Mississippi senator proposes bill closes three Mississippi public schools | The Boneyard

Mississippi senator proposes bill closes three Mississippi public schools

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score

This is going to start happening all around the country as state governments are going to see a decline in enrollment and figure out they need to be more efficient.

It doesn't seem like the bill would pass, but if it did my guess at the three schools closing would be MVSU, Delta State, Mississippi University for Women.

On the Connecticut side, I have no idea why Charter Oak State College (an online institution based in New Britain) isn't absorbed by CCSU. To me, that just makes too much sense. I would also argue that CCSU should be renamed CSU and the other three schools (Western, Eastern, and Southern) should become its three satellite branches.

Reaction Score
Vermont has already begun the consolidation dance with all the moving to/around Northern Vermont University, Vermont Tech, Vermont State etc. Going to see closures and consolidation all over the country I'd imagine.

In CT, the CSCU program is already a sort of consolidation. I don't think ECSU, CCSU, SCSU, or WCSU will be closing. May see some community college closures, especially the satellite locations. As far as UConn satellite campuses go, Waterbury would be the first to go but I think that is safe for now considering the investments UConn has made there recently.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
Here in Michigan, the small, private schools are under duress. NAIA private Concordia just eliminated all athletics and that will robs LT won’t be enough to save them. Some think U of M Flint might close within the decade.

Reaction Score

This is going to start happening all around the country as state governments are going to see a decline in enrollment and figure out they need to be more efficient.

It doesn't seem like the bill would pass, but if it did my guess at the three schools closing would be MVSU, Delta State, Mississippi University for Women.

On the Connecticut side, I have no idea why Charter Oak State College (an online institution based in New Britain) isn't absorbed by CCSU. To me, that just makes too much sense. I would also argue that CCSU should be renamed CSU and the other three schools (Western, Eastern, and Southern) should become its three satellite branches.
Said the same for years about CSU.

Reaction Score
Other than avoidance of change in the Land of Steady Habits, what are the compelling reasons for Eastern (4,100 undergrads) and Western (4,400) continuing as individual universities? At least Southern (8,900) is conveniently located in one of CT’s most densely populated counties, and almost as large as Central (9,500).

If not rolling all of the 4 regional state universities administratively into just 1 Connecticut State University (duh), keep Central and Southern. Potentially, consider utilizing Eastern’s buildings as a community college and/or UConn grad center and/or Storrs-satellite with frequent, dependable shuttles. Shift new entering Eastern applicants to Central, or maybe Southern. Same same with new Western students, either western community college or to New Britain or New Haven on-site or online.

The WCSU property must be worth a good penny, e.g., developers (senior transitional housing? broader residential with relative proximity to the City? other?) Southern, potentially a biotech hub paired with Yale, UConn, corporate and state biotech initiatives?

Alternatively, all of the preceding hypothesizing may be rubbish.

College Simply school facts

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Other than avoidance of change in the Land of Steady Habits, what are the compelling reasons for Eastern (4,100 undergrads) and Western (4,400) continuing as individual universities? At least Southern (8,900) is conveniently located in one of CT’s most densely populated counties, and almost as large as Central (9,500).

Because you don’t want to reduce educational opportunities in the poorer parts of the state. I imagine that a chunk of Eastern students are commuting. Also would be economically devastating to Willimantic.

Not that you want to pour money down a drain but 4000 is a decent sized school.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
It’s kind of a factor of population and university cost.

Reaction Score
Florida has five universities in the top 20 in enrollment growth percentage 2020-23. And Florida’s cost is 50 out 50 states. It is a factor of population vs cost.

Reaction Score
Here in Michigan, the small, private schools are under duress. NAIA private Concordia just eliminated all athletics and that will robs LT won’t be enough to save them. Some think U of M Flint might close within the decade.
It’s gonna happen more and more. Notre Dame College in Ohio: ‘Things went downhill pretty quickly’: Notre Dame College students struggle with news of school’s closing

Solid football program.

Reaction Score
Florida has five universities in the top 20 in enrollment growth percentage 2020-23. And Florida’s cost is 50 out 50 states. It is a factor of population vs cost.
Yes costs matter. But so does investment. Mississippi is objectively a low skilled state. If any state should be working on improving/expanding educational opportunities, not reducing them, it’s MS.

Reaction Score

CSU-New Britain

Reaction Score
Valencia College in Fla has an enrollment of 71,000. But how many are on line ?

Reaction Score
Conn State - Hard Hittin'
Conn State - Willi
Conn State - Danny
Conn State - Southie

Reaction Score
Conn State - Hard Hittin'
Conn State - Willi
Conn State - Danny
Conn State - Southie
Connecticut needs to create a school that brings together different faculty students and teaching styles. This fusion of ideas could support a wide swath of students and futures.
It could be called Conn Fusion.

Reaction Score
Because you don’t want to reduce educational opportunities in the poorer parts of the state. I imagine that a chunk of Eastern students are commuting. Also would be economically devastating to Willimantic.

Not that you want to pour money down a drain but 4000 is a decent sized school.
Eastern is the better school.

Reaction Score
Notre Dame college in Euclid, OH will be closing its doors after this semester. The cost of tuition to the value of a university education in many instances can no longer be justified. Many careers can be had making a living wage without a college degree. With the student loan process, basically nationalized by the federal government universities have ittle incentive in keeping the cost of tuition down.

Reaction Score
Connecticut needs to create a school that brings together different faculty students and teaching styles. This fusion of ideas could support a wide swath of students and futures.
It could be called Conn Fusion.

But it was clever.

Reaction Score
Notre Dame college in Euclid, OH will be closing its doors after this semester. The cost of tuition to the value of a university education in many instances can no longer be justified. Many careers can be had making a living wage without a college degree. With the student loan process, basically nationalized by the federal government universities have ittle incentive in keeping the cost of tuition down.
This is the biggest issue. Even. As a liberal who doesn’t think gov is bad, the availability of endless capital has caused inflation.

Reaction Score
Look at the enrollment declines at Eastern, Central, Southern, and Western. Can't survive LT which means consolidation is coming.

Reaction Score
Look at the enrollment declines at Eastern, Central, Southern, and Western. Can't survive LT which means consolidation is coming.
Seems to have accelerated during the 2019-2020 year.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

If not rolling all of the 4 regional state universities administratively into just 1 Connecticut State University (duh), keep Central and Southern. Potentially, consider utilizing Eastern’s buildings as a community college and/or UConn grad center and/or Storrs-satellite with frequent, dependable shuttles. Shift new entering Eastern applicants to Central, or maybe Southern. Same same with new Western students, either western community college or to New Britain or New Haven on-site or online.

The WCSU property must be worth a good penny, e.g., developers (senior transitional housing? broader residential with relative proximity to the City? other?) Southern, potentially a biotech hub paired with Yale, UConn, corporate and state biotech initiatives?

Alternatively, all of the preceding hypothesizing may be rubbish.

College Simply school facts

I agree. Eastern and Westconn should be satellites. I would split up CCSU and SCSU along academic disciplines. They should all be under one administrative roof. This will happen, it is just a question of when.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I think there will be mergers of state schools across borders within the next 10 years, and I think UConn should go first. I would merge UConn with the SUNY system, and turn UConn into the anchor campus, with Buffalo as the second anchor. The SUNY system is in decline and is going to have to shut a lot of branches. It is entering a death loop because it does not have an anchor school and the various campuses are mostly aging. The SUNY system will continue to decline because the window to re-invest in it has passed. Its decline will hurt New York state. It is in everyone's interest to combine universities in a world with declining enrollment and greater percentage of education delivered online. In traditional M&A terms, the SUNY system is the perfect target to be acquired. It is underperforming, but has a great addressable target market.

UConn could go from being a good school in a medium sized state with potential, to the anchor campus of a combined 24 million people that includes the most important city in the world. THAT is how UConn becomes big time as a university and survives declining nationwide enrollment, and it wouldn't hurt on the realignment front either. If UConn doesn't do this, someone else like Penn State, Rutgers or UMass will, and that would be very bad for UConn.

Reaction Score
I think there will be mergers of state schools across borders within the next 10 years, and I think UConn should go first. I would merge UConn with the SUNY system, and turn UConn into the anchor campus, with Buffalo as the second anchor. The SUNY system is in decline and is going to have to shut a lot of branches. It is entering a death loop because it does not have an anchor school and the various campuses are mostly aging. The SUNY system will continue to decline because the window to re-invest in it has passed. Its decline will hurt New York state. It is in everyone's interest to combine universities in a world with declining enrollment and greater percentage of education delivered online. In traditional M&A terms, the SUNY system is the perfect target to be acquired. It is underperforming, but has a great addressable target market.

UConn could go from being a good school in a medium sized state with potential, to the anchor campus of a combined 24 million people that includes the most important city in the world. THAT is how UConn becomes big time as a university and survives declining nationwide enrollment, and it wouldn't hurt on the realignment front either. If UConn doesn't do this, someone else like Penn State, Rutgers or UMass will, and that would be very bad for UConn.
This is a really bad idea. The political and economic obstacles are too great to overcome. And, no way NY State makes UConn Storrs their anchor campus. The individual states will close down their weaker schools as the SUNY system has about 64 schools! When I saw the ~20% decline in the enrollments at ECSU, CCSU, SCSU, and WCSU, I'm shocked that the state is not talking about consolidation as the enrollments will not recover. The flagship state universities are not having an enrollment problem, but the secondary colleges and community colleges are.

Reaction Score
This is a really bad idea. The political and economic obstacles are too great to overcome. And, no way NY State makes UConn Storrs their anchor campus. The individual states will close down their weaker schools as the SUNY system has about 64 schools! When I saw the ~20% decline in the enrollments at ECSU, CCSU, SCSU, and WCSU, I'm shocked that the state is not talking about consolidation as the enrollments will not recover. The flagship state universities are not having an enrollment problem, but the secondary colleges and community colleges are.
The concept of regionalization is not inherently bad, but the political and organizational dynamics make it incredibly unlikely. SUNY is already in a bit of an uproar because Hochul took the 4 traditional lead universities of the system (Albany, Binghamton, Buffalo and Stony Brook) and declared Buffalo and Stony Brook as flagships, leaving the other two behind. It was somewhat easier because the two leads have AAU status, but it was still controversial. If regionalization was possible NY would want its two flagships to be at least on an equal standing with Storrs (particularly given the latter's lack of AAU membership) - which wouldn't be palatable to Connecticut and simply creates the type of divided focus that was a problem in NY. Merging bureaucracies across state lines and dividing power among the states would also be huge obstacles (anyone looking forward to creating new examples along the lines of Metro-North or the Port Authority?).

You are absolutely right that the smaller state schools will feel pain. The order of risk from greatest risk to lowest is: 3rd/4th tier privates (many already skating on the edge of insolvency), secondary publics, 2nd tier privates, state flagships and elite privates (top 20-30 with massive endowments). Small privates with small endowments and without a defining identity (i.e. JACs, Just Another College) are dead men walking. Among the publics students want to attend flagships where feasible and if a declining pool of high school graduates (combined with lower overall matriculation rates based on cost/benefit tradeoffs) makes that possible for a group that might not have been able to gain admission in the past, it will be at the expense of the smaller publics.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom