Mississippi St (8) @ Tennessee (23) - 2/06/20 | The Boneyard

Mississippi St (8) @ Tennessee (23) - 2/06/20

Who will win this game?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Reaction Score
Knoxville, TN - 6:30 PM ET
TV: SEC Network (Courtney Lyle, Carolyn Peck)

Video stream:

Audio:

Live stats:

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Tennessee sure could use this one. At first glance 17-5 record and 7-2 in SEC looks fine, but on closer inspection there aren't much in the way of quality wins. Other than LSU, I just don't see much. Too bad Notre Dame tanked this year, but if they were better they probably would've beaten the Vols. A few more cracks at decent teams after this game in LSU, Texas A&M and Arkansas.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Tennessee sure could use this one. At first glance 17-5 record and 7-2 in SEC looks fine, but on closer inspection there aren't much in the way of quality wins. Other than LSU, I just don't see much. Too bad Notre Dame tanked this year, but if they were better they probably would've beaten the Vols. A few more cracks at decent teams after this game in LSU, Texas A&M and Arkansas.
Here's the thing. With Ayana Mitchell sadly out for the season, uncertainty suddenly looms over LSU's season, and the value of any wins over LSU suddenly is in doubt. I'll be curious to see how LSU holds up. It can't be overstated how Mitchell was the heart and soul of the team.

I suspect Tennessee will be okay, but yeah they are definitely not a 6 seed as their ranking would suggest. More like an 8 or 9 seed with their current resume. At least they're beating (most of) the teams they're supposed to be beating. Based on the reveal, this committee seems to be rewarding *some* teams for having no bad losses -- but not all of them.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Big game for both teams IMO. A win would be huge for Tennessee while a loss could be pretty detrimental for MSU. I think MSU is the favorite here but am expecting a competitive game. MSU looks to be the better team but if Davis goes off and Tennessee decides to not turn it over 20+ times, Tennessee can win this.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Big game for both teams IMO. A win would be huge for Tennessee while a loss could be pretty detrimental for MSU. I think MSU is the favorite here but am expecting a competitive game. MSU looks to be the better team but if Davis goes off and Tennessee decides to not turn it over 20+ times, Tennessee can win this.
Frankly, Mississippi State will have to play horribly to lose this game. Tennessee may have an edge in rebounding, but I expect that to be more than negated by the turnovers. I am still shocked at how much UConn turned TN over, and that's not even UConn's forte -- as it is for MSU. Seriously, UConn beat them by 15 and they shot it like Arizona State on a bad day.

Reaction Score
I could see us losing this game if they aren't focused. Knoxville is still a tough place to play and Harper has at least stopped the bleeding from the last few years. This certainly isn't a FF team like some LV fans want but it's a solid start for her. She does need to pick up an additional win or two against some solid competition so that could start tonight. The Bulldogs need to be ready.

Reaction Score
This game is interesting to me.

Miss State is such a two point dependent team and Tennessee does such a good job at taking that away.

But Tennessee has so little regard for the ball and their offense is so stilted in the half court, it's hard to see how Miss State won't be able to give them fits.

Feels like another 64-60 type game.

Reaction Score
Frankly, Mississippi State will have to play horribly to lose this game. Tennessee may have an edge in rebounding, but I expect that to be more than negated by the turnovers. I am still shocked at how much UConn turned TN over, and that's not even UConn's forte -- as it is for MSU. Seriously, UConn beat them by 15 and they shot it like Arizona State on a bad day.
Unfortunately MSU is perfectly capable of having a horrible game or more specifically playing just well enough to lose. The biggest issue this season has been consistency of effort. Even J Danberry has mental lapses. In a game last week she went up for a simple defensive rebound and let a Georgia player take it from her when she wasn’t paying attention and not securing it. To win this game like everyone expects MSU is going to have to put on a hard press. The effort necessary to successfully run the press simply hasn’t been there. Coach Schaefer has maintained that it’s still a work in progress and several of the players still don’t get that they have to have the same energy all the time.

Reaction Score
I think if Miss St comes to play, they win. I just think they are a better overall team than Tennessee.

My concern for MSU is they go through stretches of rough basketball at times and will go long periods without scoring or get very sloppy. Miss St has been able to score in the paint at will against literally almost every team they have played, including SC and LSU who have physical defenses. Carter has to stay out of foul trouble.

I don’t think it bodes well for Tennessee that MSU wants to heavily press and speed you up the entire game. Tennessee has not shown they will take care of the basketball. I am not sure they keep up with miss st scoring.

VFLfan

Vol For Life
Reaction Score
Hoping it’s a good game and hope we can keep it close to perhaps eek out a win in the end. We’ll see if we can handle their pressure. MSU is a great team.

Reaction Score
I think if Miss St comes to play, they win. I just think they are a better overall team than Tennessee.

My concern for MSU is they go through stretches of rough basketball at times and will go long periods without scoring or get very sloppy. Miss St has been able to score in the paint at will against literally almost every team they have played, including SC and LSU who have physical defenses. Carter has to stay out of foul trouble.

I don’t think it bodes well for Tennessee that MSU wants to heavily press and speed you up the entire game. Tennessee has not shown they will take care of the basketball. I am not sure they keep up with miss st scoring.
It will be hard to drive the ball on Tennessee if they sit in that zone with that eraser(Keys) in the back. However she plays limited minutes so there will be opportunities. SC was strictly man to man so it was easier for MSU quick guards to get to the rim. Dawn refuses to play zone but the one time she did MSU was shut down when they attempted to attack the lane.

Reaction Score
It will be hard to drive the ball on Tennessee if they sit in that zone with that eraser(Keys) in the back. However she plays limited minutes so there will be opportunities. SC was strictly man to man so it was easier for MSU quick guards to get to the rim. Dawn refuses to play zone but the one time she did MSU was shut down when they attempted to attack the lane.

LSU has played a matchup zone, man and straight up zone and State was able to pretty much get any good look that they wanted. Tennessee is a hard nosed defense that will give state some fits but I think they figure out a way to attack their zone.

That said tonight Bibby needs to hit outside shots. I think this is a game Matharu could be a big key.

Reaction Score
LSU has played a matchup zone, man and straight up zone and State was able to pretty much get any good look that they wanted. Tennessee is a hard nosed defense that will give state some fits but I think they figure out a way to attack their zone.

That said tonight Bibby needs to hit outside shots. I think this is a game Matharu could be a big key.
Agreed. I also think A Espinoza-Hunter could also be a factor as Tennessee’s overall lack of quickness won’t be an issue for her.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Agreed. I also think A Espinoza-Hunter could also be a factor as Tennessee’s overall lack of quickness won’t be an issue for her.
To quote Cool Hand Luke "
What we've got here is failure to communicate. Some men you just can't reach. So you get what we had here last week" AEH is not playing any meaningful minutes. In her last 5 games and the last 4 against the dregs of the conference she's averaged 1 min, 4 min, 11 min, 10 min and 2 measly minutes against Georgia. You think she's gonna play against Tennessee at Tennessee?

AEH is a guard and would have to defend against Horston, Davis, Massengale or Burrell. They would take her lunch money and laugh.

Reaction Score

Let’s be real, Tennessee maybe inept offensively but they are far better defensively than LSU and it’s not close. I think UT’s zone will give Miss St trouble unless Vic can get Jackson to make plays from the free throw line (open space in the zone) or Bibby gets hot from 3. I don’t expect Harper to allow them to drive the lane at will.

Reaction Score

i wonder if miss state can shoot them out of the zone?

I think Tennessee will give carter a very hard time too.

Reaction Score
Let’s be real, Tennessee maybe inept offensively but they are far better defensively than LSU and it’s not close. I think UT’s zone will give Miss St trouble unless Vic can get Jackson to make plays from the free throw line (open space in the zone) or Bibby gets hot from 3. I don’t expect Harper to allow them to drive the lane at will.

mutharu seems important.

i think miss state should win, but I'm not 100% sure.

Reaction Score

I wasn’t saying LSU was better but jUst my observations having watched MSU play all year.

I expect there to be major bumps in the road as Miss st has had this happen all year. They will go through stretches playing well but then go through very inept periods as well. If Tennessee is careless with the basketball that’s bad news for them as well. Tennessee’s size will be an issue for every team. How well MSU adjusts will be the question

I believe MSU is the better team but Tennessee is at home so we will see what happens

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I hate to irritate my Bulldog colleagues here but I have chosen Tennessee in this one (and most of you know I despise Tennessee) but with the game at TBA and Rennia Davis, plus the size, I have a feeling. Again, turnovers are a HUGE issue for the LV's but MSU is always due for a clunker every now and then...Sorry :oops:

Reaction Score
This has all the makings of an ugly game. I will be interested to see what the offensive game plan is and how well it works.

Boxerpups4me

Semper Paratus
Reaction Score
i just gotta go with state in this one. what has Tennessee done to fix the turnovers?? i dont see that they have done anything to correct them. state will turn them over a lot. how about harpers pinchent to make ill advised subs during the game? that should also factor..however the biggest issue is tennessees woeful halfcourt game..i mean the tennessee post players in the sc game literally got 3 touches..just inexcusable to be that bad offensively with all that talent..im thinking state by 10+

Reaction Score
Very important for the Vols to protect the ball better than they have all season. The Bulldogs will attack on defense - they are among the top of the SEC in steals per game, but are also a team that fouls a lot in doing so - outside of the top 300 in fouls per gm. Miss. State is also not one of the better SEC teams in scoring defense, but UT is not good in scoring offense.

LOL, it will be the Bulldogs' perimeter/guard defense, versus the Lady Vols' defense in the paint....

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom