Missouri defense has chance for first shutout against Connecticut | The Boneyard

Missouri defense has chance for first shutout against Connecticut

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
Post it in the locker room. Zero respect from a team that almost lost to Ark. State Red Wolves...
it's not coming from their locker room; just their local beat guy doing lazy research....

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
The writer really isn't that far off. The only thing I strongly disagree with is that UConn's offense hasn't been better this year. It is much better overall including fewer turnovers. As has been stated...the o line is still a work in progress, but I would argue every other position is better on offense.

Reaction Score
ShakyTheMohel said:
The writer really isn't that far off. The only thing I strongly disagree with is that UConn's offense hasn't been better this year. It is much better overall including fewer turnovers. As has been stated...the o line is still a work in progress, but I would argue every other position is better on offense.

I agree it is better, but if you aren't watching the tape:

Last year we scored 19 against an FCS team. This year we scored 20.

Last year we scored 21 against Army.
This year we scored 22.

So it isn't crazy for someone not paying attention to think that our offense might not be that much better.

Reaction Score
it's not coming from their locker room; just their local beat guy doing lazy research....

I certainly wouldn't consider this guy a local beat reporter. He covers multiple SEC teams for an independent website and definitely isn't local. If you check the Columbia Tribune, KC Star, and St. Louis Post-Dispatch you will get a better feel of how the local beat writers view things.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score

This year we scored 22.

So it isn't crazy for someone not paying attention to think that our offense might not be that much better.
he talked about us playing slow but you cant play slow if you're going three and out. one three and out in two games is light years ahead of the team that couldn't stay on the field against townson and stony brook. hasn't translated to points yet but you can see that it will.... plus we're not hanging the d out to dry for a whole game.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score

This year we scored 22.

There was a sense of urgency in both those game last year. There was a sense of fear that UConn wasn't going to be able to keep up or pull away.

Last year the Offense scored 12 point vs. Stony Brook. 7 came on a punt return. So yeah, I think the offense performed better vs. a higher ranked FCS opponent.

Vs. Army last year, the defense could not get off the field. That was not an issue this year. The middle of the defense was stout and UConn was 2 plays (1 came in desperation) from allowing merely 3 points.
In terms of the offense, UConn was playing from behind all afternoon and it took a late TD and onside kick to even have the chance to tie the game. Of course they would have had to convert an extra point, which (if we're being honest) is no sure thing and has not even been even highly probably since Dave Teggart donned #38.

So yeah, the scores vs. the FCS teams and Army have been similar over the last couple of years, but how they achieved those scores are worlds apart.

But as you say...Boneyarders are paying attention. Probably not the case for a beat writer in Columbia, Missouri.

Reaction Score
Yeah, I've never heard of this guy. This is one of the many sites that tries to scoop up SEC readers en masse. The site has never done anything for me.

It's click bait for Mizzou fans is all. I don't anticipate a shutout by any means.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

This year we scored 22.

I would suggest those numbers are very deceiving.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Only until they asked the BY. Before that, how would they know?

Because 99% of beat writers are the same. It's not exactly a field that attracts the best and brightest.

I don't even know why you'd waste any time reading what a Missouri writer has to say - everyone reading here already knows more than they do.

I actually clicked on it - and I can't even venture a guess why it would be published.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
I would suggest those numbers are very deceiving.
I think that was exactly his point. That anyone not paying attention would be easily deceived by those numbers and write a nice easy fluff piece.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Yeah, I've never heard of this guy. This is one of the many sites that tries to scoop up SEC readers en masse. The site has never done anything for me.

It's click bait for Mizzou fans is all. I don't anticipate a shutout by any means.
Overall, this is lazy reporting. A lot is based on 2014 (which applies as much as 2010 - UConn's Fiesta Bowl bid - does), and the box score. Marquise Vann is questionable to play this week, but his backup Matt Walsh is just as good and the two are pretty much interchangeable in the defensive scheme.

Past Mizzou teams would have won the game at Arkansas State going away. Just based on the box score, it looks like Mizzou out lasted Ark. St. (3 points in the 2nd half). UConn hired Matt Balis away from Mississippi State shortly after Bob Diaco was hired (December 2013). While conditioning was a YUGE concern with a capital "Y" in 2014, I don't expect UConn to break down in the second half like they would in past years or like Ark. St. appeared to do.

Based on this article, I expect a close game in 20's. Mizzou may very well win, but it won't be by 20.5.

Reaction Score
I think that was exactly his point. That anyone not paying attention would be easily deceived by those numbers and write a nice easy fluff piece.

Exactly. Watching the games tells a far different story.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom