Missed tackles vs NC State | The Boneyard

Missed tackles vs NC State

ZOOCONN

the drive to win has to come from within
Reaction Score
You can knock Joe all you want...but the defense missed a s*** load of tackles. By the 3rd....it looked like they wanted no part of Armstrong. I couldn't even tell if they were spying him.
Mora stated postgame they don’t spy. I was yelling it all game. He killed us with his legs.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
NC State QB was dancing around all night. Surprised he didn’t hit 100 yards rushing.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Mora stated postgame they don’t spy. I was yelling it all game. He killed us with his legs.
I don't think it would have mattered if they did. The way they tackled, or didn't, they wouldn't have been effective. On his last QB run, Armstrong should have been tackled at least twice behind or at the line of scrimmage. On another play, where it looked like we had a spy on him, he easily broke the tackle and got the first down.

Reaction Score
Mitchell played a really bad game.

It's one thing for some of the massive DLs to not get a hand on a quick QB, but an All-American LB whose supposedly an NFL prospect needs to make these plays.

Bouyer-Randle of last year was better than any of these guys tonight.

ZOOCONN

the drive to win has to come from within
Reaction Score
I don't think it would have mattered if they did. The way they tackled, or didn't, they wouldn't have been effective. On his last QB run, Armstrong should have been tackled at least twice behind or at the line of scrimmage. On another play, where it looked like we had a spy on him, he easily broke the tackle and got the first down.
Very true, only LB I would have trusted to spy him would have been Jackson and they need him more out in the field. Plack had a rough night.

Reaction Score
DL got manhandled. Embarassing.
Jackson mitchell played like a 3rd-team all-fciac player.

and the OL couldnt move anyone on a key playcall.

and before i go off on Charlton, his choice was wrong.
we have 9 days to get better.

it doesnt too promising.
I don't think it is as bad as your last statement. They have the opportunity to clean up their poor tackling and LB play in the next two games against Georgia State and FIU. I'm still confident they can improve, win two games and be ready for Duke in a few weeks.

Reaction Score
I think we’ll all agree on this one. The tackling was awful. Major disappointment.
Tackling was bad, almost as bad as the announcers. Play by play guy sounded as if he had to gulp air between sentences. Distracted from the Game on tv.

Reaction Score
Tackling was bad, almost as bad as the announcers. Play by play guy sounded as if he had to gulp air between sentences. Distracted from the Game on tv.
I just muted the telecast. I'm sure that I did not miss any insights anyway.

Reaction Score
Please don't rag on Jackson. He lead the team in tackles with 15 tackles. He can't do everything.

As bad as our defense looked with the missed tackles, it was not why we lost the game. In fact, take a look at this:

Screen Shot 2023-09-01 at 6.39.01 AM.png

Two things really stand out to me.
1. NC State had 74 plays wheras UConn only had 46. NC State had 8 more minutes of possession. Our offense just could not stay out on the field.
2. Our non-Jackson linebackers are the biggest source of missed tackles. Plack stood out the most to me but Tui was just as bad. Last year, Swenson was usually a top 3 tackler and Bouyer-Randle in the top 7. Durante had 14 tackles is amazing to me because he's a safety and NC State rushed 60% of the time.

Our defense is overall better than last year. NC State is a top 40, maybe top 25 team and our defense did their job overall. My biggest concern going into the season was our passing game. Last night did nothing to alleviate those concerns.

Reaction Score
Please don't rag on Jackson. He lead the team in tackles with 15 tackles. He can't do everything.

As bad as our defense looked with the missed tackles, it was not why we lost the game. In fact, take a look at this:

View attachment 91130

Two things really stand out to me.
1. NC State had 74 plays wheras UConn only had 46. NC State had 8 more minutes of possession. Our offense just could not stay out on the field.
2. Our non-Jackson linebackers are the biggest source of missed tackles. Plack stood out the most to me but Tui was just as bad. Last year, Swenson was usually a top 3 tackler and Bouyer-Randle in the top 7. Durante had 14 tackles is amazing to me because he's a safety and NC State rushed 60% of the time.

Our defense is overall better than last year. NC State is a top 40, maybe top 25 team and our defense did their job overall. My biggest concern going into the season was our passing game. Last night did nothing to alleviate those concerns.
We can love Jackson and still say he played poorly, which he did. 16 tackles made 5, 10 and 15 yards down field pads the sheets but doesn’t help. D line is slow and it showed against a quality squad.

Positives are in short yardage these guys are really tough.

Reaction Score
We can love Jackson and still say he played poorly, which he did. 16 tackles made 5, 10 and 15 yards down field pads the sheets but doesn’t help. D line is slow and it showed against a quality squad.

Positives are in short yardage these guys are really tough.
I suppose if Jackson was the second coming of Lawrence Taylor, he could have single-handedly won us the game on defense. There were a drive that Jackson killed all by himself with tackles in the backfield. But as an offense, you simply run the ball away from the guy that's hurting you.

Jackson is our middle linebacker. How many big runs up the middle did NC State? How many big runs came from the flank?

I suppose you can argue that because he's the team captain, he gets more of the blame. But defense is a team game and Jackson needs more help from his other linebackers.

Reaction Score
Speaking of tackling anyone read/hear anything on Dixon-Williams ? One of the key defenders, I don't remember seeing him for much of the game/ second half with Cross out there at safety. Seems like a big downgrade. Injured ?

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
What was up with the lead guy's voice? Does he always sound that way? Hard to believe his job is to talk and he does it so poorly.

Reaction Score
Speaking of tackling anyone read/hear anything on Dixon-Williams ? One of the key defenders, I don't remember seeing him for much of the game/ second half with Cross out there at safety. Seems like a big downgrade. Injured ?
Lower body injury…

Reaction Score
What was up with the lead guy's voice? Does he always sound that way? Hard to believe his job is to talk and he does it so poorly.
It sounded like his voice kept cracking. I thought maybe he’d just reached puberty.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
It sounded like his voice kept cracking. I thought maybe he’d just reached puberty.
I read in another thread on here that he has a medical condition that causes the problem. Tv announcer seems like an odd career choice if you hace that issue.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom