Mistakes of Youth - What Could have Been | The Boneyard

Mistakes of Youth - What Could have Been

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Imagine that you are a young girl in America, with a love of playing basketball, and a desire to have that interest get you a basketball athletic scholarship at a good four-year college. In addition, it would be nice to go to a college that has an opportunity to be in contention to play for a national championship. And, of course, there is the possibility of being a Professional basketball player after college - perhaps even playing for America at the Olympics.

Well, opinions could recommend a list of schools that might provide this young girl with the above dreams. However, statistics point to one college and one college only - UCONN. And, until the mathematics of college woman's basketball change, a truly gifted player, is approaching insanity, not to want to play for UCONN and its amazing coach and staff. They are the surest way to a successful college basketball experience, and, the absolute best at getting college players ready for the pros. Just ask any pro woman's basketball coach.

One superior athletic, in particular, who did not believe in statistics, but in opinion, chose to “be the one who beats UCONN,” rather then play for them. In my opinion, a sophomoric decision. That girl, A’ja Wilson, now a junior at South Carolina, is having a wonderful amateur career. There is even the possibility that she could win a national championship this year - which would be her last chance, as all indications point to the 2017 UCONN team as once again being completely dominate and unbeatable. And, I fully expect A’ja to be a high first round pick, if not number one, for the WBA.

If A’ja had picked UCONN, she would now be working on her third national championship ring, and would probably be the face of the UCONN lineup, now owned by Katie-Lou. And, next year, pick up another National Championship Ring - before headed to the pros. But, that is what could have been. And, if UCONN, which is surprising EVERYONE, could win number five in a row this year - that means A’ja goes 0 for four, when she could have possibly been 4 and 0, within the context of National Champions.

And the last bit of irony is that 20 or so years from now when A’ja is showing her children video’s, magazine articles, and other mementos of her glorious past as a superstar for South Carolina, somewhere else in America, a Doctor named Briana "Polly" Pulido, will be showing her children the 3 NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP RINGS she earned - rings beyond the reach of a superstar, but not, of a hard working team player who gave her ALL ever single second she wore the UCONN uniform - even though it would not lead to anything other then the joy she had of being part of something unique in American sports history.

I really, really, wish that A’ja had come to UCONN. But, regardless, I wish her nothing but the best in the future, except for Monday, February the 13th of next year.

Reaction Score
If A’ja had picked UCONN, she would now be working on her third national championship ring
How do you know this ? Is there an alternate universe where this is a certainty ? There is no ifs and buts... for all I know, in that alternate timeline where A'ja is on the UConn team and she would still be working on her first NC.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Good point xox...

But the same point could be made of others, Diamond deShields and last season's Bashaara Graves of UTenn come to mind

The later who never developed at all
and prior to her recruitment palled around happily w Stewie, Tuck and Moriah on the US team.

Reaction Score
But if players never wanted to "slay the dragon" maybe we wouldn't have gotten Rebecca Lobo! Just can't picture her in orange!

Reaction Score
Well, xoxxox, you KNOW Aja would have already won 2 NCs if she'd played for UConn the last 2 years (or do you think she'd have been a detriment playing with Bre, Mo, and Tuck?). Of course no one knows what this year will bring, but would you bet against the Huskies this year if Aja was playing on this team with Napheesa, Gabby, and Lou? Would you bet against the current UConn edition w/out Wilson on the team? You could if you care little for your money.

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
How do you know this ? Is there an alternate universe where this is a certainty ? There is no ifs and buts... for all I know, in that alternate timeline where A'ja is on the UConn team and she would still be working on her first NC.
Correct! All stories which begin with the word, "IF," are pure fantasy. I am surprised no one has mentioned another player who left Uconn without playing 1 minute........."if."

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Colin-Powell-Not-reading-1.jpg

Cliff notes please, thanks

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
This may sound sacrilegious on this board, but there are more important reasons to choose a college than championships. One of those reasons is FAMILY.

A'ja Wilson's parents can eat an early supper, drive over to campus to catch the tipoff, give their little girl a hug after the game & be home in time to catch the evening news.

All indications are that A'ja is very close to her parents. In addition to having them close by, A'ja is saving them a bundle in travel expenses to watch her play.

Reaction Score
somewhere else in America, a Doctor named Briana "Polly" Pulido, will be showing her children the 3 NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP RINGS she earned - rings beyond the reach of a superstar, but not, of a hard working team player who gave her ALL ever single second she wore the UCONN uniform.

This part right here should make her the talk of her peers, department and any patients that keep up with Commecticut basketball and/or women's basketball.

She should also put up the picture of her last basket in the championship game (rising up for that shot) in her locker lol.

Reaction Score
Second post of the day exalting UConn WBB (fine) at the cost of denigrating an opposing player. A'ja Wilson and Kelsey Mitchell are playing an extremely high level of basketball which they've worked long and hard to achieve. They are, moreover, thriving where they are.

Why can't we just feel good about our surprising success without wondering whether Kelsey Mitchell should be an AA or A'ja Wilson should have come to Connecticut?

Shorty Dee

Number 1 UConn fan
Reaction Score
As I watch A'ja and Diamond play, I came to the conclusion that they wouldn't really fit the UConn model. They would drive Geno and CD crazy.

A'ja -
Would drive CD crazy, because she like her shorts short, and the top sleeves rolled up.
Diamond - Would drive Geno crazy, because she wants to be a superstar, and she talk too much.

Reaction Score
As I watch A'ja and Diamond play, I came to the conclusion that they wouldn't really fit the UConn model. They would drive Geno and CD crazy.

A'ja -
Would drive CD crazy, because she like her shorts short, and the top sleeves rolled up.
Diamond - Would drive Geno crazy, because she wants to be a superstar, and she talk too much.
Both will drive UConn fans crazy ...

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Second post of the day exalting UConn WBB (fine) at the cost of denigrating an opposing players

Not really…. if you actually take the time to read both post. Both are opinions and there are ample responses disagreeing with both opinions.
A post to denigrate an opposing player would not have included the following:

I really, really, wish that A’ja had come to UCONN. But, regardless, I wish her nothing but the best in the future, except for Monday, February the 13th of next year.

Ohio State's Kelsey Mitchell is one of those talented players who dominates the headlines by scoring, and scoring and scoring. Yes, she single handedly kept Ohio State close against UConn by pouring in 19 first half points. Three of those points came on a near half court bomb as time ran out in the half. She has talent, no doubt.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score

A'ja -
Yea those shorts would have been a deal breaker! :D

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
A'ja is obviously a very fine player. My "problem" with her is the problem I have with that whole squad. They do seem to lack intensity and frequently play down to their opponent. The bench acts like they are waiting for a bus. If there is a leader on the floor, I wish someone would identify them for me. I am happy that they have this problem.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Imagine that you are a young girl in America, with a love of playing basketball, and a desire to have that interest get you a basketball athletic scholarship at a good four-year college. In addition, it would be nice to go to a college that has an opportunity to be in contention to play for a national championship. And, of course, there is the possibility of being a Professional basketball player after college - perhaps even playing for America at the Olympics.

Well, opinions could recommend a list of schools that might provide this young girl with the above dreams. However, statistics point to one college and one college only - UCONN. And, until the mathematics of college woman's basketball change, a truly gifted player, is approaching insanity, not to want to play for UCONN and its amazing coach and staff. They are the surest way to a successful college basketball experience, and, the absolute best at getting college players ready for the pros. Just ask any pro woman's basketball coach.

One superior athletic, in particular, who did not believe in statistics, but in opinion, chose to “be the one who beats UCONN,” rather then play for them. In my opinion, a sophomoric decision. That girl, A’ja Wilson, now a junior at South Carolina, is having a wonderful amateur career. There is even the possibility that she could win a national championship this year - which would be her last chance, as all indications point to the 2017 UCONN team as once again being completely dominate and unbeatable. And, I fully expect A’ja to be a high first round pick, if not number one, for the WBA.

If A’ja had picked UCONN, she would now be working on her third national championship ring, and would probably be the face of the UCONN lineup, now owned by Katie-Lou. And, next year, pick up another National Championship Ring - before headed to the pros. But, that is what could have been. And, if UCONN, which is surprising EVERYONE, could win number five in a row this year - that means A’ja goes 0 for four, when she could have possibly been 4 and 0, within the context of National Champions.

And the last bit of irony is that 20 or so years from now when A’ja is showing her children video’s, magazine articles, and other mementos of her glorious past as a superstar for South Carolina, somewhere else in America, a Doctor named Briana "Polly" Pulido, will be showing her children the 3 NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP RINGS she earned - rings beyond the reach of a superstar, but not, of a hard working team player who gave her ALL ever single second she wore the UCONN uniform - even though it would not lead to anything other then the joy she had of being part of something unique in American sports history.

When the players choose which school to attend, they're choosing their college, not a basketball program. Choosing a college is a whole lot more complicated and involves things such as location, academics, atmosphere, etc. Having been through the college selection process twice now, I know that it's not a simple thing.

UConn isn't for everyone. We shouldn't denigrate the young women that choose to go elsewhere.

Bajan Best

Decades of Excellence = Legendary
Reaction Score
Well I might as well add my two cents here :)
As I have very strong opinions on the subject as well

To me it should come down to, what are my goals?
Do I want to become the best that I can be with the talent(s) I have and where/who can best do that for me?

I really don't get the staying home to be close to Family, because at the next level if basketball is what you want to do after college you don't have that option to pick which team/city you play for and isn't college suppose to be preparing you for the real world experiences? (Most college players end up leaving the Country to play overseas.. might as well get your feet wet..)

With any other profession for instance, if I exhibit potential to be the best doctor/Lawyer in an entire country, do I select a university who is gifted at producing IT students because it is close to family or I really like the atmosphere on campus? I think it is your duty to find the best College with the best professors/Teachers to tap into and further develop what you have a natural gift for.. where also other like minded and gifted students can assist in pushing you to become all that you can be..

And the reference to UConn not being for everyone, or this player doesn't fit the UConn model I agree, but mostly to those who weren't offered a scholarship.. If Geno and his assistants went to that trouble it's because they honestly believe that you can play and succeed there.. And in this case the original poster was referencing someone heavily recruited by UConn .. And yes Some kids do regret not going to a program.. But that is all hindsight.. :)

So bottom line if your goal is to be a pro BB, then choose the best at developing those..
if it is to be a Baller and a Doctor, then choose a program that is good at both disciplines.. and so on..

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Second post of the day exalting UConn WBB (fine) at the cost of denigrating an opposing player. A'ja Wilson and Kelsey Mitchell are playing an extremely high level of basketball which they've worked long and hard to achieve. They are, moreover, thriving where they are.

Why can't we just feel good about our surprising success without wondering whether Kelsey Mitchell should be an AA or A'ja Wilson should have come to Connecticut?
post-of-the-week-e1352139111505-300x226.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog