Mizzou Away Game Travel Plans | The Boneyard

Mizzou Away Game Travel Plans

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Hello BYers

@agaaaymilkman and myself booked our flights tonight and will be heading out to watch the Huskies take on Mizzou! We are going to go to the Chiefs/Broncos game on Thursday September 17 and wanted to see if any other people are making the trip and what your plans are for the game(s)? Could be fun to organize a large tailgate for the Husky fans.

If you're making the trip out or have questions regarding the trip comment below and if we have enough numbers I'll put together a tailgate of some sort. Go Huskies!

cttxus

The CT-TX-US Connection: Historic, Alive and Well
Reaction Score
Hoping to nail down a couple more client meetings to justify a business trip to KC, Jefferson City and St. Louis next Wed-Fri. If so, I'll be buying my ticket to the game immediately after. Looks like some good single tix on the visitors side and parking passes were still available as of last night. Noticed there's not a single hotel room available withing 24 miles of Columbia so it probably means booking a room at some 2 star, roadside motel a 30-45 min drive from Columbia, but hey. Who's going to the game so far, and what are the pre-game plans, if any? Happy to contribute if things work out as planned.

Reaction Score
We're flying out on Thursday and staying in a hotel about a mile from the stadium. If there's a tailgate or a post-game event, happy to contribute.

RedSoloCup

2 golf tournaments...
Reaction Score
will be out working until Friday afternoon then looking for any national flag blue and white that will drink with me.. I'm rocking the extended stay for a few days... I may try to assemble a morning spread and some ice cold ones for saturday... will also see if the HuskyHQ is in town...

Reaction Score
Hello BYers

@agaaaymilkman and myself booked our flights tonight and will be heading out to watch the Huskies take on Mizzou! We are going to go to the Chiefs/Broncos game on Thursday September 17 and wanted to see if any other people are making the trip and what your plans are for the game(s)? Could be fun to organize a large tailgate for the Husky fans.

If you're making the trip out or have questions regarding the trip comment below and if we have enough numbers I'll put together a tailgate of some sort. Go Huskies!

My friend and I will be driving up from Oklahoma City to the Game.... Here is hoping for an upset :)

cttxus

Reaction Score
To all BYers attending the Mizzou game next weekend, I just purchased my ticket; Section J, Row 6, and I'm now looking at buying a parking pass. The lots adjacent to the field which are near the visitors' side of the stadium and inside all the surrounding streets are A, C and D, no more that a couple hundred feet away.

I'm happy to buy a pass for one of those lots but only if some of my fellow BYers want to get together for some pre-game or half time festivities because the passes range from $125-$167! If not, I'll buy a $50 pass at one of the remote lots and hoof it to the stadium from there. Let me know ASAP if you;re interested in getting together. I'm planning to be parked by no later than 9am.

BTW, I can't linger long after the game. I have to catch a 5:30p flight out of St. Louis which is a 2 hr drive from Columbia.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
Their student section looks pretty cool - it's one entire sideline, lower level.

Reaction Score
Will our cheerleaders be going to support our 2-0 team? You know, like every other school? I'll be watching the sidelines Warde. Support football.

Reaction Score
We talked to the cheerleaders as they left the stadium this afternoon. They said they're not going. We asked if we could borrow the U-C-O-N-N letters and bring them to the game in their absence. Nope.

Reaction Score
We talked to the cheerleaders as they left the stadium this afternoon. They said they're not going. We asked if we could borrow the U-C-O-N-N letters and bring them to the game in their absence. Nope.

Textbook UConn. The football team will be playing in front of 140,000 fans at Missouri and BYU and don't send anyone to support them or represent the UConn brand. Wonder why people think we don't take football seriously. Rinse. Repeat.

Reaction Score
Glad to see others are travelling as well! Flying into KC thursday, hoping to get to Chiefs Broncos and Sporting Kc on Friday.

11am start is tough, anyone else making the day of game trip from Kansas City?

Drew

Reaction Score
To all BYers attending the Mizzou game next weekend, I just purchased my ticket; Section J, Row 6, and I'm now looking at buying a parking pass. The lots adjacent to the field which are near the visitors' side of the stadium and inside all the surrounding streets are A, C and D, no more that a couple hundred feet away.

I'm happy to buy a pass for one of those lots but only if some of my fellow BYers want to get together for some pre-game or half time festivities because the passes range from $125-$167! If not, I'll buy a $50 pass at one of the remote lots and hoof it to the stadium from there. Let me know ASAP if you;re interested in getting together. I'm planning to be parked by no later than 9am.

BTW, I can't linger long after the game. I have to catch a 5:30p flight out of St. Louis which is a 2 hr drive from Columbia.

@agaaaymilkman and I are one section over 1 row in front of you. Section I row 5. I'm sure we'll run into each other when all the other Mizzou fans are sitting on their hands and we're up celebrating ;)

cttxus

Reaction Score
@agaaaymilkman and I are one section over 1 row in front of you. Section I row 5. I'm sure we'll run into each other when all the other Mizzou fans are sitting on their hands and we're up celebrating ;)
Great, I'll look for you guys. I'll be the "older looking (but not too trail broken) guy" across from you with grey hair popping out from under his national flag blue Husky logo hat and blue UCONN logo'd, Columbia short sleeved shirt. Only 5 days exactly until kick off!

Drew

Reaction Score
Hello to all-

I just spoke with the ticket office and this is what they were able to tell me:

Parking Garages are free. This might be easier for a lot of us to do instead of trying to find a lot all together and just meet up at a bar beforehand. If everyone wants to park in a garage for free and then meet at Harpo's (pretty famous Mizzou bar) I could see that being an ideal tailgate method. It is about a mile from the bar to the stadium. Anyone interested?

cttxus

Reaction Score
Hello to all-

I just spoke with the ticket office and this is what they were able to tell me:

Parking Garages are free. This might be easier for a lot of us to do instead of trying to find a lot all together and just meet up at a bar beforehand. If everyone wants to park in a garage for free and then meet at Harpo's (pretty famous Mizzou bar) I could see that being an ideal tailgate method. It is about a mile from the bar to the stadium. Anyone interested?
Sounds good to me although Harpo's website says they don't open until 11am on Saturdays. Maybe they open earlier on game days? I think we may want to find another spot that we know opens at least by 9am. BTW, I'll have a full size rental car that seats 5, and I have an A Lot parking pass. A Lot is adjacent to the stadium on the visitors' side. So, depending on how far those free parking garages are from the field, I'm happy to give up to 4 people a ride to the stadium after our "tailgate", wherever it is.

31GuardTrap

Bringing back the basics
Reaction Score
Anyone want to fly me out there?
Figured I would ask. You never know.

Drew

Reaction Score
Anyone want to fly me out there?
Figured I would ask. You never know.

if you buy 1 way i'll throw $20 towards your return trip from COU

31GuardTrap

Bringing back the basics
Reaction Score
You rock...but sadly.....scheduling has me staying in CT. Thanks for the thought. I just grabbed tix for the Temple game though, so that is locked in !

cttxus

Reaction Score
We're flying out on Thursday and staying in a hotel about a mile from the stadium. If there's a tailgate or a post-game event, happy to contribute.

uconnkelly-Does your hotel have a bar, and if so, do you know if it opens (or can be persuaded to open) by 8-9am? It seems all the bars around campus don't open until 11am (CT) which is no good for a pre-game tailgate since that's kick off time. Maybe we'll find one that opens earlier but, as a back up plan, we can still meet up in A Lot where I have a parking pass and bring in food and beverages as desired. Lot A is literally adjacent to the visitors' (NW) side of the stadium.

Drew

Reaction Score
I think A Lot is the way to go. @cttxus do you have any sort of item that we will be able to use to identify your tailgate?

Reaction Score
Put my money where my mouth is, for once. Got 2 tickets in Section D Row 5, wife was more enthusiastic about the 750 mile ride when I was talking about it, more so than now have booked it. :confused: Also, saw info on parking and will try and get there early for free parking or one of the $15 lots. Couldn't find rooms locally so got room in Jeff. City. Got a new hat with new Husky, like the green eyes.
Last road trip from New Orleans was Vandy and that sure ended badly, have an ok feeling about this one. We're rep'n the classes of 1968/69 (wife also alum), hope to see a good turnout. Of all the weekends, UConn football is here in New Orleans the week I'll be back in Connecticut, so may be only game I see this year live.

cttxus

Reaction Score
I think A Lot is the way to go. @cttxus do you have any sort of item that we will be able to use to identify your tailgate?
Options were a bit limited since I'll be on a business trip with no checked bags so I decided to order the following UConn balloons from the Coop to be delivered overnight. I'll blow a few of them up and fly them over my rental car in A Lot, and I'll keep a few in reserve just in case the natives get aggressive. BTW, I plan to be parked by around 9am unless anyone thinks we should start earlier, and I just packed the string ;).

38920.154-2T.jpg

Now, who's bringing the food and beverages? Not sure what anyone wants to eat so I was thinking of picking up some breakfast burritos for myself from one of the two Taco Bells near campus, one of which is just north of the stadium on the main drag (N. Providence Rd/Hwy 163) and E. Stewart off I-70. I was going to pair those :cool: with either some cold brews or Bloody Maries. Someone would just need to pick up a cheap Styrofoam cooler and a bag of ice for the brews. All things considered, that might be the best way to go unless anyone wants to go to the local liquor and grocery store for the required Bloody Mary (0r other) supplies.

Reaction Score
Welcome U-Conn fans! You will find that Columbia is one of the most consummate college towns in the country; as noted by Southern Living Magazine in 2014, as being named one of best college towns. Columbia also named as one of the best places to live in many publications and lists.

Most of the best places in Columbia on football weekends are in downtown Columbia (called The District). Downtown is right next to campus and easy walking distance to Faurot Field (The ZOU); a good suggestion for out of town visitors is to park downtown in one of parking garages on game day (more on parking and tailgating later). Downtown’s best bets include: Harpo's (called one of the best college bars in the country by many lists; named #1 by The Bleacher Report in August, 2014); Booche's (old time pool hall and bar; named in USA Today as having one of the best burgers in the country); Shakespeare’s Pizza (name the best pizza and college hangout in the country in 2010 by ABC Good Morning America); Flat Branch (brew pub, great food, nice patio); Shiloh (cold beer, pub food, hot waitresses). Other good places downtown: Bengal’s (pub food, outside game day tent in the parking lot); Heidelberg (good pub food, best tenderloin sandwich around); Campus Bar and Grill, Field House, Willies (all good college bars); Quinton’s bar and grill (best sandwich selection in town) has a huge multilevel outdoor deck area-2-4 stories up- with the best view of campus and downtown; Blu also has a nice patio; Sycamore, Addison’s, (and Blu) Mackenzie’s Prime Steaks, Tellers and The Eleven Eleven (on the 8th floor) at new Broadway (Double Tree Hotel) are downtown restaurants/great places for a nice dinner/drinks on Friday or Saturday nights; and for late evening martini’s, The Vault (basement of the restored boutique Tiger Hotel) has been restored back to a 1920’s speakeasy . Friday night before game day is pretty crazy downtown; marching Mizzou makes it rounds between different bars also

9th Street (downtown) has been named one of top university streets in the country in several publications. Located on 9th Street: Heidelberg, Campus Bar, Quinton’s Shakespeare’s, Tiger Spirit (Tiger gear); Kaldi’s, Panera and Lakota coffee houses; Booche’s; The Blue Note (one of top live music small venues in the country); Sparky’s homemade ice cream. Downtown Columbia is also home of numerous boutique shops and over 15 art galleries/ North Village Art District. Sure there are other great restaurants and clubs/bars outside of downtown in Columbia, but the downtown area is the best place for first time visitors to explore; especially with its proximity to campus/Faurot Field.

Leaving downtown be sure and walk south down 8th or 9th streets to campus (going to Faurot Field) and to the “Quad”. On the Quad is where you will find the oldest buildings (called the red campus) on the Mizzou campus; found on the Quad is the most famous symbol of Mizzou, The Columns. The 6 Columns are what are left from a fire in 1892 that destroyed Academic Hall. Many traditions of Mizzou surround The Columns (Freshmen and Senior walk) and The Columns were also the backdrop for Mizzou’s record setting attendance for ESPN’s College Game Day in 2010 (Mizzou went on to beat #1 OU that evening!). Many fans park downtown on game day-it is a nice walk south from downtown, through the Quad/campus, through Greek Town (Mizzou has one of the largest fraternity and sorority systems in the country) and on to the stadium (a little over a mile walk; around a 20-25 minutes from downtown to the stadium).

Faurot Field is named after legendary Mizzou Football Coach and Athletic Director, Don Faurot. Coach Faurot is credited with being the inventor of the Spilt T/option formation in the 1940’s. Faurot Field is located on the far south end of campus in athletic complex area called “The Sports Park at Mizzou”. Almost all of Mizzou’s sports facilities are located in this area. The Audrey Walton Soccer and Track facility is called one of best in the nation. And Mizzou Arena has been called the best on-campus college basketball arenas in the country also. As an FYI, “Mizzou” is short for: Missouri State University (the official name of University of Missouri for many years; early 1900’s athletic teams had MSU on their jerseys).

Mizzou is a big tailgate school; back in the 1980-90’s when football was so bad, tailgating became “the major reason” to attend games. It should be noted that through the 14 year span of under .500 records, a core fan base of about 45,000 stuck it out. Some of us old timers have sat through a lot of really bad football through the years and we are really enjoying Mizzou resurgence and move to the SEC! Mizzou was picked by several publications in 2010 as the best overall game day experience in the old big (bevo) 12 conference. The majority of the major tailgating areas are within comfortable walking distance to Faurot Field. All the lots around Faurot Field are restricted donor lots. There is non-donor parking in the campus garages and downtown parking garages (no grilling in any parking garage), the fraternities along Providence Rd, also sell parking in their yards/lots and also parking is permitted along certain stretches of Stadium Blvd. and Providence Rd. (Faurot Field is at the intersection of Stadium Blvd and Providence Rd.). Visiting fans will be welcomed at most tailgating areas for a few beers, food and respectful football talk. Drinking is allowed in the Mizzou's tailgate areas; just use common sense with walking around with open containers (also no kegs are allowed). Also be for warned the Mizzou and Columbia Police departments have no tolerance for drinking and driving. (i.e. the Mizzou athletic department’s largest donor got a DWI from the Mizzou Police a few years ago). Columbia/Boone County has the reputation for being the worst place in the state to get a DWI/most patrolled city in the state.

The Tiger Walk game day tradition has become a fan favorite and it takes place approximately two hours and 15 minutes prior to kickoff. The Tiger Walk gives fans a chance to welcome the team and coaches as they walk from the football complex, cross the Tiger Walk Bridge, spanning Providence Road, and walk down behind the stadium to their game day locker room.

Another game day tradition, about 35 minutes before kickoff, is when the Marching Mizzou, the beautiful Golden Girls-Mizzou’s award winning dance squad (and the Mizzou cheer squads and Truman the Tiger) march from their staging area at the Hearnes Center into the stadium area to get ready for their pregame performance. Fans line Mick Diver Drive (east side of Faurot) to cheer the band and sing the Mizzou fight songs. The Marching Mizzou Pregame Show is a not to miss Mizzou tradition. The 300+ member band has a very traditional pregame show that is unchanged in years with elements that include: the Missouri Waltz, singing of the alma matter-Old Missouri, and the Flip Tiger formation with the Mizzou fight songs: "Every True Son" and "Fight, Tigers".

At Faurot Field during the game, U-Conn fans will quickly learn about the MIZ-ZOU cheer and ROTC cannon which is shot when the Tigers enter the field before kickoff and after every score-which we hope happens quite frequency against the U-Conn defense! U-Conn fans will also witness the whole crowd swaying to the Missouri Waltz between the 3rd and 4th quarters. On the North end of Faurot Field is the historic rock “M”. The traditional block “M,” carved from stone by the freshman class in 1927, guards the stadium’s north end zone and gives Faurot Field one of the more unique landmarks around the country. Each fall the new freshmen class paints the “M” as a part of freshman week. And a tradition on senior day for the football team is for senior members of the team grab a rock from the “M” after the game to remember their career at Mizzou.

Mizzou is a tradition rich school and we welcome visiting fans to Columbia. We hope you enjoy your trip, but go home disappointed with score!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom