Mississippi Valley Post Game Thread | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Mississippi Valley Post Game Thread

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
No game with that many fouls is fun to watch but we got the job done.

Cam is a ridiculously talented player.

Bench needs to step up and Clingan need to make FTs.
hard to argue with any of that

Reaction Score
Well, we're a different team without Castle. We're good. We're just not as good. One of the bummers about a one and done is if he misses a game it, we lose the opportunity to see him play.

Clingan needs those minutes. Needs to feel what it's like to shoot foul shots feeling spent.

The game is too fast for Solo right now. You can see the talent. But he is rushing everything. When it slows down he will be very good.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Castle injury definitely messed up rotation of bench players.

Stewart and Ross ended up with almost no impact. Roumogulou's long stint in second half was a message to those two to perform or sit. And he was crisp moving the ball.

I believe Hurley wanted an exhausted Clingan out there so Clingan can actually feel how his body feels when pushed and how he needs to play defensively and offensively when he is gassed.

Johnson is so inexperienced with game speed and it shows.

Great shooting by Spencer. Love this film getting in BE coaches film room.

Team amd arena had no buzz and it was still a cake walk.

Us fans will learn more about this team in first 10 min against IU than the 120 combined minutes of first three games.

Reaction Score
Clingan's Free Throws are going to be a huge problem. He cannot be a 50% FT shooter if we want to win another title
After the Stonehill game I said it's too early to worry. After tonight I'm still of the opinion it's early but he clearly doesn't look comfortable at the line. And he's clearly frustrated with his FT shooting. After a late miss that went in and out he showed some frustration. He'll work on it. He won't be this bad all season. Kind of like some people worrying about Spencer's 3 point shooting after 2 games. I knew he would bounce back and go on a hot streak.

The freshmen looked like, well, freshmen. Not yet ready for prime time. But they'll get there. I'm confident. But it does show how much more ready Castle is for this level than the other freshmen.

Reaction Score
He's nowhere near 50% right now.

Shooting 50% would be a huge step up on performance.

Is it possible that his foot injury might have set back his FT? I remember vividly that the numerous video clips has shown his 3 point shooting at least very decent, technic wise.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Is it possible that his foot injury might have set back his FT? I remember vividly that the numerous video clips has shown his 3 point shooting at least very decent, technic wise.

Is it possible? Sure. Probable? Hell if I know.

His form looks stiff and it's obviously in his head based on his reactions to misses.

Reaction Score
Really disappointed in this so far, and I don't think it's too early to say this is going to be a concern and that he should have improved much more than this in the offseason.
how do you go from 50% to 35% ??

Reaction Score
100%. I really don't like seeing Clingan get beaten up like that against an unskilled team who plays really hard. I know coach is on a strict minutes plan with him but watching what was going on out there I wanted him out of the game.
He can’t try to block everything when he knows his legs will get taken out.

Reaction Score
I really think Clingan should just move back 3 or 4 inches when at the free throw line. All his free throws seem to miss long. I think this would help

Reaction Score
I liked the ball movement. I didn't like Clingan playing all those minutes. And I hate watching him get beat up.
He played 23 minutes. He needed to do that to be ready for a real game against Indiana

Reaction Score
Well, we're a different team without Castle. We're good. We're just not as good. One of the bummers about a one and done is if he misses a game it, we lose the opportunity to see him play.

Clingan needs those minutes. Needs to feel what it's like to shoot foul shots feeling spent.

The game is too fast for Solo right now. You can see the talent. But he is rushing everything. When it slows down he will be very good.
At least he is trying to make things happen. Ross, greek, samson waiting for someone else to take the shot. Samson show us something besides dunk, it will be needed. Greek and ross shoot the 3, that is why you are on court.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
In Hurley's presser, who was he talking about when he said the kid's going to try to break in to watch video and question why they take a day off? I couldn't hear the questions at all.

Reaction Score
General rule, if you are a better athlete than shooter you should probably shoot more 2s than 3s. Wish Solo would put it on the deck and get to the rim more.

Clingan’s FT shooting has to get better.

We definitely missed Castle some in this game. Hope he gets back soon. He’s the kind of player that makes it easier for everyone else.

Good to see Cam answer the bell the first time he was really “needed”.
Just think we can replace a block with a brick in castle to ball

Reaction Score
7:21

Why are we putting Clingan, and arguably Spencer back in this game? I'll never undarstand Coach-think.

Reaction Score
In Hurley's presser, who was he talking about when he said the kid's going to try to break in to watch video and question why they take a day off? I couldn't hear the questions at all.
Probably Cam.

Reaction Score
Really want to see one of Ball, Stewart or Ross emerge to be the 8th man. I thought it was interesting to see Roumoglu get minutes that mattered, he seemed fluid (that foul at half court was a harder hit than anyone on our football team though lol). Team defense seemed weak, Spencer still has work to do on that end. Nice to see Spencer ball out on offense. I don't want to be overly negative on Clingan but on offense he takes too many layups where he's falling away and on defense his feet are slow and he lunges instead of going straight up. Samson Johnson looked really good on that dunk. I hope Castle is ok.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
7:21

Why are we putting Clingan, and arguably Spencer back in this game? I'll never undarstand Coach-think.
Clingan has never played crunch time in his UConn career. Never had to play feeling that end of game tired. He needed more minutes in a 2nd half before the Indiana/Texas games. That and Samson was playing poorly.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom