Mitchell's star power now includes NCAA 3-point record | The Boneyard

Mitchell's star power now includes NCAA 3-point record

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
images

Reaction Score
KML will always be the best 3 pt shooter in NCAA history! She missed a few games her Junior year because of injury. She took her shots in the flow of the offense, had a higher shooting percentage and was clutch in the big games! Sorry Kelsey and this will always be my opinion,KML is the greatest!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Safe to say Ohio State will not be in Uconns Bracket this year since FF is in Columbus.

Purple Stein

I like to sim things.
Reaction Score
150 people in the crowd? What does the budget sheet look like for THAT tournament?

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Congratulations to Kelsey Mitchell. The all time record for 3-point shooting is quite an achievement.

KML took 4 years to get to 398. It only took her 890 attempts. Mitchell had 368 on 965 attempts thru the end of her junior year. KML obviously shot at a much better %. Having said that, there is no denying Mitchell has the new record. Of course if KML had taken more attempts, she would have had more makes, but the fact that she played at UCONN, played within the offense, had better teammates, and therefore shot less, does not lessen Kelsey's accomplishment.

Even tho most of us are UCONN fans first and foremost, I think we can acknowledge a great accomplishment, even when it eclipses a record set by one of our own greats... :)

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Congrats to Mitchell-it's a remarkable accomplishment. She has a great chance to eclipse 500 and shatter the men's record too. She's off to a great start this year and will be on a short list for NPOY.

Worth noting is that Samuelson will also beat KML's record if she knocks down over 100 triples this year and next. I don't think she has a shot to catch Mitchell but UCONN could have #2 and #3 all time.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
Worth noting is that Samuelson will also beat KML's record if she knocks down over 100 triples this year and next.

UConn fans reaction: Meh. :cool:

Reaction Score
Congratulations to Kelsey Mitchell. The all time record for 3-point shooting is quite an achievement.

KML took 4 years to get to 398. It only took her 890 attempts. Mitchell had 368 on 965 attempts thru the end of her junior year. KML obviously shot at a much better %. Having said that, there is no denying Mitchell has the new record. Of course if KML had taken more attempts, she would have had more makes, but the fact that she played at UCONN, played within the offense, had better teammates, and therefore shot less, does not lessen Kelsey's accomplishment.

Even tho most of us are UCONN fans first and foremost, I think we can acknowledge a great accomplishment, even when it eclipses a record set by one of our own greats... :)

Agreed. We shouldn't forget KML missed 12 games her junior year due to illness and the elbow injury. Would likely have had 30+ more makes. But Mitchell would nonetheless have passed her when all was said and done.

Reaction Score

KML also played less minutes but yes congratulations on passing as Ali would say The Greatest!

HGN

Reaction Score
Congrats to Mitchell. A great accomplishment by any player , male or female.
Each to their own. But KML did her record in the flow of the game while winning a couple of NC's. Thus, when you shoot 3's is just as important as how many you make.

JMHO.

Reaction Score
Congrats to Mitchell-it's a remarkable accomplishment. She has a great chance to eclipse 500 and shatter the men's record too. She's off to a great start this year and will be on a short list for NPOY.

Worth noting is that Samuelson will also beat KML's record if she knocks down over 100 triples this year and next. I don't think she has a shot to catch Mitchell but UCONN could have #2 and #3 all time.
I don't necessarily see Mitchell as a legitimate NPOY candidate because I have always thought she was a "Me first" type of player for OSU. Is she talented? Yes but it appears that she's more concerned in her stats than she is about what is in the best interest of her team.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I don't necessarily see Mitchell as a legitimate NPOY candidate because I have always thought she was a "Me first" type of player for OSU. Is she talented? Yes but it appears that she's more concerned in her stats than she is about what is in the best interest of her team.

I couldn't disagree more. Mitchell's high number of shots are due to the way Ohio State's offense is set up, she's never struck me as a selfish player or a "me first" player. She's averaging 4+ assists per game so far and has nearly a 2:1 A/TO ratio. She doesn't take bad shots that are out of system or forced. Her situation is similar to Tina Charles' in NY. Tina is a high volume shooter in the W and shoots a low percentage for a post player, but her taking so many shots is a faction of her team needing her to rather than her being a selfish player. Same situation with Mitchell. And for her career, Mitchell has shot 43.4% from the floor and 38% from deep. Both are very respectable, especially when you consider how many shots she takes. This year she's shooting 53% from the floor and 49% from deep.

Based on her body language and style of play, I don't think Mitchell would have any issue taking on a smaller role if that's what the team needed from her to win.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
150 people in the crowd? What does the budget sheet look like for THAT tournament?

I was there the day before. It was rather sad to see how few people were there. I know it was Thanksgiving Day, but still.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I think Kaleena was the best combination of hight percentage and volume.

Kudos also to Laurie Koehn, the record-holder prior to Kaleena. She has a video on YouTube in which she's practicing. I'm not sure of the exact number, but I think she made about 143 of 150.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wilson

Top Bottom