MLB sign stealing | The Boneyard

MLB sign stealing

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
Wow...full year suspension for manager and GM. Pretty harsh. Odd ruling....while the league admits the sign stealing was player driven, no players were suspended.

Seems a shame because the Astro's championship is tainted now and they didn't really need to cheat. I wonder what will happen with the Red Sox now?

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Wow...full year suspension for manager and GM. Pretty harsh. Odd ruling....while the league admits the sign stealing was player driven, no players were suspended.

Seems a shame because the Astro's championship is tainted now and they didn't really need to cheat. I wonder what will happen with the Red Sox now?

Follow up: Astros have fire GM Luhnow and manager Hinch.

As to Cora, he should be the next one to be unemployed.

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
So they cheated and they got a year suspension. I guess that’s fair (?).

But the thing I don’t understand is that Pete Rose didn’t cheat and he’s banned for life.

Reaction Score

But the thing I don’t understand is that Pete Rose didn’t cheat and he’s banned for life.
Gambling while managing.

Reaction Score
I'm a long time Sox fan and find this embarrassing. Cora needs to go. Like others, I hope that Springer was not involved.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score

Kennisaw Mountain Landis was made commissioner as a direct result of the Black Sox scandal and one of his first decrees had to do with gambling while being a part of the on-field game. As manager, Rose had a direct impact on the game and bet primarily on games started by his top two starters. He compromised the integrity of the game by putting his wager over the potential well being of his players.

That said, it's semantics. Last time I was there, Rose was all over the museum and he is recognized all over Cooperstown. Like the Black Sox, everyone who cares to know, does. He just doesn't have a bronze plaque in the Hall, itself. So what? Does he really want to be a part of a club that puts Harold Baines' numbers on par with his accomplishments (only half joking.)?

Last edited:

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
Interesting article on the decision. To me it felt like the penalty was appropriate, but it appears baseball executives don't agree.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Interesting article on the decision. To me it felt like the penalty was appropriate, but it appears baseball executives don't agree.

Best part of the article comes from someone in the game.

"...How many owners in baseball would trade $5 million, four high draft picks and the firing of their GM and manager in exchange for a World Series title?

Twenty-five? Twenty-eight? All 30? "I don't know that I would," one team president said, "but I don't know that I wouldn't."

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
Kennisaw Mountain Landis was made commissioner as a direct result of the Black Sox scandal and one of his first decrees had to do with gambling while being a part of the on-field game. As manager, Rose had a direct impact on the game and bet primarily on games started by his top two starters. He compromised the integrity of the game by putting his wager over the potential well being of his players.

That said, it's semantics. Last time I was there, Rose was all over the museum and he is recognized all over Cooperstown. Like the Black Sox, everyone who cares to know, does. He just doesn't have a bronze plaque in the Hall, itself. So what? Does he really want to be a part of a club that puts Harold Baines' numbers on par with his accomplishments (only half joking.)?
I've seen some shows about Rose. Every one of them said he bet only on American League games. I've never heard that he gambled on games he managed. If true, that's a different situation.

Reaction Score
I've seen some shows about Rose. Every one of them said he bet only on American League games. I've never heard that he gambled on games he managed. If true, that's a different situation.

Rose admitted that he bet on his team, but only to win. I’ve never heard anyone say that he only bet on American League games.

Husky25

Reaction Score
The Googles say so, but they are only the messenger.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom