or Horvath. Someone who stunk it up.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
That and the US offensive strategy seems to continue to use a holding central striker. Altidore's continued injury issues as he has a lot of wear and tear on hi 29 year-old body means that the USMNT needs a viable alternate whether it be Zardes, Morris, Wood, etc. Identifying that alterantive in these friendlies is OK with me. The lack of a back-up for Altidore on the US roster in 2014 was, in my opinion, Klinsmann's biggest mistake and likley cost the US an opportunity to go even further. Overall, Zardes was agressive in the offensive third and made some really good touches. The bad is that he's a liability in the defensive third. Both aspects were evident last night.

In addtion to very shaky backline, Horvath looked antsy playing the ball with his feet, especially with Chile's high press. Of course, some of the pases back to him did not help. With a high press, there is value (and risk avoidance) with just clearing the ball with authority instead of playing with it in the box. It's tough to play small ball in the back third when many of the players are still new to each other. The team and the coaches should have seen this issue early and adjusted. Horvath, for example, did not appear to be that nervious for his club's Champions League games.
Agree with most of that, but if you're putting a putting a Striker on for his defensive ability, we got way bigger problems. I really don't want my Striker in my defensive 3rd except for like corners and FK's. And then hopefully because he can head the ball. But I'm not even gonna worry about that if he can score.

Reaction Score
Berhalter Loves him in that central striker/floater position
He's played better tonight with exception one bad touch in defensive third
Gonsalves looks a bit hesitant but that is expected
Nice to see Lewis get some burn tonight - for all the talent he has he has been an enigma
Trapp has been less than adequate tonight but had some better touches in the later portions of 2nd half
Both defenses were awful

Again.

Why are we calling in garbage like Lewis who doesn’t even start for NYCFC and then not calling in players who are subs fir vastly superior European clubs saying that they aren’t getting called in because they don’t start.

Does not compute.
Like who? The reigning Copa America Champions?

Dude, forget good teams. We first need to be able to beat crappy CONCACAF teams. Then we can worry about good teams.

Did Diego Rubio play for that team? Was that the same team who won Copa?

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
The assist was nice, no doubt about that. The goal was a complete fluke. If your a 9, you have to produce. Goals, assists, chances.
Well a goal and assist IS producing.

He flubs way too many chances for a team with limited firepower in the first place. His touch is awful.
Except for this past two games his touch has been much better. Granted I've said he has a donkey touch. But NOT these last two games.

When you see a striker producing goal at a clip of less than 1 for every 2 games, you need to find a new striker.
Yea, well he's been playing really well lately. 20 goals in 36 games last year. And 2 in 3 this year. That meets your criteria.

Who you want? Altidore, Wood, Sargent, Novakovich? Ain't none of them scoring at that rate right now.

I can understand you're not taken with him, I'm not either. But to whine and complain about him right after he does a pretty good job, is just stupid.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Did Diego Rubio play for that team? Was that the same team who won Copa?
It was Chile, and until somebody beats them they're the reigning champs. Who exactly do you want to play?

Reaction Score
It was Chile, and until somebody beats them they're the reigning champs. Who exactly do you want to play?

Because it’s not the same team. So saying that they are the reigning champs doesn’t really carry any weight.

Reaction Score
So. Mexico beat Chile 3-1 and beat Paraguay 4-2. Two respectable wins, albeit they were friendlies.

They are looking fairly productive with Tata Martino. I think it’s funny that people still expect the US to win the Gold Cup this summer.

Reaction Score
Agree with most of that, but if you're putting a putting a Striker on for his defensive ability, we got way bigger problems. I really don't want my Striker in my defensive 3rd except for like corners and FK's. And then hopefully because he can head the ball. But I'm not even gonna worry about that if he can score.

On a top tier natioanl team, absolutely. On the USMNT with the team's historic defiencies on defense, its all-hands on deck.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
Well a goal and assist IS producing.

Except for this past two games his touch has been much better. Granted I've said he has a donkey touch. But NOT these last two games.

Yea, well he's been playing really well lately. 20 goals in 36 games last year. And 2 in 3 this year. That meets your criteria.

Who you want? Altidore, Wood, Sargent, Novakovich? Ain't none of them scoring at that rate right now.

I can understand you're not taken with him, I'm not either. But to whine and complain about him right after he does a pretty good job, is just stupid.

The USMNT has a habit of making spots tenured for life. Best to move on from guys who aren't going to cut it.

Reaction Score
Chile didn't qualify for the WC. Sure, reigning Copa champs but their golden era is done.
I'm reserving judgment for when we play a real team and field our best players. Until then, I can't subjectd myself to a team with Trapp or Bradley in the middle of the field

Reaction Score
Chile didn't qualify for the WC. Sure, reigning Copa champs but their golden era is done.
I'm reserving judgment for when we play a real team and field our best players. Until then, I can't subject myself to a team with Trapp or Bradley in the middle of the field

Chile's current generation may be currently reaching their upper limits; but, they are historically strong with 9 World Cup appearances out of a tough group, CONMEBOL, which they helped create, and have advanced past into the Round of 16 on 5 occasions with a 3rd Place Finish, each time losing to Brazil. Yes, they did not make it to the 2018 Cup; but, neither did the Netherlands (and the US) and no one, even looking at their programs current struggles, would say that The Orange are a poor program.

As for last night, Chile was a good test for the US as they are a tactically aggressive team used to play in big games with some serious talent. The US showed some promise and some glaring weaknesses. The hope is the coaches and players can adjust.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Because it’s not the same team. So saying that they are the reigning champs doesn’t really carry any weight.
Well nobody is the same team. They are still the reigning champ. Again who do you want them to play?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom