MLS pulling out of the US Open Cup | The Boneyard

MLS pulling out of the US Open Cup

Reaction Score

Probably under pressure from Apple to provide more content or something, MLS will not participating for the foreseeable future. This of course was met with anger from MLS fans pretty much universally.

MLS says that the tournament isn't professional enough. This basically guarantees that a lower division USL team will win this.

MLS tried to enter it's "MLS Next" teams but the Federation rejected the proposal.

My analysis is that this is just more MLS Don Garber f-ckery. For one, MLS is not happy about the Federation decoupling the National Teams TV rights with MLS. The Federation no longer uses MLS's Soccer United Marketing as their promoter. This hurt MLS badly when negotiating the current media deal. USL which was formerly an MLS vassal state has now just about become a competitor. So MLS playing these teams is seen as only benefitting the USL.

We know that the whole "professionalism" angle was bunk. For years MLS teams have trotted B and C lineups for these early matches. Sometimes even playing kids from Academies. That's not materially any different than MLS Next.

This is just the latest example of how MLS under its current leadership is just simply bad for US Soccer. Not only are we not doing solidarity payments to incentivize and compensate small clubs to develop talent but they are depriving the game in this country of a proper cup competition.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Old news. MLS had to walk it back. MLS clubs will be in the US Open Cup.

Reaction Score
Old news. MLS had to walk it back. MLS clubs will be in the US Open Cup.

Show the evidence.

If so, then it will be because they were forced to. Which I am totally fine with.

I would burn that league to the ground and excommunicate the jerks who run it less than a second if I could. They are holding the game back.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Show the evidence.

If so, then it will be because they were forced to. Which I am totally fine with.

I would burn that league to the ground and excommunicate the jerks who run it less than a second if I could. They are holding the game back.
It’s been all over ESPNFC. USSF threatened to take away their Tier 1 status.

Reaction Score
It’s been all over ESPNFC. USSF threatened to take away their Tier 1 status.
It’s still a big self inflicted black eye for a league that should be euthanized so that we can start over.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom