MLB launches wood bat league for draft eligible prospects(ESPN) | The Boneyard

MLB launches wood bat league for draft eligible prospects(ESPN)

Reaction Score

Interesting league, grows the game of baseball which is great, all for it! Gives players that aren’t in the College World Series a chance to shine. Teams rosters r going to be changing a lot with players getting drafted and signed. Unsigned players will be “fillers” for teams that lose players. One thing interesting to note is that this may compete with the Cape League

Reaction Score

Interesting league, grows the game of baseball which is great, all for it! Gives players that aren’t in the College World Series a chance to shine. Teams rosters r going to be changing a lot with players getting drafted and signed. Unsigned players will be “fillers” for teams that lose players. One thing interesting to note is that this may compete with the Cape League

I disagree. To me it is simply another summer ball wooden bat league that MLB is "sponsoring". It is a partial substitute that MLB is offering to cover for their destruction of minor league short season A ball and the rookie minor leagues. The destruction of these leagues is a much bigger minus than the creation of another summer ball league that could potentially steal talent from top summer ball leagues such as the Cape Cod League. That of course, one assumes that MLB knows what it is doing, and in terms of growing the game, I don't think they do. Just because MLB says this league will be attractive and successful does not make it so.

MLB is also likely to face many lawsuits from towns and teams that suddenly have their investment wiped out from the destruction of the lower minor leagues. This league is probably something of an attempt to try to wriggle out of some of these lawsuits.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
An Atlantic League team took the place of the Trenton Thunder in the Eastern League. MLB is set to mess up the minors, just as many sports were cut at the collegiate level. Horrible for minor leagues and summer collegiate leagues.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69
Top Bottom