Mississippi @ #14 Mississippi St - 1/10/21 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Mississippi @ #14 Mississippi St - 1/10/21

Who will win this game?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Ole Miss is reminding State that they have an in-state rival with this game.. win or lose.

Reaction Score
Coach Yo coaching on full display after that timeout. What an absolute waste. Miss St will luck out and hold on.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
If we need two to tie and I have a 6'5 post player my last shot would NOT be a contested jumper from 15 feet out.

Reaction Score
If we need two to win and I have a 6'5 post player my last shot would NOT be a contested jumper from 15 feet out.
The fact that Austin didn't get the ball to end the game shows how incompetent Coach Yo is. Ole Miss had the game against LSU gift wrapped and they screwed that up too.

Not exactly super impressed with McCray. Jackson had a rough game. Matharu won this for them.

GoDawgs4

MSU and All That Too
Reaction Score
Ole Miss blew this game. We said here , take it. They said, Nah we don’t want it.
Pitiful.
We have a long , long way to go. Very disappointing. Glad to get the win but that is about it.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
The fact that Austin didn't get the ball to end the game shows how incompetent Coach Yo is.

Ole Miss had the game against LSU gift wrapped and they screwed that up too.
Well, she did hire the Maryland assistant coach who brought Shakira with him so...maybe he brought Brenda's clutch coaching philosophy with him to Rebelville...:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
I watched and was frustrated. Cooks has got to give us more. I had expectations she would be another weapon for us and isn't giving much. Bibby left in part due to a fear of losing PT to Cooks and right now I would trade them. Jackson had a rough game. I will give Ole Miss some credit but we didn't look the part of a top 25 team tonight.

Reaction Score
Well, she did hire the Maryland assistant coach who brought Shakira with him so...maybe he brought Brenda's clutch coaching philosophy with him to Rebelville...:rolleyes:
Her coaching philosophy is probably 'whatever it takes to get top talent here'. Its partly working I guess, they aren't the worst team in the SEC anymore. Coach Yo will probably fire that ex Maryland coach once Shakira is gone and look for the next Coach that can get a star player through the door

Reaction Score
Ole Miss blew this game. We said here , take it. They said, Nah we don’t want it.
Pitiful.
We have a long , long way to go. Very disappointing. Glad to get the win but that is about it
Certainly not a well played game by the Dawgs. Jackson had one of those games where she took shots she normally hits, lost confidence When they did not go in. Not sure why Nikki did not give her a rest and see if she could reset. No cheap shot intended but I think we are really missing Vic!

Reaction Score
Certainly not a well played game by the Dawgs. Jackson had one of those games where she took shots she normally hits, lost confidence When they did not go in. Not sure why Nikki did not give her a rest and see if she could reset. No cheap shot intended but I think we are really missing Vic!
Clearly we all knew we would miss Vic but I think all hoped the experience of the team would help the transition. Right now they aren't bad but are missing a step they had last season.

Reaction Score
Its still early but my biggest takeaway so far under McCray is MSU is not as sound defensively as they were under Vic. In this game specifically MSU was lifeless and literally played like they didn't want to be there. Meanwhile Ole Miss looked like a team wanting to prove something. They could have pulled it off but couldn't make that extra shot down the stretch.

McCray walked into a pretty great situation with the roster at MSU so it will be interesting to see what happens down the road. The jury is still out on her at this time.

GoDawgs4

MSU and All That Too
Reaction Score
Ole Miss played the game like it was a rivalry. We did not. That is what was disappointing to me. Players are going to miss shots, make mistakes, have bad games etc. None of that bothers me. But at least do it at full blast giving 110% in the effort department. That is what was disappointing. Sure we are missing Vic but I do think McCray is going develop into a good coach but she is a long way from getting there.
I hope the next time out we don’t play like we are entitled. Now to be fair , we did that a few times under Schaefer as well.
We will see.

Reaction Score
Some players sleep walking and giving terrible effort. I would trade Matharu and Hayes for Mingo and Cooks right now. I said this on another board, but it's interesting how Morgan William and Jazz Holmes were 3 stars and Myah Taylor was a low 5 star. I like Myah a lot, but she has not lived up to those two. Still, she gives max effort and is good with ball security. She had a clutch shot and had some clutch free throws at the end.

Reaction Score
I watched and was frustrated. Cooks has got to give us more. I had expectations she would be another weapon for us and isn't giving much. Bibby left in part due to a fear of losing PT to Cooks and right now I would trade them. Jackson had a rough game. I will give Ole Miss some credit but we didn't look the part of a top 25 team tonight.
Cooks and Carter on the floor together is a big no for me. I find State is much better with Rickea at the 4. Maybe it's just me.

Reaction Score
Its still early but my biggest takeaway so far under McCray is MSU is not as sound defensively as they were under Vic. In this game specifically MSU was lifeless and literally played like they didn't want to be there. Meanwhile Ole Miss looked like a team wanting to prove something. They could have pulled it off but couldn't make that extra shot down the stretch.

McCray walked into a pretty great situation with the roster at MSU so it will be interesting to see what happens down the road. The jury is still out on her at this time.
I listened to the post game press conference and Coach McCray-Penson said she was concerned with the flat footed shots and that we had too many times we had to walk up the ball instead of pushing it like she wants. She said she needs to look at whether she is practicing too hard and taking their legs for games. She also spoke of the lack of numbers specifically X Wiggins (who wasn’t medically cleared this game and last). The concerning part about the first statement is I would expect a seasoned coach to have a better grasp of pacing practice versus games. Maybe it is a matter of learning her personnel.
In general this team needs to learn to stomp on the throat when a team is down 15. This happened against Florida.
In contrast she is starting to sit some players not playing well. At the end of the game he had J Carter, R Jackson, M Hayes, A Matharu, and M Taylor and that made the difference. A Matharu and M Hayes are starting to get more and more consistent.
Finally, it is almost like she is tightening the grip on the team offensively. They are being very deliberate and running a lot of clock before taking a shot. It’s not just passing around around the perimeter and jacking up a prayer but it is obvious she is running a play late in the shot clock.

Reaction Score
Cooks is underwhelming. I'm not sure how much injuries play into this, but I know Nikki said she had to be mindful about how much she played Sidney because of her knees. Apparently, she also dealt with some injuries at Michigan State. I agree with putting Rickea at the 4, and I'd put Hayes at the 3. Love Hayes' energy.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Ol' Miss had four chances to tie the game when they were down by two late and the wrong players took shots. To me, that is when the game changed. I understand why she did not have Shakira take the last shot because she was struggling. The little guard who was driving and scoring should have taken the last shot instead of passing the ball, imo.

Reaction Score
Ole Miss played the game like it was a rivalry. We did not. That is what was disappointing to me. Players are going to miss shots, make mistakes, have bad games etc. None of that bothers me. But at least do it at full blast giving 110% in the effort department. That is what was disappointing. Sure we are missing Vic but I do think McCray is going develop into a good coach but she is a long way from getting there.
I hope the next time out we don’t play like we are entitled. Now to be fair , we did that a few times under Schaefer as well.
We will see.
Vic had that game in the NCAA against Uconn where Stewie blocked 3 shots in the same possesion. That game Mississippi St got destroyed, and Vic has gone on to be a great coach.
There are games where the ball doesn't go in the hoop, but defense can always be there.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom