Missed bunnies | The Boneyard

Missed bunnies

Status
Not open for further replies.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
In all my years of watching basketball, I can't remember so many seemingly easy layups or high-percentage short shots missed by this team. Even on the rare occasions when we have an offensive rebound or tip, it seems like we can't make the follow-up shot. Really puzzling.

I'm not sure it's something you can practice as a team, but across the board the team as a whole left close to 20 points out there. I have no explanation. It's abysmal.

Even worse, those missed bunnies always result in the other team heading the other way on the break for easy buckets of their own.

Someone help me explain why this is happening? Strength? Concentration? Mental thing? I'm at a loss.

Reaction Score
In all my years of watching basketball, I can't believe how many seemingly easy layups or high-percentage short shots have been missed by this team. Even on the rare occasions when we have an offensive rebound or tip, it seems like we can't make the follow-up shot. Really puzzling.

I'm not sure it's something you can practice as a team, but across the board the team as a whole left close to 20 points out there. I have no explanation. It's abysmal.

Even worse, those missed bunnies always result in the other team heading the other way on the break for easy buckets of their own.

Someone help me explain why this is happening? Strength? Concentration? Mental thing? I'm at a loss.
I'm as exasperated as you. Theses are shots that a 5th grader can make in their sleep. It is absolutely mind boggling.

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
Yes, rushed under pressure is one reason, and the ability to finish from your other hand is another.

Didn't CV try to his left hand on those breaks?

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Finishing by the bigs has always been a problem with these bigs
They just aren't scorers
Maybe the win will settle these guys down - they are way too hyper and confused

Reaction Score
This happened all last year too with Gibbs and Purvis. I dont' get it.

Reaction Score
Some of it is panicky crap, but there are just several bad finishers on the team and nobody on the team has great hands. This is also apparent in how easily Purvis, Larrier, Adams (he dribbles too high), and all of our bigs get stripped.

I like Vital a lot but he is 0-3 on layups so far, I believe.

Reaction Score
In all my years of watching basketball, I can't remember so many seemingly easy layups or high-percentage short shots missed by this team. Even on the rare occasions when we have an offensive rebound or tip, it seems like we can't make the follow-up shot. Really puzzling.

Can these kids get the yips like golfers? Rather have a 6 footer than a 2 footer?:eek:

Reaction Score
This was the case all last year as well, the offense isn't exactly Iowa State during the Hoiberg years but it wouldn't look nearly as bad if they could just finish their shots within 5ft of the rim and connect on a reasonable clip on the open looks from 3. They're getting plenty of good looks, between the missed/botched layups by Vital last night that led to 5 point swings due to the scrambled D, the missed shots at the rim by AB and KF, and all of the missed open looks by Purvis they should have won comfortably by dbl digits. Same thing with the first 2 games, Purvis and missed layups/putbacks are killing them.

Reaction Score
I don't know about anyone else, but I'm fine with Larrier taking 15+ shots a game. I know some people have been angry with his shot selection, but he and Jalen, now with AG out, are the only ones that can create their own shots. His shot seems silky, and he atlas has a mediocre at worst % from 3 so far on the young season.

Reaction Score
What bothered me the most about the missed "bunnies" was not the miss, but not getting back on defense. Maybe the sign of a young team, but inexcusable nonetheless.

Reaction Score
No confidence, tight (from both bad losses), pressure and lots of other 'mental' reasons to me.

A confident Jalen is an AA candidate.
A confident Purvis is a mini Ferrari.
A confident Larrier is a scoring machine
A confident Jackson is an assassin
A confident Vital is a 'mini' freshman Bazz
A confident AG is a Ryan Boatright (highest compliment)
A confident Facey is a rebounding machine with an elbow jumper
A confident Amida is a Chuck O upgrade
A confident Enoch has 2 fouls all game and brings his O game

When this team starts winning a lot of this stuff will be fixed. If they don't start winning then you can pin this thread.

Reaction Score
Very strange - don't they practice bunnies in pre-game warm-up? Is there a summer bunny camp somewhere??

Reaction Score
Very strange - don't they practice bunnies in pre-game warm-up? Is there a summer bunny camp somewhere??

Much like our staff is short on helping the big men improve they do a real crappy job teaching the "bunnies" - we need a "bunnies coach" in a huge way Head bang

Reaction Score
To me it involves rushing the shot because of fear of blockage, not taking time. Sometimes they will be blocked or disrupted,that's the nature of the game. The pump fake is never used by any of our players, guess the coaches don't like it. As far as this team more than others, not convinced of that because I remember screaming at the screen because of short shots not going down every year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom