Mitchell Update | The Boneyard

Mitchell Update

Status
Not open for further replies.

StepbackCity

I like winning
Reaction Score

Under the most intriguing recruitment section:
“It has to be Tre Mitchell. The senior at Woodstock (Conn.) Academy declined to speak about any schools involved, saying he didn't want to forget anybody. I have no doubt that he has some he likes, but in addition to him not talking about any specific programs, from asking around none of the schools trying to recruit him have any feel for what he's got going on. Is it Pittsburgh, Providence, Virginia Tech, UConn, Rhode Island or one of the many others involved that is out in front? It seems nobody knows.”

Reaction Score
My gut tells me he’s doing a post-grad. He’s visited UConn, ND and Pitt. ND has a decent young center right now, y’all might know him ;)
Juwan is averaging 3.2 blocks/game good enough for 3rd in the country in only 15min/game. Juwan and Laszewski (Fr) are splitting the big minutes. I would be surprised if he went to ND. Likely options are Pitt and UConn. If he’s held out this long not sure if he’s going to decide this year.

Reaction Score
Obviously, I know nothing... But, I'd love to take this kid. Sure, he's not the rim protector type and maybe he's not an NBA player. But he's pure old-man game and those guys can be incredibly successful in college. It just seems like Mitchell is an afterthought of sorts in our big recruitment.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
Let's get Tre, Wahab, and Precious for next season.
If @superjohn is correct that we have "more than 2 scholarships" available next season, I think Wahab/Mitchell, Precious and a grad transfer big man would be more than ideal (but my gut would be we don't get Precious). I don't think bringing in like 6 freshmen next year is the way to go, or what Hurley wants to do. We potentially have big time opportunities in 2020 recruiting. It's nice to keep the classes somewhat balanced.

Reaction Score
If @superjohn is correct that we have "more than 2 scholarships" available next season, I think Wahab/Mitchell, Precious and a grad transfer big man would be more than ideal (but my gut would be we don't get Precious). I don't think bringing in like 6 freshmen next year is the way to go, or what Hurley wants to do. We potentially have big time opportunities in 2020 recruiting. It's nice to keep the classes somewhat balanced.

Maybe 7 like in 2010-11? That's replay we'd all enjoy.
If they're four year players, you're right, but if you suspect some will be gone in a year or two it's not a problem.

Reaction Score
BasketballRecruiting.Rivals.com - Hoophall Classic: Senior stock boosters
Skill can take you a long way and skill might very well carry Tre Mitchell a long way.

At a minimum, skill, size and soft hands are going to earn Mitchell a bump in the rankings. He's a crafty scorer with tremendous feel and he can get to the free throw line. A college strength coach will certainly look forward to seeing what they can do with Mitchell and fine tuning his physique. There aren't many big men with his level of offensive ability remaining and his recruitment is about to get much more busy.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
Worked once before...
Maybe 7 like in 2010-11? That's replay we'd all enjoy.
If they're four year players, you're right, but if you suspect some will be gone in a year or two it's not a problem.
Maybe my point is less about having too many freshmen and more about wanting to have 1 or 2 instant impact grad transfers along the vein of Shonn Miller or Lasan Kromah. This team desperately needs some talented guys who have been properly coached for multiple years, because I think next year's team will have growing pains.
If we can balance our talented freshmen class with more experienced grad transfers to go alongside Gilbert and Vital, then we have a better shot to make noise next year and boost our 2020 recruiting than having 6 freshmen.

Reaction Score
Maybe my point is less about having too many freshmen and more about wanting to have 1 or 2 instant impact grad transfers along the vein of Shonn Miller or Lasan Kromah. This team desperately needs some talented guys who have been properly coached for multiple years, because I think next year's team will have growing pains.
If we can balance our talented freshmen class with more experienced grad transfers to go alongside Gilbert and Vital, then we have a better shot to make noise next year and boost our 2020 recruiting than having 6 freshmen.
We just need talent. I don't care if it's a freshman, JUCO, transfer or grad transfer

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
We just need talent. I don't care if it's a freshman, JUCO, transfer or grad transfer
And my point is I do care. We need talented freshmen AND instant impact transfers.

All I'm saying is if we have more than 5 freshmen next year, it might not be pretty for a little while. It will require patience. It will be exciting but it will take time. We don't have Kemba Walker to lead a team half-filled with freshmen to the title.

Reaction Score
Four-star Tre Mitchell staying patient with recruiting process

This morning from Rivals:

Mitchell took visits to Notre Dame and UConn in the fall, and while both offers remain on the table, the idea of reclassifying could be an avenue that he explores further.
“I think it is really just getting my name out there more and having more time to develop, so it is going to be about where I am at the end of the season,” he said. “We are just going to have to sit down and discuss ... after my season.”

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
And my point is I do care. We need talented freshmen AND instant impact transfers.

All I'm saying is if we have more than 5 freshmen next year, it might not be pretty for a little while. It will require patience. It will be exciting but it will take time. We don't have Kemba Walker to lead a team half-filled with freshmen to the title.

Agreed. That's why Mitchell reclassing and coming here a year later is potentially a great move. But let's wait and see what happens on the 30th. If Wahab goes elsewhere, we will be all in on Mitchell for this year.

Reaction Score
If we get Mitchell and Wahab I'd be happier than just Kofi alone. Both will end up being impact players with how fast being the only question. But as big and strong as Kofi was that question was somewhat there too. Not saying it because he's going to Illi but I like the numbers from where Hurley and the staff stand.

Reaction Score
Don't see how this makes sense for him or UConn.

For him? He needs to lose weight and get stronger.

For UConn? We are trying to pull in a 2019 big. Having Mitchell, who could probably play both 4 and 5 eventually, would be a very good thing.

I think that makes perfect sense for both parties.

Reaction Score
Wait another year and Mitchell is gonna have many more new suitors. It'd be ridiculous for Hurley to wait if Wahab doesn't choose the Huskies.

Reaction Score
For him? He needs to lose weight and get stronger.

For UConn? We are trying to pull in a 2019 big. Having Mitchell, who could probably play both 4 and 5 eventually, would be a very good thing.

I think that makes perfect sense for both parties.

2019 makes sense for both parties. Reclassifying only makes sense if he wants different offers. If he was so keen on developing physically before getting minutes he could redshirt. But he would play next year so I don't see the point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom