Misuse of Paige | The Boneyard

Misuse of Paige

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Let me throw this out there as the reason the game was lost last night. Its been an “overthinking things” move made surprisingly by Geno early on this year.

Paige is the best point guard in women’s college basketball. Period. End of discussion. Her passing and court awareness skills are extraordinary, once in a generational, even outshining her offensive shooting skills.

Why is the single best, most dominant, point guard in college basketball not playing point? She would’ve controlled the game from the start, setting up players, taking shots when available. Would’ve been a W.

Instead the best PG in college basketball is used as a decoy to spread the floor and basically not have any ability to impact the game at the huge level she can.

A tremendous mismanagement of talent.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
Let me throw this out there as the reason the game was lost last night. Its been an “overthinking things” move made surprisingly by Geno early on this year.

Paige is the best point guard in women’s college basketball. Period. End of discussion. Her passing and court awareness skills are extraordinary, once in a generational, even outshining her offensive shooting skills.

Why is the single best, most dominant, point guard in college basketball not playing point? She would’ve controlled the game from the start, setting up players, taking shots when available. Would’ve been a W.

Instead the best PG in college basketball is used as a decoy to spread the floor and basically not have any ability to impact the game at the huge level she can.

Last night showed that we need more scoring options. I am so upset about the play of the bigs and I agree with the "dog". Paiges' biggest asset is her passing which is what she was famous for. With Nika on the floor we only have four scoring options, because it isn't that she can't shoot, but its that she refuses to shoot. Her defense and grit do help us, but if we don't score, we don't win. Next year return Paige to her natural position, place Azzi at the 2, and have Nika come off the bench to spell the guards. Hopefully Amari can provide us with some interior scoring more consistently than we have seen this year.

Reaction Score
Last night showed that we need more scoring options. I am so upset about the play of the bigs and I agree with the "dog". Paiges' biggest asset is her passing which is what she was famous for. With Nika on the floor we only have four scoring options, because it isn't that she can't shoot, but its that she refuses to shoot. Her defense and grit do help us, but if we don't score, we don't win. Next year return Paige to her natural position, place Azzi at the 2, and have Nika come off the bench to spell the guards. Hopefully Amari can provide us with some interior scoring more consistently than we have seen this year.

Reaction Score

Wrong

Reaction Score

The team started to play well when Nika
Was put in the starting lineup as the point guard

Reaction Score
There are several ways to look at this. But first Paige has never been a decoy, and has probably scored more off the ball than when she is on the point. Second Paige could be an All American at point guard or shooting guard, she has the skills for both and is not out of position at either one.

The principle issue has to do with the best mesh with whoever else is on the floor. Evina, Anna and to a lessor extent Christyn are pretty versatile playing more than one position. Nika unfortunately is not. She is pure point guard, she might be a 7 or 8 as a PG, but a 3 or 4 as a SG, whereas Paige can be a 10 at both.

Paige at the point has relatively few very good options to pass to. Christyn and Evina from the three point line are just OK options. Anna was the only player early in the season that opposing coaches had to try to prevent from getting open 3's, and Liv was a sometimes option underneath, but one who has trouble finishing against bigger physical defenders.

When Anna went out the dynamics changed. Inserting Nika into the starting lineup meant there was only one dangerous three point shooter in the starting unit, and that was Paige, and she can't pass to herself. Paige at the point and Nika standing in the corner, largely ignored by the defense has obvious flaws. When Paige and Nika are on the floor together, Nika at the point gets more out of that combo than the other way around, and there is at least one scary good three point shooter off the ball. When Paige is at the point nobody really scares the opposition beyond the stripe except if Anna is in the game.

So I would argue that Paige is as good at SG as PG anyway, that when teamed with Nika, clearly Nika should be the point guard, and that even if Paige was not as effective at SG, many players are asked to play out of their natural position because of team needs. Look at the other players this year.

Evina came to Uconn as a PG. Now I would consider her more of a natural combo guard, but after Anna got injured she was forced to play PF. Before that Anna was playing out of position there as well. Aaliyah is a natural 4 but has to back up Liv at the 5. Christyn is out of position at the 3 when teamed with Nika and Paige. Megan was out of position at the 4, Pheesa was never a 5, Gabby had to guard Asia Wilson quite a bit one game. Azzi could start out of her natural position at the 3 next year, who knows?

Many players are used away from their best position for major stretches of games. Paige is great at both, it isn't even an issue with her. Beyond not seeing any drop-off in production from her at the 2 vs. the 1, there is another reason for Nika being the point when she is in there. In big games Geno plays Paige almost the whole game. Against Baylor the whole game, and none of the Uconn three that played the whole game were good down the stretch when presumably they were exhausted. Just the simple change of Nika bringing the ball up helps preserve Paige to play those big minutes and be fresher at the end.

Reaction Score
Oh for goodness sakes, all last night shows is that we are a young team that needs to toughen up. That’s it. That’s all. Let’s hope they all work on their game, and hit the weight room over the break
Exactly. Paige is average 20 points a game and a handful of assists, she’s doing just fine. I think GA has been an excellent coach this year. In order to have Nika in the starting line up, she really can only play the point spot. That’s where she shines, she’s not like Paige where she can be the off ball guard because there’s not a big threat from her shooting. We need to remember that we aren’t going to win a NC every year. Going to the final 4 with 3 impact freshman is an AMAZING accomplishment and we should all be proud. Sometimes you just get outplayed, that’s ball. I’m incredibly proud of this team and think they had an incredible year. We can only get better from here.

Reaction Score
Exactly. Paige is average 20 points a game and a handful of assists, she’s doing just fine. I think GA has been an excellent coach this year. In order to have Nika in the starting line up, she really can only play the point spot. That’s where she shines, she’s not like Paige where she can be the off ball guard because there’s not a big threat from her shooting. We need to remember that we aren’t going to win a NC every year. Going to the final 4 with 3 impact freshman is an AMAZING accomplishment and we should all be proud. Sometimes you just get outplayed, that’s ball. I’m incredibly proud of this team and think they had an incredible year. We can only get better from here.
He did a great job with a flawed roster that battled injuries all year - but last night was not a coaching masterpiece by Geno.

Not sure I agree with her predominantly running point, but they needed to run a lot more plays to get her involved early. She only had four (FOUR!) field goal attempts at halftime. Yes, it’s well-documented that Paige likes to let the game come to her almost too much, but there’s a coaching/play calling component to it as well.

Reaction Score

Two thoughts -
She's playing 40 minute a game and Geno is trying to conserve energy while at the same time pushing her to play more aggressive defense.
She's the best shooter on the team, as well as the best playmaker. She'll play a more pure point guard next year with Azzi Fudd catching her passes.

Reaction Score
Also. Maybe Paige and the others will realize they have a coach who knows stuff and that next year they’ll listen and learn. It’s been said in articles many times that this group felt like they knew it all. Surprise! They don’t. Geno hasn’t won 11 championships by faking it.

Reaction Score

"Paige is the best point guard in women’s college basketball. Period. End of discussion. Her passing and court awareness skills are extraordinary, once in a generational, even outshining her offensive shooting skills."

What game were you watching last night?

Reaction Score
"Paige is the best point guard in women’s college basketball. Period. End of discussion. Her passing and court awareness skills are extraordinary, once in a generational, even outshining her offensive shooting skills."

What game were you watching last night?
Probably the game where Arizona threw double and triple teams at her all night. I did not see UConn counter with many double screens to get Paige open (or at least have the screeners slip for a layup if Arizona overplayed it).

Reaction Score

Lolol

Reaction Score
Probably the game where Arizona threw double and triple teams at her all night. I did not see UConn counter with many double screens to get Paige open (or at least have the screeners slip for a layup if Arizona overplayed it).
Geno was badly outcoached last night - although many people on here don't want to admit it publicly. Its easier to blame the missed layups, but that wasnt the true problem. The problem was the scheme & lack of adjustments when it was clear early on it wasnt working.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Surprised I haven't heard one of Geno's digs like

'Hope this does not hurt her draft position in the WNBA draft'.

I think we all went off the rails a bit but after this loss where she was often manhandled defensively, and with Azzi pushing her (while being the good cop to Paige's Juvenile Delinquency), she will be significantly more mature and ready to lead us.

Reaction Score
That is because no team has ever been successful double/triple teaming McDonald. Maybe the COY & POY Awards should be handed out after the NCAA Tournament is completed? Don't get me wrong, I thing PB is an unreal talent, and will likely lead her team to a NCAA title, but McDonald has demonstrated throughout the NCAA Tournament that she is the best, and MVP, in the NCAA.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Geno was badly outcoached last night - although many people on here don't want to admit it publicly. Its easier to blame the missed layups, but that wasnt the true problem. The problem was the scheme & lack of adjustments when it was clear early on it wasnt working.
Bingo!

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
I think it would help if Paige added 10-15 pounds of muscle. She was getting pushed around a lot. Reminded me of when DT played. OTOH, Christyn Williams looks very strong to me. She does not get pushed around.

Reaction Score

Thanks coach. Think I'll just throw the comments out.

Reaction Score
Think we all love Geno & staff...but, they aren't perfect. While many have talked about last nights offensive woes, when it comes to an opponent with a "Iverson" type guard as the main offensive threat, who can shoot and penetrate, seemingly at will, why, doesn't our coaching staff ever consider a zone. In this case, with the taller front line, it not only would have given us an advantage on the boards, but, the zone, could have prevented penetration and concentrated on their star.....just a thought:mad:

Reaction Score
The offense that Geno runs works well in the regular season, but falls flat in the FF4. Why? Because we are up against equally big and more physical teams.
I agree with the original post. Why does Paige give up the ball to AE or ONO at the top of the key, only to see them struggle through the shot clock to get it back to her?
In these games, the back cuts, low post points don't seem to be there, because we can't seem to make a layup in big, physical games.
So, what do you do? You isolate your best offensive players, Paige, then CW, then Evina. Get everybody away from the basket, and give them the room needed to make a 1-1 move . If help comes, you dish to the three point line for an open three.
This is not how Paige likes to play but would be the most effective for her. She needs to go the James Harden school of 1-1 basketball.
She needs to learn pump fakes, jab steps so that if she is crowded she gets the defender of their feet, and goes by, or if they stay back shoot the three over them. She is one of the best three point shooters in the country and she only took three last night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom