Missing inside game | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Missing inside game

Reaction Score
ONO knows this, but I think she really wants to pass, probably with no confidence in her shot. I know she can drive, but that seems to be her third option: pass, shoot, drive.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I think one of the biggest benefits of Azzi and Nika returning (particularly Nika) is that Evina will no longer have to function as the point guard. She is doing that now because she is the best available option, not because she has particular skills in that position or because it is her natural position. (We can thank Holly Warlick for giving her some experience in this role.)
When Nika gets back (with or without Azzi), I would expect her to be the starting PG until Paige returns. Then Evina could play 20-25 minutes at the 2 or 3, which I think is her natural position. I think her shooting (including from the 3-point line) will get MUCH better when she doesn't have the ball-handling responsibilities and can catch and shoot (or come off screens) more often.
In the near-term, I would expect to see a lineup with Nika at the 1, Caroline Ducharme at the 3, Dorka, and Liv, with the 2 position being platooned between Evina and Christyn. When Azzi comes in off the bench, Evina can potentially move to the 3 and Caroline Ducharme to the 4. I expect to see limited minutes for Azzi (maybe 15 per game) until the coaches can see how durable she is, how her defensive mobility is, and how reliable her shot is.
I don't think Caroline Ducharme will score 24 every night, or play 40 minutes very often. But I won't be surprised if she and Nika lead in minutes until Paige returns. Liv / Dorka / Aaliyah / Amari will spread out the minutes in the front court out of necessity, because they are all foul machines (Dorka less than the others). Caroline Ducharme / Evina / Christyn / Azzi will share the minutes at the 2 and 3, and they will all benefit from fewer minutes than they have had to play recently -- they will play better with fewer minutes.
PG is the only position where there is no really satisfactory backup to Nika, which is why her foot had better be very healthy and durable. In a pinch (but only then), Evina and Azzi could be used to back her up.
I wouldn't expect any more changes to the starting lineup until Paige returns because there is not a significant gap in talent between the players in the current starting lineup and those that are returning from injury. Both the eye test and the stats (A/TO and PPP) would tell us that Nika is not an upgrade over Evina Westbrook as the starting PG. Nika is averaging 10.5 MPG on the season and is still recovering from an injury. It would be unreasonable to expect Nika to even ramp up to the 24.2 MPG she averaged last season & be among the team leader in MPG. Nika's injury is 9 months old-longer than Azzi's injury. When Azzi/Aubrey/& Nika are ready to return, work them in slowly with Aubrey Sub in for Caroline at the 3, Azzi subs for Christyn and Nika subs for Evina at PG. AE and Amari can continue to provide backup minutes at the 4 and 5 positions. Sticking with the same starters will also allow them time to continue to develop as a unit which is badly needed.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The idea is to post and repost when you lose optimal position. It’s a difficult concept to master and it can be exhausting work for any Big. Pheesa was the best I’ve ever seen. She would establish beautiful position for entry passes over and over again, catch every pass with her Inspector Gadget arms and usually score with an extensive array of quick low post moves. Alas, there’s no one quite like Pheesa on this UConn team.
Rebecca had an interesting comment about Dorka. She said she just keeps on working even when the guards weren’t hitting her. She said as a post if you post up and don’t get the entry pass after a while it becomes easy to say “ well I’m just not gonna put that work in if they’re not going to reward it.“ She noted that Dorka just kept pounding away and establishing position. I thought it was an interesting observation.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I wouldn't expect any more changes to the starting lineup until Paige returns because there is not a significant gap in talent between the players in the current starting lineup and those that are returning from injury. Both the eye test and the stats (A/TO and PPP) would tell us that Nika is not an upgrade over Evina Westbrook as the starting PG. Nika is averaging 10.5 MPG on the season and is still recovering from an injury. It would be unreasonable to expect Nika to even ramp up to the 24.2 MPG she averaged last season & be among the team leader in MPG. Nika's injury is 9 months old-longer than Azzi's injury. When Azzi/Aubrey/& Nika are ready to return, work them in slowly with Aubrey Sub in for Caroline at the 3, Azzi subs for Christyn and Nika subs for Evina at PG. AE and Amari can continue to provide backup minutes at the 4 and 5 positions. Sticking with the same starters will also allow them time to continue to develop as a unit which is badly needed.
Obviously a healthy Azzi would be huge for us as it will prevent people from keeping on Caroline on the perimeter and prevent them from having other players pack the paint. But, personally, I really want to see Aubrey back and playing. It breaks my heart that she hasn’t been able to get in there.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Rebecca had an interesting comment about Dorka. She said she just keeps on working even when the guards weren’t hitting her. She said as a post if you post up and don’t get the entry pass after a while it becomes easy to say “ well I’m just not gonna put that work in if they’re not going to reward it.“ She noted that Dorka just kept pounding away and establishing position. I thought it was an interesting observation.
Rebecca's commentary was a great tribute to Dorka but it was also a clear criticism of Evina and Christyn. A further criticism is that as has already been pointed out by @Aluminny69 UCONN's best sequence of getting the ball inside was the last few minutes of the third quarter when Evina was not on the floor.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
The idea is to post and repost when you lose optimal position. It’s a difficult concept to master and it can be exhausting work for any Big. Pheesa was the best I’ve ever seen. She would establish beautiful position for entry passes over and over again, catch every pass with her Inspector Gadget arms and usually score with an extensive array of quick low post moves. Alas, there’s no one quite like Pheesa on this UConn team.

I remember Pheesa consistently moving around the lane to get position time and time again.

In 2017-18, Jess Shepard's first year with the Irish, she played exclusively the low post. Her specialty was the seal. She was remarkable at getting the space and angle she needed to receive the entry pass, then simply do a lay-in or baby hook.

Of course, both Pheesa and Shep had people that could deliver excellent entry passes. Thought that whole UConn team passed well, while ND's trio of Mabrey-Kat Westbeld and Jackie Young knew how to get the ball to Shepard

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Rebecca's commentary was a great tribute to Dorka but it was also a clear criticism of Evina and Christyn. A further criticism is that as has already been pointed out by @Aluminny69 UCONN's best sequence of getting the ball inside was the last few minutes of the third quarter when Evina was not on the floor.

One could say Geno himself was alluding to that when he did his post-first half interview.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Filed under "beating a dead horse", I have a recurring mental picture of Ono, all alone at the foul line, looking for someone to whom to make a pass. The defense is, as you say, "packed in", but there's a left lane open, for her to drive, shoot or hit a teammate sliding from the other side. She has to make a defender or two "honest"., because she's all alone out there, unchallenged because of her low-percentage jumper. Yesterday, that might have been the difference, driving, shooting and/or being fouled.
UConn’s first basket of the game was Liv driving to the basket and scoring, while getting fouled and converting the “and one.” That was against Dixon, Louisville’s 6’5” starting center. Cochran, who came into the game early to replace Dixon, played the majority of the minutes at center for Louisville and is a much better defender.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
UConn’s first basket of the game was Liv driving to the basket and scoring, while getting fouled and converting the “and one.” That was against Dixon, Louisville’s 6’5” starting center. Cochran, who came into the game early to replace Dixon, played the majority of the minutes at center for Louisville and is a much better defender.
First Basket was Ducharme Full court Eurostep off the block. Liv's was 2nd.

Reaction Score
I don't believe the problem to be strictly caused by outside shooting. It's a two dimensional problem: 1) UCONN current primary ball handlers ( Christyn and Evina) do not have the ability to consistently compromise the first line of defender with the dribble, are not good enough passers to make timely entry passes into the post and are not consistent enough shooters to get the respect of the defense. 2) UCONN bigs (Dorka, AE, Liv) are not good enough finisher at the basket to punish the defense and consistently make easy baskets. The net result is the half court sets are always depended on almost perfect execution and UCONN is resorting to often sending multiple players to the offensive boards.

At times, CW dribbles too much. Most of the dribbling is left/right and when she can‘t get past the defender, she appears to get frustrated and forces a bad shot. When she stops being aggressive, she is prone to turns.

Reaction Score
A problem for UConn was their inside game was missing an their outside shooting wasn’t good.

Looking at the stats, Louisville took 15 3-pointers and made 8. Van Lith only took two but made both. UConn also took 15 but only made 3. There’s a 15 point difference right there. Westbrook was 0-5 on her 3 pointers.

Louisville also took twice as many free throws and was 17/20 on them (85%). UConn only took 10 free throws and made 7.

So, some better shooting and maybe playing more inside would have been better.
The prescription is well and good, but in order for it to work, you need the right essentials. No matter how much people wish they play inside, neither Dorka or Liv are comfortable down low, nor do they thrive there. At this point, you can add Edwards into the mix, given her consistent struggles underneath to create a shot.
Without Paige and Azzi, the team has no dependable, consistent outside shooting, Caroline notwithstanding.

In UConn’s championship years, there was always a reliable scorer in the paint. Think Morgan Tuck, Napheesa Colllier and of course, Swin Cash, Tina Charles. The current team is not constructed as such.

Another missing component is easy buckets from back door cuts. For the most part, without Paige, the transition game is almost nonexistent. This team, unlike so many of the past, has to fight hard for every basket. They have to grind it out. What is or should be apparent is that Paige camouflaged a lot of these problems last season. Hence Geno’ insistence on having Paige on the court at all times.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
Reminds me of a comment on Yankee television years ago by Phil Rizzuto, a good player, a really unique and entertaining announcer but renowned homer. Anyway, Yankees down 5, two outs bottom of the 9th and Rizzuto offers, “All we need is a couple of walks, a base hit, a bloop and a blast and we are right back in this thing.” My brother and I still throw that out there when conversation appropriate.
I believe that "bloop and a blast" phrase was coined by Bob Prince, the legendary announcer for the Pittsburgh Pirates on radio station KDKA in Pittsburgh.

Reaction Score
Getting the ball to the post quickly can also help a lot. Caroline had a good example of that in the second half. Quick ball movement makes a world of difference and often has to do with how the kid's brains are wired. Paige makes GREAT spontaneous decisions. I see Caroline having a similar tendency. I'm not saying it's intelligence but just quick processing of visual data or whatever. Some kids have it and some don't. It's like on a soccer field. Often you find one kid getting most of the head balls in mid field. Some kids track visual movement better and know where the ball is going to land before others.

I also find that Dorka can often be open and she doesn't get the pass. My best guess is maybe she has gotten those passes a lot in practice and hasn't converted or some interpersonal reason but the girls all seem to like Dorka a lot. She will hopefully get more opportunities in the near future.

Reaction Score
Getting the ball to the bigs not just a guard issue. Our current offense has bigs trying to get into position with no picks and little movement before the pass. Having the bigs try to push their defender than just stand there holding position rarely works. This was an issue even prior to Paige's injury.
A double high post does not suit our personnel. After the first cuts they often don't know what to do with the ball, hoist long 2s, or just pass it back out. I haven't seen low block motion picks, or a non-clogged middle. The bigs are also not passing well amongst themselves.

Almost every men's team in the country now plays a perimeter set or 3-2 set with high post picks that originate from the blocks so that the middle stays open. CW needs a lot of open room to drive and she can't do it with a double high post. It's not just about CW though. CD can drive also. Until Azzi comes back we are not a good outside shooting team and we have to maximize our strengths on offense. It really is time to try another set.

Reaction Score
EW and CW are liabilities if they are not hitting from the perimeter. They don't provide good perimeter defense, rebounding, leadership, and are prone to turnovers. I would play the Big 3, CD at the wing, and EW at PG and see what happens. The perimeter offense doesn't work now because frankly we're not a good shooting team without Paige, except for CD.

Reaction Score
Shooting the 3 can be streaky, and susceptible to small sample size error, right? Just one game ago Evina was putting up decent 3 ball percentages and then an 0 for 5 day put her at around 30%. CW is capable of 35-37% percentages as well, which are acceptable. Paige, Azzi and CD all can help these #'s over time. We are a better perimeter shooting team than has shown so far. I think long term it's a decent strength and may even end up our key in March. We are not going to dominate as we have 5 plus years ago. We need good 3 point shooting to win against some teams.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
⁰No matter how much people wish they play inside, neither Dorka or Liv are comfortable down low, nor do they thrive there. At this point, you can add Edwards into the mix, given her consistent struggles underneath to create a shot.
This is a complete myth. It may once have been true of Liv, but is no longer true. It is true that she prefers to play at the high post on offense, and Geno is doing that this year to take advantage of her passing skills. Unlike in previous years, he can do that this year because he has Dorka and Aaliyah to play down low. But Liv can and does mix it up to get rebounds, and she has been successful with that against all opponents.

After the Louisville game, I don't see how you can say that Dorka isn't comfortable down low. On what basis do you say that? The whole problem in that game was that the guards weren't getting the ball to her when she had worked herself into a scoring position.

Aaliyah is getting slowly better in each game. She will get back to being last year's Aaliyah in a few weeks, I confidently predict.

The problem with UConn's offense right now is the guard play, not the inside game. Look at the Louisville box score (points in paint, second chance points, offensive rebounds) for all the evidence you need about that.

Reaction Score

Missing inside game...​

No attack here at the OP just a way to keep the response brief. The inside game is missing as they try to cover for the outside game that is saddled on the bench. AKA The recovery room. ;)

Reaction Score
I don’t buy these opinions about needing time to develop. 1. Close games are won by players who rise to the occasions and take over the game. We haven’t seen this happen. They are won by teams who have the ability to move up to another gear in the 4th quarter instead of disappearing. 2. Our offensive scheme seems very constant and predictable. A well coached team seems to be able to defend it much too easy.

I mentioned in another thread and someone repeated here that yesterday’s game was the time to leave the 3 bigs in the game. Our advantage was in the paint. CW and EW were not going to be the path to victory.

Paige is gone but the other starters are playing. They just aren’t playing that well. Soon, the BE schedule will be here and we will go on a winning streak even if they continue to play at the current level. Geno said yesterday that Sweet C is the only player who is listening to him. Has the coach lost this team? I don’t know but so far this season Geno joins his players in not rising to the occasion.
According to Geno they haven’t listened to him for years.
Remember when he said: I tell them something and they take it as a suggestion.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
This is a complete myth. It may once have been true of Liv, but is no longer true. It is true that she prefers to play at the high post on offense, and Geno is doing that this year to take advantage of her passing skills. Unlike in previous years, he can do that this year because he has Dorka and Aaliyah to play down low. But Liv can and does mix it up to get rebounds, and she has been successful with that against all opponents.

After the Louisville game, I don't see how you can say that Dorka isn't comfortable down low. On what basis do you say that? The whole problem in that game was that the guards weren't getting the ball to her when she had worked herself into a scoring position.
Aaliyah is getting slowly better in each game. She will get back to being last year's Aaliyah in a few weeks, I confidently predict.
The problem with UConn's offense right now is the guard play, not the inside game. Look at the Louisville box score (points in paint, second chance points, offensive rebounds) for all the evidence you need about that.
You can certainly look at the Louisville game if you are a glass half full or you can look at the season box score if you desire a broader perspective. For the season Dorka is shooting 44%, AE 46% and Liv 57%. That is not good enough accuracy for post players to keep the defense honest nor does it justifying the coaching staff designing more plays for the UCONN post players to get more touches in the paint. I fully agree that the UCONN guards (Evina and CW) have been tardy with delivering the ball to the post on many occasions but the post players have got to become more productive with the touches they are getting. More productivity can come in the form of less turnovers (Liv is the team leader) or getting to the FT line, increased FG accuracy.

Reaction Score
Watching Stanford play SC shows that the Cardinal bigs are hard nosed and more than willing to mix it up with Boston & Co. No backing down. Hitting 3 pointers also helps big time.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom