Mississippi St vs Virginia - 11/09/18 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Mississippi St vs Virginia - 11/09/18

Reaction Score
Yes, it is a different team, quicker, deeper, and better defense but no real go to star, Vivian’s, as yet.

I’m thinking it might be a better team. As far as go-to player goes, I think McCowan is difficult to stop. But if you don’t see her as a go-to player, maybe it’s better not to have a go-to player. In this game, the team high player score was 13 pts but the team still scored 72 pts. That means you can’t key on one player. You have to stop the whole team. Geno loves when a team relies on one player for most of the offense.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I wouldn't read too much into the rebound numbers. It was a 2 rebound differential. I think TO's were 17 to 3 in the first half. That is a lot of possessions with no shots for Virginia where the defense would have the advantage on rebounds.

Aiyeotan did have 16 of UVA's 43 rebounds. Howard had 9 in 20 minutes with her playing time limited by fouls as in game one.

Yeah I'm not reading into it, especially when it was a blowout win for Mississippi State. Just didn't expect anyone to outrebound Ms St this year with McCowan and Howard in the front court.

Reaction Score
Yeah I'm not reading into it, especially when it was a blowout win for Mississippi State. Just didn't expect anyone to outrebound Ms St this year with McCowan and Howard in the front court.

The player that had 16 reb is 6’9. Virginia might be out-rebounding a lot of teams.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Curious to see if they can do a better job on McCowan. She had 35/19 last year and just dominated the Ducks frontline.

That will be a key. I don't think Hebard can handle her 1 on 1.

Reaction Score
Danberry will likely guard Ionescu. That is going to be a whole lotta fun to watch. Danberry is easily one if the best on-ball defenders in the country this season, so it will be interesting to see if she can stop Ionescu. Ionescu one of the best offensive guards in the country. This is offense vs. defense at its best.

Bibby and Boley serves as an interesting matchup. Both are slow footed, but can really shoot the ball. Bibby is much improved, and those two might cancel out.

Howard and Sabally also an interesting matchup, mostly because the 5 inch difference between the two. Both are very different players, but I think Howard may be too athletic and energetic to handle. Sabally is one heck of a player though.

We all know about the Hebard-McCowan matchup.

Both PGs are pretty good too. Holmes is also a tenacious defender.

Another key part of the game is depth. Mississippi State clearly wins that category and may tire out the ducks. Howard and McCowan have gotten in foul trouble a little this season too.

Reaction Score
I’m thinking it might be a better team. As far as go-to player goes, I think McCowan is difficult to stop. But if you don’t see her as a go-to player, maybe it’s better not to have a go-to player. In this game, the team high player score was 13 pts but the team still scored 72 pts. That means you can’t key on one player. You have to stop the whole team. Geno loves when a team relies on one player for most of the offense.
What I mean by a go to player is that star that comes thru when the game gets tough. That player the other players know they can rely on to be there when it absolute has to happen. Tory was that kinda of player, she got it done when times got tough. No doubt Tee is great but she is one dimensional, tough as nails and definitely hard to defend close in, Tory was hard to defend everywhere in close, driving, or outside, 3 point land . I do not see that player yet on this team but hopefully Howard and Bobby can fill that role, if they can, this will be a great season for MSST!

Reaction Score
I haven't seen either game we've played so far but the box scores show solid though not spectacular numbers for several players not named McCowan. The competition doesn't sound like it's been the greatest so there isn't any way to tell how good this team is off those contests. AEH will help but no clue as to how much. As far as her waiver, I just throw my hands up and say whatever. I wouldn't have been surprised had the NCAA said no nor will I be if Promise Taylor is a no. Honestly I would be fine with Promise sitting out this year and letting McCowan and Howard roam the paint with Carter coming in as well as a little Zion Campbell. I saw Taylor during the Ole Miss games last year and though she was pretty good but needed some polishing. I don't think a redshirt year hurts anyone.

The Oregon game will be a much better measure to determine the quality of MSU's team. I watched Oregon play ND last year in the E8 and thought the Ducks were very good. Ionescu is one of the best in the country and the remaining starters are all good. Depth may be an issue but Oregon is a legit threat to be at the FF this year.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
That will be an interesting matchup. ESPN rates Ruth very highly.

She's good. She'll probably score on the other end, but Hebard simply isn't big enough or strong enough to handle McCowan on the low block. She's a monster on the offensive glass, that could cause UO lots of trouble.

Reaction Score
I'll be interested in UO's defensive game plan. With a short bench, it becomes even a larger challenge for UO. You have to game plan for the personnel you have. This is where "coaching" shows up, or, doesn't.

Reaction Score
I haven't seen either game we've played so far but the box scores show solid though not spectacular numbers for several players not named McCowan. The competition doesn't sound like it's been the greatest so there isn't any way to tell how good this team is off those contests. AEH will help but no clue as to how much. As far as her waiver, I just throw my hands up and say whatever. I wouldn't have been surprised had the NCAA said no nor will I be if Promise Taylor is a no. Honestly I would be fine with Promise sitting out this year and letting McCowan and Howard roam the paint with Carter coming in as well as a little Zion Campbell. I saw Taylor during the Ole Miss games last year and though she was pretty good but needed some polishing. I don't think a redshirt year hurts anyone.

The Oregon game will be a much better measure to determine the quality of MSU's team. I watched Oregon play ND last year in the E8 and thought the Ducks were very good. Ionescu is one of the best in the country and the remaining starters are all good. Depth may be an issue but Oregon is a legit threat to be at the FF this year.
MSSPORT GUY, I watched both games. I was impressed by the defense. Still have a lot of jelling on offense but this team plays defense. VIC stresses defens and it looks like this team has really bought into his demands. I have watched a lot of MSST Women basketball and IMHO this team is the best Vic has produced in so far as Defense is concerned.

Reaction Score
MSSPORT GUY, I watched both games. I was impressed by the defense. Still have a lot of jelling on offense but this team plays defense. VIC stresses defens and it looks like this team has really bought into his demands. I have watched a lot of MSST Women basketball and IMHO this team is the best Vic has produced in so far as Defense is concerned.
Yikes....for the rest of the teams that are going to play MSU this season! I've always been impressed with MSU's focus on Defense. If MSU is better defensively than in the past, MSU has a great opportunity to return again to Final 4. I like coaches who emphasize D.

SimpleDawg

Dan Mullen, Dak Prescott, and Vic Schaefer fan
Reaction Score
I also thought our defense was at another level. Still a lot of game to be played though, but we'll destroy Oregon and force them to play a way they're not used to. McCowan got 35 points last year, and with better defenders that we have this year, they'll have to shoot lights out and all of their players have to have quality games for them to win.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom